Gale Banks reacts to Hoonigan 1000hp build

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Why does someone in his position go out of his way to post such Bias out of context video review?
It completes a full picture of a individual person and company who feel the need to call out others in such a way.
He has lost a lot of respect and credibility in a well educated industry.

His marketing strategy isn't trying to hit the educated industry, he is going for the guys that either have no clue what they are watching and think he is a god or the 50+ age group that run his stickers all over there trucks.

This stunt that he pulled was completely a marketing strategy and it worked for him.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Okay so a few observations after reading through most of this thread...

1. Most of the bashing of Gale in here is coupled with comments of “support the community” etc. Is an eye for an eye really the best solution here? The comments seem pretty hypocritical at best to me...
Korys and Guys comments seemed to have summed it up the best so kudos to them.

2. Again it seems like the majority of those bashing Gale in this thread also state they never have and never will own his products. It seems like that mindset had been made up prior to this video. In which case, this video wasn’t made for you! It’s a marketing piece and it wasn’t directed at you. You already know who Banks is, you already know their products, and you already have your mind made up on their products. The video isn’t for you, it’s for a new generation who doesn’t know and doesn’t have their mind made up. The fact that there’s 6 pages speaks to the success of the video though. No such thing as bad PR?

With that being said, could it have been more tactful and still been effective? I think so.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I disagree with most of what you said. You sound like you're addressing a high school class and love hearing yourself talk. Problem is, the guys here have been there and done that. I have run Banks products and still do. I have met Banks and done work for him. He is a nice and smart guy. He did not have to pull this shit to make a point and we don't need you to preach to us. I don't mind listening to your opinion, that is your right and I respect it. Just word it a different way.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I disagree with most of what you said. You sound like you're addressing a high school class and love hearing yourself talk. Problem is, the guys here have been there and done that. I have run Banks products and still do. I have met Banks and done work for him. He is a nice and smart guy. He did not have to pull this shit to make a point and we don't need you to preach to us. I don't mind listening to your opinion, that is your right and I respect it. Just word it a different way.
Fair enough. Also, I agree with your statement in bold. Maybe I didn't convey that well enough. I'm just wondering if this thread bashing him is any better than the video?

I follow his new marketing guy and he was specifically hired a couple years ago with one of the goals of revamping the companies marketing campaign to reach the "younger audience". The diff cover is a direct result of that as well. I would be willing to bet that this video is also a direct result, I believe Gale even commented at the beginning about it.

I'm not in marketing myself but I do know how difficult it is to take something existing that the "older guard" knows plenty about and somehow twist it to make it marketable to a younger generation, so I think I am giving Banks more slack for their failed attempt at trying. Better to try and fail than to not try at all... or some shit like that.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Fair enough. Also, I agree with your statement in bold. Maybe I didn't convey that well enough. I'm just wondering if this thread bashing him is any better than the video?

I follow his new marketing guy and he was specifically hired a couple years ago with one of the goals of revamping the companies marketing campaign to reach the "younger audience". The diff cover is a direct result of that as well. I would be willing to bet that this video is also a direct result, I believe Gale even commented at the beginning about it.

I'm not in marketing myself but I do know how difficult it is to take something existing that the "older guard" knows plenty about and somehow twist it to make it marketable to a younger generation, so I think I am giving Banks more slack for their failed attempt at trying. Better to try and fail than to not try at all... or some shit like that.

Your in the dmax corner bar, you are going to get guys who will just bash but for the majority posted here, its pretty competent posting voicing their issues, opinions and facts behind it. There is no way that every single person is NOT going to say something about this when it really was made unethically by a person who should be holding a higher standard in the dmax community.

as stated before, this was a shit way to go about it. He could have done this video without the antics and put downs. He could have made the call to Guy, dyno operator, tony or anyone else involved and got the facts right, then done a video on where things went wrong and how they are working on correcting them. That shit gets tons of views on youtube as well. This is "bad publicity" which makes a higher amount of people see him but tarnishes your name in the process. if he continues this, it wont be good for the company sadly....

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There were untruths spoken by Gale and I'm very surprised by them. For instance; he gave Guy a sticker for his race car many years ago. There was no sponsoring. Guy was asked to start the motor and make it run. He had nothing to do with this program. Gale new this yet he felt like taking a shot at Guy. As far as the forum bashing; I think it was mostly directed at what Gale said in the video and not his products. If Guy had done this to Gale; you would have seen the same thing from Gales friends and customers.

Reactions: RMJ_LB7

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Your in the dmax corner bar, you are going to get guys who will just bash but for the majority posted here, its pretty competent posting voicing their issues, opinions and facts behind it. There is no way that every single person is NOT going to say something about this when it really was made unethically by a person who should be holding a higher standard in the dmax community.

as stated before, this was a shit way to go about it. He could have done this video without the antics and put downs. He could have made the call to Guy, dyno operator, tony or anyone else involved and got the facts right, then done a video on where things went wrong and how they are working on correcting them. That shit gets tons of views on youtube as well. This is "bad publicity" which makes a higher amount of people see him but tarnishes your name in the process. if he continues this, it wont be good for the company sadly....

I agree 100% with what you've said, I guess I just interpreted some of the early comments (I only made it to Page 4 of the thread) differently.
The scope of "criticism" was going beyond the video and into the land of heresay.

I suppose what I did not consider was, yes, the video definitely could have been done better but I didn't stop to think how that feedback would get back to Banks... and I suppose the answer is this thread and I'm sure others like it in other parts of the internet.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not going to go back through and read everything that was said. There is always going to be those that bash, but I think the majority of those negative comments were about the misspoken or misleading statements made by Gale. As for how the feedback would get back to Banks, I made a comment on their facebook post of the video and got one semi-canned response from Banks and a bunch of their nut-swingers bashing me.

• Haha

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The diesel community is fairly tight knit, Gale could have made a phone call, and found some actual facts before opening his mouth and spreading lies. Others pointed out how Gale purposely overlooked parts of the video so he could make "juicier" remarks.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010

Could'nt agree with you more Mike!!!

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and RMJ_LB7