Head gaskets

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
I'm the Dmax guy at Engle Automotive in Loveland if ever you have any questions :)

Spoke with Mark yesterday, he's gonna get some #'s together
-----------
Antifreeze looks fine, had the radiator out over the weekend, stumbled across a deal on a brand new AFE intercooler, $700
Oil is fine, in fact it was just changed about 2K miles ago when I had the injectors done and the shop made no mention of oil looking bad.

i'll try to share a picture of the leak tonight

Appreciate the input!!

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Confirmed bubbles in the antifreeze.
Now, what else do I add to the project?
-------
MBRP down pipe and full 4" exhaust-done
S&B CAI-done
AFE Blade Runner Intercooler with tube kit-done
-------
Going to hire this out, way over my head
Don't want to get carried away but as long as they are this far in I would like to do a few upgrades and save on labor

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Spoke with Mark yesterday, he's gonna get some #'s together
-----------
Antifreeze looks fine, had the radiator out over the weekend, stumbled across a deal on a brand new AFE intercooler, $700
Oil is fine, in fact it was just changed about 2K miles ago when I had the injectors done and the shop made no mention of oil looking bad.

i'll try to share a picture of the leak tonight

Appreciate the input!!

I was curious if that was for you as he ran it by me yesterday making sure he didn't miss anything. Hopefully the numbers aren't too bad! I can guarantee my work!

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Hopefully it's hg and not a cracked head.

At the minimum do head studs, depending what your plans are.

I personally am not running studs until I build the bottom end. I'd rather blow a hg than bend a rod. Best case scenario of course. I know there's no guarantee

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'd do head studs. LBZs tend to crack pistons before bending rods, and they can do that on stock head bolts. I'd rather have the peace of mind of head studs. Just keep the tuning sane.

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
ARP studs are on the list as well as a new water pump. I'm relying on the experts to choose the right gaskets.

Ultimately I would like to end up around 500HP, unfortunately my transmission money has to go to the HG first.
Then transmission build, then EFI Live, then make my son get a job and start paying back

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Have them weld the water pump. Might as well, even stock ones have spun.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It's all of them. If you were going for more hp I'd recommend pinning it instead.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You can buy one prewelded too if you rather

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Any reason for an aftermarket water pump? the shops want to use OEM

I'm racking my uneducated diesel brain to try and look at all labor saving options on improvements while they can get at it.

Aftermarket exhaust manifolds keeps coming up but not sure my mild modifications would make full use of them.

I think my son would appreciate a set of rims over the manifolds. the plan is not to build a HP monster just something fun and then off to college

Thanks for all of the feedback, nice forum, nice folks, I will try and participate in further discussions on other topics.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
While it's torn down should shim or plug the fuel pressure relief valve.

And water pump is up to you for sure. I'm still on my original water pump with 220k haha.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
And make sure the valves are adjusted where ever you go. Just take it to ^^^^^this guy. He won't do you wrong.

ty_LBZ

Camaro killa
Dec 6, 2014
Farmington, NM
There's a million things you can do, all depends on your budget. Get the injectors tested, drill out the fuel rail fittings, install y-bridge strap, delete the EGR, etc...

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
I have a 10K budget. although I have not disclosed that to the couple of shops putting together their plan, but the heads are getting a good of that.

Did the injectors a couple of months back, fuel rail on the list

I have a couple of shops in mind.

I am not knowledgeable to improvements better accomplished with the cab and front clip off, so that is the real question for now.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Y-bridge & 3" cold side pipe would be easy to do while doing the head gaskets, also up pipes (or at least the passenger side). Could also do larger CP3 inlet fitting, ported fuel rail fittings and race plug, new thermostats.

Corey

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
I'd say get the kiddo a good bike, and pay two years of tuition with 10k. My $0.02

With all due respect, Sir. This is our hobby, tuition is covered.

Oh, he already has a good bike and with his very high academics and level of ambition he is already in line for scholarships

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Thought I owed you guys a follow up
Thanks for all of the informative recommendations and feedback.
Diesel Day Dreams is the shop, very reputable in Colorado.
Remove heads, hot tank clean, mil & resurface and install with grade C gaskets. Clean and de-carbon block deck.
ARP heads stud set.
PCV re-route.
Race Fuel rail plug.
PPE ported fuel rail fitting.
OE water pump, truck has 150K on it.
PPE high flow exhaust manifolds.
EFI Live single tune.
ERG block plate.
TransGo Jr. shift kit.
Oil change and filter
FASS filter change.
Radiator flush and change.
I'll post some pics as the shop moves thru it.
thanks again for the feedback