Allison 5sp: Getting PO701 code and doesn't go into any gear?

beenDmax

Nov 8, 2011
I'm getting the PO701 code on my 2003 LB7 4x4. I've replaced both filters, fluid, NSBU, cleaned each solenoid, tested the TCM, tried the induced limp
Mode method, and still nothing. The DIN indicates that the truck goes into gear when you move the selector, however the engine doesn't go under a load or anything and it doesn't engage at all, then after a few seconds the DIN says range shift inhibited and there is the PO701 code. Any help would be greatly appreciated it's been down for a week like this.

TLKDRTYLLY

1833 AAV Crew Chief
Jun 9, 2013
Hampden, Maine
Check your Main line tap to see if your getting pressure, it's the bolt right next to the spin on filter... Use a pressure gauge. I'm pretty sure it's something like 190psi at idle.

beenDmax

Nov 8, 2011
Yeah I was going to do that but I don't have a gauge that'll read that high. I'll have to pick one up. What kind of fitting will I need for that? Like 1/8 NPT or something else?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
It take a special adapter to hook a gauge up. Just stick a pan under the pressure port after pulling the plug and start it. Fluid better gush out.
Are you sure you installed correct sump filter? How about the old filter seal?

beenDmax

Nov 8, 2011
Ok, I will try that when I get some more tone time to mess with it. And it's it's the correct filter and I removed the old seal and installed the new one that came with the filter.

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
Here is more info--I stole it-!
Circuit/System Description

The pressure switch manifold (PSM) is a multiple switch assembly made up of 3 normally open (N/O) pressure switches and 1 normally closed (N/C) pressure switch. Pressure switch 1 (PS1) monitors shift valve 1 positioning, pressure switch 2 (PS2) monitors shift valve 2 positioning, pressure switch 3 (PS3) monitors shift valve 3 positioning, and pressure switch 4 (PS4) monitors the position of the manual selector valve. The pressure switches communicate the positioning to the transmission control module (TCM). The position of the shift valves 1, 2, and 3 is controlled by 3 normally closed shift solenoids. When energized, SS1 directs fluid pressure to shift valve 1, SS2 directs fluid pressure to shift valve 2, and SS3 directs fluid pressure to shift valve 3, which strokes the shift valves. When the shift valve is stroked, an exhaust passage is blocked and fluid pressure to the normally open PS1, PS2, or PS3 increases. When the selector valve is in neutral or any forward position, an exhaust passage is blocked and fluid pressure to the normally closed PS4 increases.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Condition 1

•The test is enabled after engine start-up and runs as part of the transmission hydraulic initialization.
•The transmission fluid temperature is greater than -25°C (-13°F).

Condition 2

•The engine speed is less than 1000 RPM.
•The transmission turbine speed is less than 1000 RPM.
•The output speed is less than 200 RPM.
•Commanded gear is neutral, reverse or first.
•The transmission fluid temperature is greater than -25°C (-13°F).

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Condition 1:

•At start-up, all pressure switches do not indicate pressure.
•Engine speed is greater than 500 RPM for 6 seconds or 400 RPM for 15 seconds.
•The selected range is not neutral or park for 4 seconds.

Condition 2:

•Any 2 of the PS1, PS2 or PS3 switches indicate that the corresponding shift valve was stroked and a loss pressure is indicated.
•Transmission turbine speed is greater than 400 RPM.
•Transmission output speed is less than 80 RPM.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

•DTC P0701 is a Type C DTC.
•Range is inhibited, and the driver is required to use the gear selector to re-select the range.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P0701 is a Type C DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

•A plugged control main filter may cause the DTC to set.
•A cracked internal suction filter tube or damaged tube seal may cause the DTC to set.
•A stuck lube regulator valve may cause the DTC to set.
•Must attempt to select range in order to experience a condition.
•May have to wait several hours prior to restarting vehicle to experience the condition.
•This DTC is most likely the result of no pressure and not wiring or the pressure switch module.

beenDmax

Nov 8, 2011
So looks to me like the information there is pointing towards the pressure switch. I guess I should check the pressure by the filter first and if I have pressure there than replace the switch?

beenDmax

Nov 8, 2011
I haven't had a chance to check. It's at the shop I work at. I won't be able to check till tomorrow.