LLY: How much can a stock bottom end LLY take?

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
and to further paints statement, 45* (which is as high as that table goes) is not enough for my LLY(at high rpm) which has made 300+ passes, and is NOT driven easily on the street, as my DD.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
and to further paints statement, 45* (which is as high as that table goes) is not enough for my LLY(at high rpm) which has made 300+ passes, and is NOT driven easily on the street, as my DD.

So do you actually see 45 deg on the scanner when you log?. and I agree with you because if you don't start the injection event sooner as rpm goes up the piston is traveling faster you just end up with a huge flame thrower spraying the top of the piston. melted pistons. but big timing and pulse in the lower rpm is where bent rods come from right?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
So I've ran 3300 pw since 2007 ranging from 34-38* timing above 3200 rpm running 12.3's all the way down to 11.8... I've got roughly 350 1/4 passes on it with many dyno pulls and dicking around on the street. Timing and big pw does not kill LB7 and LLY pistons in my experience.

Are the pistons delipped maybe?

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona

nice job 'sir', as usual you don't read the whole thread. first link was an injector, and second link the lly piston "had a hairline crack" but was already otherwise destroyed.

Im not saying lly/lb7 pistons cant CRACK, and im not saying LBZ/LMM pistons cant MELT either. it is just more common for LBZ/LMM pistons to craxck.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Anything that creates high cylinder pressures and negative torque.
So a tight charger or allot of vane position can also do it.
But you got the idea.

Yep must be why mine lives with no studs and original gaskets at the 600 hp mark for so long.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
So do you actually see 45 deg on the scanner when you log?. and I agree with you because if you don't start the injection event sooner as rpm goes up the piston is traveling faster you just end up with a huge flame thrower spraying the top of the piston. melted pistons. but big timing and pulse in the lower rpm is where bent rods come from right?

bent rods come from torque in low RPM, regardless of timing or pulse duration.

and yes I have no timing limiters, but im hesitant to post about this on the open forum because people learning how to tune will attempt to do it with limited knowledge and break their, well, everythings.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland

And how do we make torque at slower piston speed?

and yes I have no timing limiters, but im hesitant to post about this on the open forum because people learning how to tune will attempt to do it with limited knowledge and break their, well, everythings.

My point 2 pages ago duh

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon

Yeah no doubt. I have thought about bumping timing in the higher rpm but it runs really good the way mine is now. 28 and 3200 pw shifting at 3450. might be a little low on the timing but I don't race or anything just rail on it on the way home on a straight stretch, (i'm sure the residents hate me lol)

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Yeah no doubt. I have thought about bumping timing in the higher rpm but it runs really good the way mine is now. 28 and 3200 pw shifting at 3450. might be a little low on the timing but I don't race or anything just rail on it on the way home on a straight stretch, (i'm sure the residents hate me lol)

low timing is great for cyl psi, just keep an eye on the EGTs with larger tunes.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
When you heat a piece of metal and cool it down over and over what happens to it? Hardening.

Now what happens when you heat it even hotter and continually cool it down? Hardening to a greater extent.

Hard metallic compounds crack.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
they arent too bad the most i see is 1300deg now with all the profab stuff and danville turbo. my tow tune won't even go over 1050deg with a 9k trailer behind me at 70 pulling a hill in OD. love it for towing. if i turn the switch up two clicks it will climb to 1250deg though.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
they arent too bad the most i see is 1300deg now with all the profab stuff and danville turbo. my tow tune won't even go over 1050deg with a 9k trailer behind me at 70 pulling a hill in OD. love it for towing. if i turn the switch up two clicks it will climb to 1250deg though.

It is not unheard of for stock charger trucks to peg an 1800* gauge on handheld programmers...and most people start with handhelds on stock trucks.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
yeah no kidding I used to be able to hit 1350 with a cat back and a afe intake and no tuner. now its at that temp with double the ponies.