Head gaskets

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Looking for some help, I got a 2006 LBZ for my son to drive to school, has ~150,000 miles and needs head gaskets.
Can you guys recommend a couple of shops where I can get a few bids?
How much will this set me back?
Anything else is should do while they have it apart?

Diesels Day Dreams did the injectors a few months back and they are GREAT guys I just need to know the price is right

Thanks in advance

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
not to many "diesel performance" shops in Denver, Diesel Day Dreams does all my work and tuning. There's Engle Automotive up in Loveland, one of the members here works there.

66lilly

Jun 7, 2014
Colorado
Ya DDD have always treated me right. Can't think of any other shops I would want doing work on my truck

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
I think it is about 30 hrs labor according to GM. Parts are around $600 without studs.

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
My question is why did it blow hg at 150k miles.

It isn't difficult to do if you feel up to it. Should be around 4k

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My question is why did it blow hg at 150k miles.

It isn't difficult to do if you feel up to it. Should be around 4k

More than likely an early 06 with old style head gaskets. There are alot of them out there.

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Don't know why, I bought it from the original owner, seemed pretty honest, local Leo, said he was in a divorce and it had to go.
I asked if he had ever had any performance stuff on it and the answer was no.
The price was right, $19K CCSB fully loaded, leveling kit, 33" Duratracs, engine bay was completely stock. I figured at that price he new the injectors were bad and they were which brought the price in at what he would get at a stealership.
The gasket only leaks on startup when it's below 10 degrees, other wise its fine

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Don't know why, I bought it from the original owner, seemed pretty honest, local Leo, said he was in a divorce and it had to go.
I asked if he had ever had any performance stuff on it and the answer was no.
The price was right, $19K CCSB fully loaded, leveling kit, 33" Duratracs, engine bay was completely stock. I figured at that price he new the injectors were bad and they were which brought the price in at what he would get at a stealership.
The gasket only leaks on startup when it's below 10 degrees, other wise its fine
That doesn't sound like head gaskets to me. Id be getting a shop to make 100% certain thats what was wrong.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
good to know dustin. i have a buddies brother who has a problematic LLY up there in denver. ill be sure to send him your way when things act up

Referrals are always appreciated! I believe our shop rate is a little higher than typical independent shops however we have a 3 year/36,000mile warranty on all of our work regardless.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
How is your oil, any blow by?
How is the coolant, how does the tank look?