HELP: oil cooler elbow removal

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
So I am balls deep in a water pump/thermostat job and i am also doing the 90* elbow on the oil cooler because it had been leaking for a year. I ended up figuring out what was actually leaking with help from Brian.

Now I'm trying to remove it and I was told it would come out without removing the oil cooler housing. I pulled the 2 bolts and the two nuts/studs....it now moves free but there is almost no way I can get it out without removing the up-pipe or oil cooler

Anyone messed with one of these I need help as I am completely torn apart and need my truck tomorrow for work.
picture.php

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
did mine twice. make your life easier and pull the oil cooler. just watch the o-rings behind the cooler. you can do it with out pulling the cooler but you run a high risk of folding the new thick rubber o-ring over out of its groove when you slide it back in. thats what happened to me the first time, second time the metal gasket was leaking due to the crappy coating they put on the gasket. your gunna need to pull the studs on the elbow as well if you dont pull the oil cooler and possibly still need to pull one stud even if you do pull the cooler, i cant quite remember. IIRC a 6mm works to pull the stud if you dont have an inverted torx that fits

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I pulled the studs and that's when it broke free, but then I realized it still wouldn't come out.

So what am I looking at when I pull the cooler? Just the bolts on the block right? I already split the cooler to replace a gasket and it turns out that wasn't the one leaking it was the elbow.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
yup! just those 5 or 6 bolts. i yanked the oil filter, undid the bolts, made a oil mess and moved the cooler off to the side some to get the elbow out.

it just straight up suck ass to do. i black RTV'ed both sides of the steel gasket after i sanded the coating off, stuck it all back together, let it all dry for 12 hours, then filled it up with coolant and its been good since.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
This is my 2nd time diving into this too so I know it sucks ass. Thanks for the help I'll report back when I finish.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
OK got another question.... I got all the cooler bolts out and wiggled the cooler loose enough to pull the elbow out. So what seals are there besides the coolant crossover pipe o-ring. There is one for an oil passage down low I know so if all I did was wiggle it loose I can put it back together (making sure orings are not disturbed) that way and not have to replace any if the o-rings correct?

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
There are two o rings where it seals to the block. If you take the crossover pipe out you will also need that big o ring. It used to be $40. You may need the gasket where it goes to the water pump as well otherwise all you will need is the two seals you already have for the 90* piece.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Oh OK I see the 2 orings there looks like just oil passes through them. I'm doing a water pump also so I got the front gasket covered and I didn't take the cooler completely off so I'm not replacing the big rear oring so crossing my fingers it will be ok

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Well I guess I get to rip this piece of shit apart one more time. :mad: I think the rubber gasket on the elbow isn't seated well or something its still leaking

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Well I didn't have to rip it all apart again but I have the smallest drip ever coming from the cooler elbow area and I don't know how its possible other then maybe the torque on the bolts because its a rubber seal :confused:

Its leaving a drop every now and then which still frustrates me but I'm out of ideas.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Could be leaking from the headgasket or turbo as well. Those are the only two things above it that would run down. headgaskets are possible if you havent had them done yet.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
only 140k on the clock and its only dripping right at that elbow on the inside by the block and nowhere else. ill check turbo cooler lines just to make sure i forgot about those.

im still pretty sure its the elbow it gets worse or better based on loosening/tightening bolts on it but i can never get it to go away 100%
at this poits its barely dripping a couple drops overnight :(

just did thermostats also at the same time, couldn't get over 120* on the coolant temp on the CTS now it goes to 190 finally

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Anyone know if they have a updated rubber gasket out for this? I've dealt with this before in the past, and now have it pulled off again. Big leak this time. I have victor Reitz gaskets in it now. If gm has one in stock local and there a better design I'll get that. Otherwise ima gasket make the hell outta the rubber and metal gaskets (they shouldn't be leaking though, there brand new)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Anyone know if they have a updated rubber gasket out for this? I've dealt with this before in the past, and now have it pulled off again. Big leak this time. I have victor Reitz gaskets in it now. If gm has one in stock local and there a better design I'll get that. Otherwise ima gasket make the hell outta the rubber and metal gaskets (they shouldn't be leaking though, there brand new)

I have a brand new oil cooler I bought from gm with all their gaskets and mine is dripping from the metal gasket where the elbow bolts to the cooler. Super slow small leak but drives me crazy so I guess I will be removing and lay the rtv to it. I normally don't believe in putting rtv on a brand new factory gaskets on anything but this thing isn't going to be happy until I do. That cooler is a straight up bastard to do as well. I took my trans out last night to build and was thinking once the trans is out and it's on the lift it would be easier to do, wrong!!!! Still a biatch!!!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

I wouldn't put anything on the rubber. It can deteriorate it faster than normal not have I ever had good luck doing them that way. I have felpro gaskets on mine. The rubber has not leaked in 32k. The steel one did from the black rubber stuff coming off it. Sanded it all off and coated gray rtv on both sides of it. Been solid ever since.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Well I just rtv"d the hell out of it. It's a junk design!! The elbow is rubbing the studs when it gets pulled down the whole way. That's why it leaks I think. It's only got to last a year till I pull the engine again. I think I might put a 16 gauge spacer or something between the cooler and the elbow next time when I can have a closer look

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hmm that's strange. Wonder if the midplate is a bit off or something. Mine fits tight but no rubbing on he studs

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I don't see how the rear adapter, or the oil housing could be off, atall. It's a 2 dowel like 10 bolt adapter. And located oring shaft and 5 bolts on the cooler. Maybe the junky elbow wasn't made right, idk. and btw those studs have been replaced to the same stud part number that all the studs are on the valve covers. There about 1/8 shorter so it makes its even more a pain in the ass to get the nut started.