Got my trans built but shifts extremely hard

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
And this is my first time ever building an automatic transmission and yes I am aware that there are professionals that do this but I wanted to do it myself to learn how to build them i just need some advice or opinions on where it could be like I said I was on the phone with suncoast pretty much every time I measure clearances for all the clutch packs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
So is there nothing through efi that will tell me anything? And would it help any if I got a trans tune wrote?

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
I'm over in Concord with a tech 2 if you need a more in depth scan tool.

Note: I'm not a professional, just a weekend warrior with a tech 2 ;)

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Yea I limped it the second time to see what they were but it just showed p0700 that the Tcm requested mil but it would show anything else but I will try to limp it again.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
You shouldn't have to tune the tcm to try and bandaid a problem in the trans. If I were In Your shoes and you think everything is correct you can either A. check your pressure by buying a fitting, gauge etc.... Or B. drop the pan and cut open the internal filter and see what yah find. I think a lot of these guys are a little burnt out on trying to diagnose things over the net when they have no idea what was done inside. I understand you're looking for answers and there is a lot of info out there and I am like you, I enjoy doing things myself. I have a feeling you may be tearing back into her. Not sure if I read it or not but did you replace your internal harness during the build? Also if it were me, suncoast would know me by name if I were having issues, so I would definitely pick their brain as much as possible.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
No way to read pressures on the Allison electronically. There are only a handful of scanners that can read the TCM codes. GM's Tech2 scanner, an EFILive FlashScan V2, and some really high end benchtop scanners.

Your best bet for now is to stick to the stock transmission tune. Shift quality isn't adjusted through the transmission tune (or shouldn't be...), so throwing a new tune on the TCM just adds more variables to the diagnosis, which is the last thing you need. Keep a stock tune on it for now.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I have a verus pro system at work so it should show me anything that's why I'm curious why it didn't.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I appreciate that man! Like I said this is my first automatic I just wanted to build it to be able to say I built it myself lol plus I'd like to start building them once I get out of college and get my own shop started

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
What have you been using to pull codes? An EFILive v2 WILL pull TCM codes, and a P0700 won't be set without something else in the TCM. P0700 will NEVER appear all alone.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I used my edge monitor the first time but the second I used our verus pro snap on scanner at work and it should be able too read anything it can do the same fast relearn program like the tech 2

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Allisons are easy till they don't work.
You didn't build your trans, you threw a clutch kit into it and expected amazing things.
It takes more than a box of clutches.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I was really expecting amazing things I was just hoping for it not to slip like it did stock haha but it doesn't really except when it throws that code I figured if I followed directions step for step everything would work properly I guess that's not the case but I'm honestly surprised I dropped the truck on the ground and drove it out without having atleast one set back but I feel like whatever my issue is right now is fixable if I can just figure it out I'll try to get it to limp again and see what the code says

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I was really expecting amazing things I was just hoping for it not to slip like it did stock haha but it doesn't really except when it throws that code I figured if I followed directions step for step everything would work properly I guess that's not the case but I'm honestly surprised I dropped the truck on the ground and drove it out without having atleast one set back but I feel like whatever my issue is right now is fixable if I can just figure it out I'll try to get it to limp again and see what the code says

What he's getting at is there's a difference between being a trans builder and a built trans and a trans with a clutch kit threw in it and a guy slapping clutch kits in and having a "built" trans.

You're probly gonna need a v2 or tech2 to get your codes. I wouldn't keep limping it until you find one.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I can't speak to the verus pro scanner, but the edge I'm 99% sure will not pull TCM codes. I hate to have you limp you trans again, but you have an offer from someone with a tech2... I'd take him up on it if I were you. You really need to figure out what's happening to figure out how to fix it. And if all you're getting is a P0700, you are NOT getting everything.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I have a v2 at the shop and yea I get what he's saying I know it's not gonna be no professional built Trans but as long as it'll run decent I'll be happy with it being my first trans lol

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Here is the dilemma. You don't know what you did or didn't do installing this clutch kit. Neither do we since we weren't there to watch. There are no codes written for parts not installed correctly.
With all this said; how will you fix this when you don't know what you did or didn't do?
Your pictures show a hap hazard valve alignment on a piece of cardboard. When you remove parts from any mechanical unit you place them in the order they came out.
We do this and we know what we're doing and don't take chances.
You are sloppy. This doesn't cut in in this kind of work. Good luck.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Yea the edge won't show it but the v2 should if it doesn't I may take him up on that offer with the tech 2