Headgaskets what else?

dbeabout

Jan 27, 2014
I am replacing Head gaskets "C", ARP studs. While i'm in there I will also be doing some upgrades/preventative maintenance:
1. Water Pump
2. Both thermostats
3. glow plugs
4. Fuel Pressure Regulator
5. LML drivers side exhaust manifold
6. EGR Delete
7. modified passenger side up pipe
8. CTS pyro
9. PCV reroute
10. Clean everything

The truck is an LLY with 120K. Injector balance rate are all good. I have profab down pipe with 5in exhaust. LBZ MP with profabs air intake plumbing and EFI live with CTS.

My question is, is there anything else I should consider doing while i'm this deep in the motor?
Thanks

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I would replace all the rubber fuel and coolant lines while your in there. Even though its low miled it has time working against it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I wouldn't replace glow plugs, its not a maintenance item. I just had my first one go out at 140k, not to mention they are about $20 each from the dealer so your lookin at a small fortune for something that isn't broken. Just my .02

dbeabout

Jan 27, 2014
i appreciate the responses. Please keep them coming. This is my first diesel so i need all the advice I can get.

dbeabout

Jan 27, 2014
On the water pump i'm getting the water pump from MA with the welded shaft.
Anything else?

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
I personally budget for glow plugs when heads have to come off of one of these trucks. Its pretty common for them to break off in this neck of the woods where the salt gets to everything.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
He could break them all loose while heads are off, clean them up and anti seize the crap out of them then just put them back in. Probably what I'd do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
He could break them all loose while heads are off, clean them up and anti seize the crap out of them then just put them back in. Probably what I'd do.

Breaking them loose with the heads off isn't going to change anything. If they are at the point where they are going to break, there may not be anything you can do. Just a fact of life up here where the road salt season can run from october into april.

Forgot bout all you that live in the rust belt. Mine came out like butter :woott:

The 06 im working out now has around 200k on it and the kid bought it somewhere out west now that long ago, the glow plugs all came right out and the manifold bolts where not the least be sketchy. My buddy and I were drooling over how clean the brake lines were.
Kind of sad when you think about it. :(

Im all off the the salt/rust tangent and for all we know the OP is from Arizona :rofl:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Breaking them loose with the heads off isn't going to change anything. If they are at the point where they are going to break, there may not be anything you can do. Just a fact of life up here where the road salt season can run from october into april.

What I mean is if they come out fine why not anti seize and reuse them? Obviously if one or all break they'll need replaced and will be much easier to deal with once the head is on a bench.

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
What I mean is if they come out fine why not anti seize and reuse them? Obviously if one or all break they'll need replaced and will be much easier to deal with once the head is on a bench.

I did say budget for them, I should have gone a step further and specified that I wasn't neccesarily saying just replace them.

IMO, they are easier to break loose in the truck while the head is still bolted down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
On the water pump i'm getting the water pump from MA with the welded shaft.
Anything else?

Id go with the Danville pinned pump. You ever see what happend to Brett's welded water pump? It wasn't a good outcome for him.

Last edited:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Id go with the Danville pinned pump. You ever see what happend to Brett's welded water pump? It wasn't a good outcome for him.

Pinned pumps have had there issues as well, For me welding has sufficed just fine but others have had issues. Maybe it comes down to the quality of the welds maybe its sh!t luck but theres plenty of trucks making big H.P. and boost with stock/welded pumps ;):)