Hmmmmm

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
what valving did you go with or do you suggest chevy1925?

That is something I won't be giving out ;). Spent a lot of time and money getting the valving I wanted for these trucks.

Your post before is headed down the right track but you still have more to consider before buying a set.

Chase87

Chase
Dec 6, 2012
Edmond ok
So let me understand. No disrespect by this. But obviously I was impressed by your earlier posts and I did my research before pulling the trigger on a project like this as I am sure you did. I'm not sure other than clearance issues what max droop and full compression would change. So basically since you have already done this and Changed valving which I can because I have a nitrogen charge kit and all tools necessary, and you are now trying to turn this into something profitable, which don't get me wrong is great, but the whole reason these forums exist is for fellow diy'ers to share experiences. Which makes your write up actually a sales pitch not really a helpful write up for fellow diy'ers. Trust me there are plenty of people out there that either don't have the knowledge or drive to take on what u and I will do and will continue to purchase whatever product u decide to sell. Not sure if u have looked into the liability side of doing that but I'm sure it is pretty substantial.
So in the end I appreciate the write up u did and it has helped me and encouraged me to go on with this project but I would appreciate the valving u think would be best for this truck. U can give me ur first valving and I would be appreciative but as I saw in ur write up u didn't like it too much. Remember I have a daily driver so pulling a shock each night and revalving it to work with what I need then installing it in the dark after work is not really what I would like to do but I'm willing to if I have too.

Again I appreciate ur previous post and hope you are willing to help a fellow diy'er. (This will make your future store or parts sales much higher because people tend to buy their parts from someone who is helpful and assist them. I'm sure u have felt this loyalty to someone in the past)
I would appreciate it if you could pm me the valving or any other assistance u know I'm not thinking about right now, if you would like.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This thread was not posted to help anyone install coilovers on a truck. It's a thread I started for those that wanted to follow my progress on installing them and seeing how they work. At the time, coilovers were something very very few people ever tried.

I'm sorry you don't like I won't be giving you all the answers to your questions. It wouldn't matter if I was going into selling these or not. I did not spend all the time I did on these from years prior to just post all about it and let you as well as many many other businesses take what I know and profit off it.

The info you seek is out there. I just won't be handing it over ;)

Chase87

Chase
Dec 6, 2012
Edmond ok
I'm not a business or look to get into it. I have done tons of research even before I found your write up, but what is the point in sharing your write up if you can't help others do the same. I understand when u took this on it was not very popular, as I have been thinking about doing it for about 3 years but never pulled the trigger until I saw your post. ( I didn't want to buy parts and fit them and not be able to return them when they don't work). Apparently sled guys have been doing this for a while.

Either way thanks for the encouragement, I guess I will just take this on and spend what I have to.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James are you still looking into becoming a vendor and offering suspension products?

Yes, ive talked with Kat already and have that figured out but until i get everything finalized and ready to go, im not pulling the trigger yet. Ill do it all by the book for setting things up here. No reason to pry upon the site i love so much :D

To give a little insight on why im so protective over the valving, think of it like this. (not directed at you wrcknkrw) If you were to walk into Danville Performance and ask mark for his turbo vanes and wheel off the new 68mm R2 or even his first "test" wheels/vanes so you have something to go off of to make your own wheel for your personal truck, you think he will give that info out? How about if you were to walk into Inglewood transmission and ask mike for all the info on how to build the new LML transmissions or atleast a good starting point in where to mod parts of the trans not listed on the internet, think he'd give that info out? Or how about walking into Robs shop at ATP tuning and asking for tunes that are already half setup for your specific truck for a twin turbo, built trans LMM with a built motor?

^^ this is not to be a dick, asshole, or trying to compare tuning, turbos, or trans to shocks. What this is, is simply stating that valving is what makes or breaks a truck and ive done alot of homework on the matter to get something going geared for these trucks. One shim can make the difference between that perfect ride and too stiff or soft, on or off road. Can anyone go in and see what ive done to copy it and re sell it? damn right but until its released, i wont be saying a thing and probably still wont after release. Unfortunately, that means the DYI'er gets the crap end here cause there are so many damn sharks out there that want to ride on other peoples coat tails, it ruins the helpfulness of a good forum when you are working on new stuff. But personally, as ive stated before Chase, your on the right track. im not leading you down a bad path but ill post what i can to help you along without giving too much out.

I know what sled pullers are doing, ive watched and seen how they have put coilovers on. that does NOT mean they will be the perfect setup for a street truck or off road truck.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yes, ive talked with Kat already and have that figured out but until i get everything finalized and ready to go, im not pulling the trigger yet. Ill do it all by the book for setting things up here. No reason to pry upon the site i love so much :D

To give a little insight on why im so protective over the valving, think of it like this. (not directed at you wrcknkrw) If you were to walk into Danville Performance and ask mark for his turbo vanes and wheel off the new 68mm R2 or even his first "test" wheels/vanes so you have something to go off of to make your own wheel for your personal truck, you think he will give that info out? How about if you were to walk into Inglewood transmission and ask mike for all the info on how to build the new LML transmissions or atleast a good starting point in where to mod parts of the trans not listed on the internet, think he'd give that info out? Or how about walking into Robs shop at ATP tuning and asking for tunes that are already half setup for your specific truck for a twin turbo, built trans LMM with a built motor?

^^ this is not to be a dick, asshole, or trying to compare tuning, turbos, or trans to shocks. What this is, is simply stating that valving is what makes or breaks a truck and ive done alot of homework on the matter to get something going geared for these trucks. One shim can make the difference between that perfect ride and too stiff or soft, on or off road. Can anyone go in and see what ive done to copy it and re sell it? damn right but until its released, i wont be saying a thing and probably still wont after release. Unfortunately, that means the DYI'er gets the crap end here cause there are so many damn sharks out there that want to ride on other peoples coat tails, it ruins the helpfulness of a good forum when you are working on new stuff. But personally, as ive stated before Chase, your on the right track. im not leading you down a bad path but ill post what i can to help you along without giving too much out.

I know what sled pullers are doing, ive watched and seen how they have put coilovers on. that does NOT mean they will be the perfect setup for a street truck or off road truck.

That's a good post:thumb:

Chase87

Chase
Dec 6, 2012
Edmond ok
James,

i understand where you are coming from i guess i'm just getting frustrated with this as i am also needing to buy UCA's and some other steering parts and bill is getting pretty high to be buying stuff i'm not sure will work.

I still have not bought the UCA's and I know you have the tubular Cognitos. Is there any close tolerances issues with the UCA's where you think a boxed Cognito or Kyrpitonite would not work. I am capable of making a new lower mount or modifying the upper if needed for small adjustments.

I ask this because i'm going to buy these first mount them on the truck and check my measurements again to be sure before I buy a shock and I can't decide which ones to buy. The guys at Cognito are going to compare their boxed and tubular and tell me what the differences are but looking at the Kryptonite they look to extend a little further into the v section of the arm which might hit at full droop.

thanks,

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I do not have Cognito uca. I have the fabtech arms that come with my lift. Unless you buy Cognito arms without the shock tabs on it, those will need modifying to work.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
That's why I said building a set of uca & lca is the best way to go for clearance issue and better suspension travel. There are plenty of off road shops than can build a set.

James, does any of the uca cones with high angle ball joints like CST sell? I've been trying to find more info about the high angle ball joints to run on the upper & lower in case if I do find someone to build me a set of uca & lca? Unless you're planning to build a set?

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007

Definitely a good post. Correct valve setup for our trucks is night and day when the valving is wrong. Keep up the good work James!