Herculined the sides (body line down), bumper etc.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Lot of work.. sanded both sides of the truck down with 80 grit by hand.... talk about standing back at one point and going "oh shit, I just ruined my truck" :rofl:

Rolled on two coats of Heculiner. Then 2 light clear coats in hopes of keeping it from fading :thumb:

I also did the front bumper (Didn't do the rear until I decide if I can get a roll pan to work with a hitch without looking like ass :eek:)

Not a great picture yet... but something.. so far I really like it (as long as it holds up... I live on a dirt road, and even though I drive slow I had some chips down low)

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• TRUCK_COATING1b.jpg
    TRUCK_COATING1b.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 177

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
It wasn't messed up very much.. just a few chips here and there down low.. but that pisses me off because I drive no faster than 20-25 on the dirt and it was getting worse slowly. Figured this would prevent it from getting worse (hopefully)

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Looks good especially when it's black. Mine is white so it'll give a funny look I guess. Now your truck looks more durable :thumb:

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
The Herc kit was $100. Spent $25 on a quart of clear. Had some masking tape and sandpaper laying around etc.

So far I am very happy with how it looks....

I think this could look really good on a white truck too! as long as the line is really straight because it will stand out a lot more obviously. Some black wheels, black grill etc. might be in order to pull it off on a white truck as well...

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
The Herc kit was $100. Spent $25 on a quart of clear. Had some masking tape and sandpaper laying around etc.

So far I am very happy with how it looks....

I think this could look really good on a white truck too! as long as the line is really straight because it will stand out a lot more obviously. Some black wheels, black grill etc. might be in order to pull it off on a white truck as well...

I thought about doing that, in fact, I made a thread about it on the DF. My plans are to get some black wheel, build my own grille and paint it black and build my own bumper either the prerunner style or like the ironbull setup. It's pretty much going to be a white n black theme. I got quite a few chips on it too....

The tricky part is that I like my truck to look clean but not sure how it will stand out with the mods I plan to do.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Man I hate to be a cynic but herculiner is pure shit. I've used it before and it gets really chalky and dull quickly and you won't be able to wash your truck with a pressure washer anymore or it'll peel off. It doesn't have any hardeners in it and holds up accordingly.

Last edited:

CrazyDaze

800+HP Build!!
Apr 6, 2009
Auburn Hills, MI
That looks awesome! I've been wanting to do that myself. I'm not a fan of rock gaurds and running around with Baja MTZ's my rockers have gotten torn up.

I'll post some pics of mine once I do it too. Give you guys an idea of how the white looks.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
For some reason I thought it was rhino that wasn't too good. I'm going to be pissed after all that work if it comes off. :mad: :(

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
IntereSted in how it holds up. I saw colored herculiner or another brand somewhere and was going to do the bottom of the van in white

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Herculiner will turn a very odd chalky color and come of in big chunks, once it starts peeling it will peel like an orange.

Hopefully clearing it will help prevent that. Jordan is right on the no hardner so it never actually get set and hard. You should be able to dig your finger nail right into it.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
I've had my rockers herculined for 2 years now. Everyone is right about it getting chalky. Also be easy on it with the pressure washer, use the light pressure and stand back away from it when you wash it. Try to be very careful when waxing your truck because it will look terrible if you get wax on it. Best advice is to tape off the herculiner when you wax it. The only thing that kinda worked for getting wax off was peanut butter. Expect to recoat about once a year.