G80 failed.. best replacement

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Halfway through day one I'm happy with the truetrac. Haven't tried any funny business yet, but slow cornering is massively improved

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I looked at the Eaton literature again, it does say transfers *up to 3.5 times the torque to the high traction wheel*.

Yeah, somewhere in my screwed up brain I remember reading 3:1 on the forums and 3.5:1 and 4:1 from other sources. I think it's safe to say that there is voodoo happening within the pumpkin, and traction appears from both ends :)

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Halfway through day one I'm happy with the truetrac. Haven't tried any funny business yet, but slow cornering is massively improved

Jack - my biggest improvement was when I stopped peg-legging up the road when I'd punch it from a roll! The rest has been gravy :) But watch your ass when you get nasty and go sideways because she likes to keep swinging for a c-hair after you lift... lotta weight back there even empty :) I can swing that bitch back and forth hard and fast :)

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Hahahaha! I can't wait to try it but I've got to get the old g80 outta the bed first that's a heavy sucker.

I'll report back in a couple days,. Fwiw to the OPand others who don't have their own parts source, get seals and bolts etc from the dealer. A lot of what I sourced ,and what was delivered subsequently was wrong.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I've never used the other so I can't comment. The design benefits are all there so I don't think it could really be a bad choice. I don't have a real reason for choosing the truetrac over it, just felt like it lol.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
the tracrite is a 2:1, so IMHO for even money it's Truetrac 7 days a week. If you want to hunt down a bargain, then maybe it becomes a choice.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Keeping in mind I also did a new shaft, yokes at both ends, joints and a rear end rebuild at the same time, I'm really liking the truetrac. It's spooky smooth and it'll grip both sides pulling onto a road from stop. Still fighting a vibration that I'm pissed didn't go away during the r&r, but outside of that, I'm glad I got the truetrac. I'll report back in a week or so once I've gone through some paces.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Just got back from an errand and it reminded me - under normal driving, you'll have better traction in rain and snow too :). Of course if you punch it, then all bets are off LOL:woott:

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
It rained yesterday :) this thing is a blast.one of the big surprises is having traction both sides exiting a lot over uneven road crowns.

The truetrac may be the best driveability mod I've done yet. Getting off the freeway I used to have to plan the exit to a degree. This thing allows for some steering input I didn't think was possible with this truck. Definitely have some renewed faith in the ole girl and that maybe she is worth all this time and money :). I must have knicked an axle seal cuz I have a small weep at one hub. Guess it's time to button the back up totally with some new seals and parking brake hardware. OP I do not think you'll be disappointed.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Finished up the install, whoofaaa was it a little bit bigger project then I intended. This rear end was smoked but I didn't realize you literally have to pressure wash the thing out to get all the metal filings out of it. Anyways, this is my first carrier I installed that you had to adjust the collars (usually I do the ones with shims). Wow does that crush sleeve need some torque to get it set! ( May have over done the first one and way over shot the proper rotational torque). I don't know if I stated this before but I went with the tracrite from Greenville machine in p.a. People are awesome to do business with!! Very fast shipping and super knowledgeable. The way this rear end grips the road now is a little ridiculous, it grabs traction where needed. Very happy! Thanks for the help

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Not to be picky but to help people to find site , its Greensburg not ville and yes they are great !

Do you know how many times I had to go back on this post to find the correct name :rofl: kept typing the wrong name in Google to get the phone number! Thank you