Going to race a 98 vette.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I have a reg. cab LMM 4x4 6500 pounds 265 BFG Land Terrains with tierod sleeves and pretty good programming stock tranny and TCM other than torque limiting turned off:rolleyes: because I can't turn the defuel off. The vette has an intake and exhaust. Do I stand a chance? The guy can drive well. 1/4 mile on a private road.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
is it a manual? thats the important thing with a good driver they can be quick but being a 97-98 ls1 the had really really restrictive heads (you can tell by the valve cover bolts they are perimeter style not the usually 4 in the middle, also has the bad intake manifold, if its an auto i think you will win hands down

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
it's a stick.

ya torque limiting off on a 6 speed, but it still has a ton of defuel. they have an unfound table someplace on the lmm 6 speed and I am limited to 27 degrees timing.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
27?! whats stock? although i am new to dmax performance but i have quite a bit less on my lly, idk if the lmm's can take alot more or something? but i would put my money on you if i was a gambler, firstgen ls1 vettes just arnt that fast and if he is not tuned then that intake and exhaust isnt doing much...

Last edited:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I run 27 degrees for max timming and mine runs pretty good and it's stock motor, injectors, and turbo. High timming dosen't always mean it's better.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
I think it will be close. Vette's got more going for them than just the motor. They are set up to perform all around. A good 4x4 launch would probably take it and you could pull him up to 70-80 or so though i think.

I've ran 33 degrees of timing before, on a 3300us pulse width. It ran decent. 13.5 1/4 mile on a lifted truck, 35" tires and 8100lbs.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I run 27 degrees for max timming and mine runs pretty good and it's stock motor, injectors, and turbo. High timming dosen't always mean it's better.

Tell that to my truck... it seems to love lots of timing. 36* today and it seemed happy enough to run 114.6

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
27?! whats stock? although i am new to dmax performance but i have quite a bit less on my lly, idk if the lmm's can take alot more or something? but i would put my money on you if i was a gambler, firstgen ls1 vettes just arnt that fast and if he is not tuned then that intake and exhaust isnt doing much...

stock is like 12-15 degrees, depending on the generation (lb7, lly, lbz, lmm)

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I would like atleast 30. :confused:

What we're racing for: I will supply a tune for his vette for free if I loose. If I win he is going to supply the labor to help me build a trans. (He works at a GM dealership as a head mechanic and he is very good. Plus he has all of the tools.) :D

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
On OEM tires, sea level, experienced drivers, poorly prepped dragstrip (street conditions) expect an LS1 Corvette to run about 13.3@108 Launch is everything, and 4x4 has a huge advantage on the street. A good running BPU Dmax has the edge as long as you cut the race off at 1/4mi. The C5 has a top speed of more than 170mph, so the longer the race goes, the lower your chances are.

However, I've seen inexperienced C5 guys stuck in the high 13's which is not uncommon. Fear the Z06 version though. Even with a crap launch, they are going to run mid to low 12's in poor traction. A hotshoe will put them into the high 11's stock. You can identify them by year (2001-4) and the strange body style. LS1 C5's have 310rwhp as delivered, Z06's have about 360rwhp, but are also lighter and have better gearing.

Concerning timing? Very few people actually tune their trucks on the dyno or at the dragstrip. If you want to know the real story behind timing, that is how you are going to find out. Since there are mfr variations in cam and reluctor wheel indexing, and different altitudes, your best results are going to after adjusting YOUR truck. Adjust it up and down at the track and see what happens to the EGT's, MPH, and ET.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
Thanks a lot McRat. No Z06, this is a "private" street race. Cough. I should get him then if I can shed some more weight. Are 245's better than 265's?

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
is it a manual? thats the important thing with a good driver they can be quick but being a 97-98 ls1 the had really really restrictive heads (you can tell by the valve cover bolts they are perimeter style not the usually 4 in the middle, also has the bad intake manifold, if its an auto i think you will win hands down

if it's a 98, it should have center valve cover bolts. everything vettes did, the f-body did 1 year later. vettes started the LS1 in 97, F-body started it in 98. the 98 F-body's had perimeter valve cover bolts as well as the 97 vettes. 98 vettes and 99 F-bodies had center valve cover bolts. the 2 engines were slightly different between F-bodies and vettes though.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
just hope he cant drive.....and make sure you get a good launch cause once you hit 3rd gear or so he'll be gaining...maybe throw some loose dirt on the starting line :rolleyes:

figure that vette at 3500lbs and 330hp to be conservative to your 450-70ish hp on your truck at 6500+lbs....hope its stick and that he blows the tires off it....

in those conditions the auto will probably run faster and get a better launch

Last edited:

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
if it's a 98, it should have center valve cover bolts. everything vettes did, the f-body did 1 year later. vettes started the LS1 in 97, F-body started it in 98. the 98 F-body's had perimeter valve cover bolts as well as the 97 vettes. 98 vettes and 99 F-bodies had center valve cover bolts. the 2 engines were slightly different between F-bodies and vettes though.

Not trying to start anything but i know what im talking about, the 97/98 ls1 had perimeter bolts, i just double checked with my friend that owns a vette shop.

Also if it were a auto it would be slower, might launch better but that would be about it.