Gale Banks reacts to Hoonigan 1000hp build

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
This one is way more inappropriate but equally funny.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 04070DF7-7B6D-4385-AC4D-78A63824EE54.jpg
    04070DF7-7B6D-4385-AC4D-78A63824EE54.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 341

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
It's amazing reading the comments how many commenters don't know shit about diesels but they sure enjoy Blowing Gale Banks.

I bet Gale provides the knee pads for a reasonable price point too...

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
So I watched both videos last night after seeing this post. Their build is pretty cool. And seems to have some decent parts in it. As mentioned before there are a few things that I didn’t understand such as the smoke comment or why there was exhaust in the dyno room to begin with. However, gale made it out like his media exploded about this. Which I doubt. Because I rarely see anything about banks and am on YouTube and Facebook quite a bit. Looks to me like he’s trying to float his own boat as usual. I’m definitely interested to see what Guy posts about this.

Also why in the hell is he so hung up on double intercooling this motor? I’ve never seen a truck with this setup even at 1k hp.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
So I watched both videos last night after seeing this post. Their build is pretty cool. And seems to have some decent parts in it. As mentioned before there are a few things that I didn’t understand such as the smoke comment or why there was exhaust in the dyno room to begin with. However, gale made it out like his media exploded about this. Which I doubt. Because I rarely see anything about banks and am on YouTube and Facebook quite a bit. Looks to me like he’s trying to float his own boat as usual. I’m definitely interested to see what Guy posts about this.

Also why in the hell is he so hung up on double intercooling this motor? I’ve never seen a truck with this setup even at 1k hp.

I do not have experience with the double intercooling so I can not talk about it from a educated standpoint. I TOTALLY get the concept and why it would be better... but the weight of intercoolers are the issue, however, there has to be some form of cooling. On a setup like this or the majority of concepts that the weight and space really matter - thats there injectables will shine.

Cool air temps are 10000% important, but there are quite a few ways to lower them. On our car - we use nitrous and staged appropriately for cooling. Weight savings, no water on track, higher oxygen, immidate charge vs. energizing the box.. etc.

Again - many ways to skin a cat. Everything Gale is saying is important and quite accurate for what we seen in the video, however, as Guy stated - Much more to the story and for things to come of that build I believe. Had Guy been involved earlier in that build or over the project.. I think you would of seen things much differently than how they were played out in the clip. My thoughts..

On 1000hp I have a little saying... Sometimes you can stretch 900hp to a inefficient 1000hp. Sometimes you can take a inefficient 1000hp and it becomes 1200hp with efficiency, and sometimes - 1000hp is the perfect number.

The 9xxHP this setup made with proper cooling, charge speeds, etc. will likely with no fueling changes make 1300+hp. I look forward to seeing how it comes out... I know it can be nasty and the car is BEAUTIFUL.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
I do not have experience with the double intercooling so I can not talk about it from a educated standpoint. I TOTALLY get the concept and why it would be better... but the weight of intercoolers are the issue, however, there has to be some form of cooling. On a setup like this or the majority of concepts that the weight and space really matter - thats there injectables will shine.

Cool air temps are 10000% important, but there are quite a few ways to lower them. On our car - we use nitrous and staged appropriately for cooling. Weight savings, no water on track, higher oxygen, immidate charge vs. energizing the box.. etc.

Again - many ways to skin a cat. Everything Gale is saying is important and quite accurate for what we seen in the video, however, as Guy stated - Much more to the story and for things to come of that build I believe. Had Guy been involved earlier in that build or over the project.. I think you would of seen things much differently than how they were played out in the clip. My thoughts..

On 1000hp I have a little saying... Sometimes you can stretch 900hp to a inefficient 1000hp. Sometimes you can take a inefficient 1000hp and it becomes 1200hp with efficiency, and sometimes - 1000hp is the perfect number.

The 9xxHP this setup made with proper cooling, charge speeds, etc. will likely with no fueling changes make 1300+hp. I look forward to seeing how it comes out... I know it can be nasty and the car is BEAUTIFUL.

Kory, I totally respect your opinion and I know you work with Gale Banks. However when a older gentlemen is as arrogant as he is I just don't understand how you could back him up. He did have a couple good points, but it reminds me of when parents make excuses for why their 8 year old is misbehaving instead of just giving the child a spanking on the butt for what he/she did wrong.

I notice a lot of diesel companies going back and forth arguing and such but the level of disrespect that Gale showed towards Socal Diesel is not acceptable. Isn't the younger generation suppose to learn from the older generation? Or has that just died off... Gale is no where near being a good "role model" for the diesel community. :thumb:

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Kory, I totally respect your opinion and I know you work with Gale Banks. However when a older gentlemen is as arrogant as he is I just don't understand how you could back him up. He did have a couple good points, but it reminds me of when parents make excuses for why their 8 year old is misbehaving instead of just giving the child a spanking on the butt for what he/she did wrong.

I notice a lot of diesel companies going back and forth arguing and such but the level of disrespect that Gale showed towards Socal Diesel is not acceptable. Isn't the younger generation suppose to learn from the older generation? Or has that just died off... Gale is no where near being a good "role model" for the diesel community. :thumb:

Unless I missed something I don't seen any comment condoning what Banks did. So to jump on Kory for "backing him up" seems uncalled for.

Regardless, the video was "accurate" information, delivered in a poor fashion. I think it's a grab at sensational titles that create views and their marketing team and potentially Banks is being blinded by the attention.

At the end of the day I think every party involved has a hand at improving this sport and community in different ways. Some we agree with and some we don't, but to blast anyone completely for being a detriment to our community seems foolish.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la

What many do not realize is that I am friends with EVERYONE. Over the past 2 days I have actually spoke to Guy, Banks, Jeremy, and many others. I am literally cool with everybody... I have respect for absolutely everyone as everyone has one hell of a list of accomplishments. The high road is always the best road to take, however, what Banks was saying was not inaccurate. The way it was delivered can totally be done differently and friendly... but that is not how they did it and it is what it is.

What is unfortunate is the way video made Guy look. Most everything Banks said - anyone can agree on as everything he said makes power. This was a project that was not properly put together and had a VERY poor execution from every aspect. The thing people need to understand is that IT WAS NOT Guy's project. He helped do some basic stuff to just get them started up and then tried to help them work with the crap that was there. He did what he could and the video made it look like he was part of the project. That sucks.

I think what these guys were trying to do is a absolutely great thing, however, they need to hire a project manager for the job so it can get done correctly. Hire a Guy, Mark, Gale, PPEI, or many of the others that understand how these things work and then get it done right. I expect after all of this mayhem that we will see that car come back a monster if they contract some help for it.

I think when Guy tells his side of the story - it will make much more sense. I knew from the second I watched the video that there was not a professional on that project and that it was not Socals work... or anyone that understood Diesels. Had it been Guy's project - You would of seen a much different setup and not so misrepresented.

T

Reactions: 56taskforce

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
I am sure Banks has monetized their YouTube videos and we all know drama sells. Then for the past 3 months you have him doing some cringey unboxing videos that could be possibly paid advertisements. With the views this video is getting the marketing team might start pumping him up to make more of these.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
What many do not realize is that I am friends with EVERYONE. Over the past 2 days I have actually spoke to Guy, Banks, Jeremy, and many others. I am literally cool with everybody... I have respect for absolutely everyone as everyone has one hell of a list of accomplishments. The high road is always the best road to take, however, what Banks was saying was not inaccurate. The way it was delivered can totally be done differently and friendly... but that is not how they did it and it is what it is.

What is unfortunate is the way video made Guy look. Most everything Banks said - anyone can agree on as everything he said makes power. This was a project that was not properly put together and had a VERY poor execution from every aspect. The thing people need to understand is that IT WAS NOT Guy's project. He helped do some basic stuff to just get them started up and then tried to help them work with the crap that was there. He did what he could and the video made it look like he was part of the project. That sucks.

I think what these guys were trying to do is a absolutely great thing, however, they need to hire a project manager for the job so it can get done correctly. Hire a Guy, Mark, Gale, PPEI, or many of the others that understand how these things work and then get it done right. I expect after all of this mayhem that we will see that car come back a monster if they contract some help for it.

I think when Guy tells his side of the story - it will make much more sense. I knew from the second I watched the video that there was not a professional on that project and that it was not Socals work... or anyone that understood Diesels. Had it been Guy's project - You would of seen a much different setup and not so misrepresented.

T

I appreciate you being professional and respectful all while still able to have a good debate/conversation. I am excited to see guy's video when it comes out and hope it clears the air.

What bank is saying is not wrong, how he went about saying it is what me and a lot of others did not appreciate.

What I think a lot of people also don't understand is that the powerplant that the Hoonigan's are building is very similar to 90% of the diesel performance community. I do agree as well that if they do hire a professional that the project will turn out a lot better, just kind of unrealistic for the majority of the diesel enthusiast.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
What I think a lot of people also don't understand is that the powerplant that the Hoonigan's are building is very similar to 90% of the diesel performance community. I do agree as well that if they do hire a professional that the project will turn out a lot better, just kind of unrealistic for the majority of the diesel enthusiast.

I remember reading cover too cover Super Chevy, Chevy HiPerformance, 4Wheeler, 4Wheel&Offroad and HotRod and thinking I want want one of those one day. It is just the same in the information age. Sell advertising get money, you do this by putting out outlandish builds.

I have never bought any product from Guy or Gale. I believe Gale is more wrong for attacking an incomplete project. Guy is wrong for putting out a project that is beneath him. Both of them are trying to make money in their own way.

Of course this is out of reach of the majority of diesel enthusiast, but this is why we do it. I love it and hate at the same time. Even if I had 1 Billion dollars, there will always be somebody out there more knowledge making less money that can out race me. That is the whole point of this "feud".

It all boils down too: If they make a good product buy it, if not don't

Or you could cry about on Bookface.

Not a personal attack just my $.02

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
I remember reading cover too cover Super Chevy, Chevy HiPerformance, 4Wheeler, 4Wheel&Offroad and HotRod and thinking I want want one of those one day. It is just the same in the information age. Sell advertising get money, you do this by putting out outlandish builds.

I have never bought any product from Guy or Gale. I believe Gale is more wrong for attacking an incomplete project. Guy is wrong for putting out a project that is beneath him. Both of them are trying to make money in their own way.

Of course this is out of reach of the majority of diesel enthusiast, but this is why we do it. I love it and hate at the same time. Even if I had 1 Billion dollars, there will always be somebody out there more knowledge making less money that can out race me. That is the whole point of this "feud".

It all boils down too: If they make a good product buy it, if not don't

Or you could cry about on Bookface.

Not a personal attack just my $.02

It is not Guys project.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I am sure Banks has monetized their YouTube videos and we all know drama sells. Then for the past 3 months you have him doing some cringey unboxing videos that could be possibly paid advertisements. With the views this video is getting the marketing team might start pumping him up to make more of these.
Drama for sure. I ended up watching his video where he picked up 60 (or was it 80) HP by changing piping. By the end, I was shaking my head like 'who cares'? While it was interesting that just changing piping picked up that much power, it was nothing to get overly excited about because you could never do what he did with an engine in a vehicle, so it was arguably a waste of time and resources.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk