How are low oil prices affecting your business/trade?

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
O&G guys are about to experience the same thing the housing construction guys did couple decade ago when the artificial inflated housing market collapsed

From a construction guy who builds everything from national chain retail boxes in the city to mancamps in the oilfields not only do I disagree, but I will say you are comparing apples and lawnmowers.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I think the Saudi's will blink first, curtail production and prices will rise again.

Even the almighty "opec" can't sustain prices this low. Hint: they aren't making any money.

The question is not if but when, will oil go back up.

they make money till around 15 a barrel so they got awhile

if oil was 85-95 a barrel that'd be a happy medium. if everyone in the generals public saw what it takes to get it from 10,000 down to the gas pump they think its cheap at 3-4 bucks a gallon

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
they make money till around 15 a barrel so they got awhile

if oil was 85-95 a barrel that'd be a happy medium. if everyone in the generals public saw what it takes to get it from 10,000 down to the gas pump they think its cheap at 3-4 bucks a gallon

I read an internal report from one of our customers (a heavy hitter) that they(opec) actually lose money on anything less than 70 a barrel. Who knows though.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Here's your big picture

9.8 million
Number of people directly and indirectly employed by the U.S. oil and natural gas industry.

Increase of the number of jobs supported in just two years.

$200 billion
Paid by the industry paid in direct wages to U.S. employees.

$300 billion
Paid to workers in jobs supported by the industry.

$1.4 million
Number of jobs the industry could create by 2030 with the right government policies in place to expand access to domestic natural resources.

$85 million
Daily amount companies pay to the federal government in income taxes, royalty payments, rents and bonus fees.

$2 trillion
Invested by the industry in U.S. capital projects since 2000 to advance all forms of energy, including alternatives.

$74 billion
Government revenues generated by unconventional oil and natural gas development in 2012, rising to $138 billion in 2025.

12 percent
Percentage that U.S. energy demand will grow between now and 2040.

YA 85 Million DAILY!!!

While those are big numbers and it is a huge industry, it's still only a fraction of the pie in terms of overall employment in the US. I mean crap, there's almost 120M people employed in the US as of Dec. 2014. There's no way all 9.8M people in the O&G & supporting industry are going to be adversely effected. Heck, the industry won't even be cut in half. But if it is, that's still only 4% of all full-time employed people adversely effected as compare to the 96% that will be positively effected by the down turn.

Am I missing something?

Regardless, I feel bad for anyone who loses their job when they're doing their best to survive and provide for themselves and their family. It really is sad and I'm grateful it's not me.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
From a construction guy who builds everything from national chain retail boxes in the city to mancamps in the oilfields not only do I disagree, but I will say you are comparing apples and lawnmowers.

obviously you didn't work yourself into a corner market in construction by build only build Y items... which is exact opposite of what I have seen people venting about.. where they cater so heavily to once source that source dries up or slows down they panic almost.

seen it with truck companies that where not out constantly seeking new customers to work with.

I completely understand the "make hay while Sun is shinning" but don't forget the other fields because sun doesn't always shine through the clouds..

the companies that least learned how to make a profit when the industry got lean, then buy the ones that didn't and went under

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Why does it need to be 80-90/bbl now when it didn't have to be 10-15 years ago when prices at the pump were similar to where they're at now? Has the means of retrieval changed so much that it's just that expensive to extract the crude now? Has the middle east changed their way of extracting the crude or is still plugging along like they basically always have?

Could it be that the required price per bbl is now as high as it is due to the average wage in the industry being nearly double that of the national average wage earner? That's not a jab, it's an honest/legitimate question.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Why does it need to be 80-90/bbl now when it didn't have to be 10-15 years ago when prices at the pump were similar to where they're at now? Has the means of retrieval changed so much that it's just that expensive to extract the crude now? Has the middle east changed their way of extracting the crude or is still plugging along like they basically always have?

Could it be that the required price per bbl is now as high as it is due to the average wage in the industry being nearly double that of the national average wage earner? That's not a jab, it's an honest/legitimate question.

Cause everything else costs more now. Tooling up to support a contract is extremely expensive. Can easily runs into the 10s of millions even for a small company like ours.

And Adam, no one in this thread has worked themselves into a corner.

Setting up a plant to produce parts requires lots of thinking/engineering on the layout of machinery, who calls on us the most? Who puts bread on the table? So it's not like you can just swap back and fourth whenever the wind changes direction. Our plant doesn't soley rely on oil and gas, but when that's who's been feeding you large amounts of business for 30 years, you cant just say, "hey I'm sorry I have to cater to aerospace and defense contractors for a while so we will get back with you later". No that's not how it works. When your main customer, the one that's made you who you are, calls up and says I need these parts now, you say yes sir and get it down.

And btw, I'm not complaining at all. Ups and downs are part of business. I just started this thread to gather thoughts from people in other fields. But it seems that there is quite a lot of confusion on just how important the oil industry is.... It makes the world go round dude.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
obviously you didn't work yourself into a corner market in construction by build only build Y items... which is exact opposite of what I have seen people venting about.. where they cater so heavily to once source that source dries up or slows down they panic almost.

seen it with truck companies that where not out constantly seeking new customers to work with.

I completely understand the "make hay while Sun is shinning" but don't forget the other fields because sun doesn't always shine through the clouds..

the companies that least learned how to make a profit when the industry got lean, then buy the ones that didn't and went under

ive been "pigeon toed" in the industry for 15 very good years, we are diverse, we are doing very well through all this. This was not about how to diversify to survive the oil prices, been there done that. I know how the game is played. This will be my 3rd oil price storm ive had to weather. Its the opinion that people have about the impact of the industry that I don't get. But I guess if life is good from were you stand and its 25$ to fill up your puckup, then so be it. I think only the guys who live and work in the energy sector see it the same way I do.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
While those are big numbers and it is a huge industry, it's still only a fraction of the pie in terms of overall employment in the US. I mean crap, there's almost 120M people employed in the US as of Dec. 2014. There's no way all 9.8M people in the O&G & supporting industry are going to be adversely effected. Heck, the industry won't even be cut in half. But if it is, that's still only 4% of all full-time employed people adversely effected as compare to the 96% that will be positively effected by the down turn.

Am I missing something?

Regardless, I feel bad for anyone who loses their job when they're doing their best to survive and provide for themselves and their family. It really is sad and I'm grateful it's not me.

Like I said earlier, if you only pay attention to what's on the surface, then no, Your not missing anything.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
ive been "pigeon toed" in the industry for 15 very good years, we are diverse, we are doing very well through all this. This was not about how to diversify to survive the oil prices, been there done that. I know how the game is played. This will be my 3rd oil price storm ive had to weather. Its the opinion that people have about the impact of the industry that I don't get. But I guess if life is good from were you stand and its 25$ to fill up your puckup, then so be it. I think only the guys who live and work in the energy sector see it the same way I do.

understood..

i know the truck companies are likening the price drop in fuel...

i know my weekly operating cost has gone from ~1800-2000 weekly when diesel was $4 to 1200-1400 with prices floating 2.75-3.00 that ~500-600 adds up quickly!

same princple applies to the avg person at the pump.. goes from spending 100-150 a week in fuel to 50-75 (or less) a week that's an extra ~200 a month that can be spent else where...it adds up.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com

Fracking cost a lot more then traditional wells that's why we need 80-90 also the dollar is worth less the it was 15 years ago.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Fracking cost a lot more then traditional wells that's why we need 80-90 also the dollar is worth less the it was 15 years ago.

Then add in the cost of meeting ever increasing EPA regs for the refineries, not only the cost of new equipment but gas, diesel, and oil that needs more refining to meet the different teirs.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
I was talking to a local performance shop today and the owner said he is losing 20-30% of his customers due to the O&G market dropping out. While employees of the oil and gas market make a good chunk of money, they also spend a good amount. Everything is tied into it. Its ridiculous to say that it is a niche.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
Unless you are in the business I doubt you can see the full spectrum of what goes into it. Its all fine and dandy from the outside looking in.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I think the Saudi's will blink first, curtail production and prices will rise again.

Even the almighty "opec" can't sustain prices this low. Hint: they aren't making any money.

The question is not if but when, will oil go back up.

They make money at single digits...

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
That's not what I've been told. My source is a very very large US company.

I got that from George Bush Sr's retired CIA briefing officer. He is a customer, for your sake I hope he was wrong but the prices for the militrary are set years in advance and that's where he said he gets his info...:eek:

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
Its taking a toll on refiners also. I know corporate has put a halt to a lot of new projects that were in the works. Crack spreads are terrible right now, profits are dwindling. With that being said I think that my job here will be OK through it all