G80 failed.. best replacement

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I don't think there is a trutrac for the front, not without an sas at least. I kind of associate arb with off road controlled driving not 1,000 + lb ft on the street. I'm not pulling though if I was I think the grizzly or equivalent is probably a better choice.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The AAM is a 2:1 bias and the trutrac is a 3:1 bias so it's more aggressive. The trutrac would better for the off roader or sled puller but an Arb would really be the best option if it's going to sled pull.

The aam or trutrac start driving both tires instantaneously, its not like a locker where there is a slight pause or a g80 where there is a great pause. Only when the traction for one tire is far greater than the other will it not longer function in driving both tires

I do not like autolockers for daily drivers. I've said many times over. They are loud, takes a different driving style and if you don't learn them, you will eat tires or find the ass end take place of the front end as it comes around on you unexpectedly in slick conditions. There is a "wind up" to then sometimes around corners and things can get interesting.

I'm not sure how a trutrac would do up front when in 2wd. You have to remember the driver side cv is always driving the diff. It may wear the worm gears out quickly. Don't really know though.

I personally like the g80 for what I do. I need a locker off road but I want nice driving characteristics on road. The next best thing/upgrade would be an arb

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
It's no where near the size that would be required but Quattro has been turning all 4's for decades with torsens front and rear, it's a pretty rugged design especially if assembled with an application in mind. I think for the front an arb is the right choice since youd only really be using it when you specifically wanted to anyways.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I really expected to blow my G80 up along time ago but it's done well for me. Several years ago I did research on what I was going to replace it with and I was going to replace it with a Detroit soft locker. A guy on Diesel place put one on his truck and really liked it. I'm not sure what else is out there for options besides what's already been mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
My Gov-loc still spun both tires on the pavement because of the clutches, but get one tire on ice and it wouldn't lock. Found the drive gear for the flyweight had some teeth missing.

If there was never a chance of my wife driving the truck, I'd have gotten a grizzly locker. But for my current application the Tracrite fit the bill perfectly (especially when bought used :thumb: ).

Personally I don't see the point in buying a Truetrac to get marginally better biasing when it's dang near the price of a full locker.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
It pulls 1 or 2 times a year
Going to look into the ARB vs the truetrac or tracrite more.

What are you guys referring to when you state one locker is more bias vs the other?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Probably should of done a quick Google search before my last post, but a ARB being a air locker isn't going to work for this truck just because what the truck is put through and the owner just wants get in and go type deal.

From my readings it's tracrite vs truetrac. I guess finding the best deal would be a good start.

Have any recommendations of where to purchase a full rearend rebuild with ring and pinion? Thanks for all the help fellas!

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
There's a lot of good places , I used East coast gear supply.

Im sure the aam would have sufficed for me and it was about 200 cheaper. The truetrac as a hardened case for whatever thats worth.

Hybrid its really totally different than a locker in how it operates/feels. its not like the locker is clearly a better choice, I'd say it's application dependent and they both shine in their own arenas. I haven't experienced it yet in the dmax so I'm more just going off past experience

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
The biasing has to do with how a Torsen transfers power. In a Truetrac for our trucks I think it's 4:1. So if you can manage 100ft lbs of torque before one tire slips, it will send 400ftlbs to the tire that grips. That's why guys that rock crawl don't use them; 0ftlbs of a tire in the air means 0ftlbs to the tire that grips... Means one spins and you don't move. Guys cheat this by applying some brake. Iirc the Dodge unit does not have as much bias.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Probably should of done a quick Google search before my last post, but a ARB being a air locker isn't going to work for this truck just because what the truck is put through and the owner just wants get in and go type deal.

From my readings it's tracrite vs truetrac. I guess finding the best deal would be a good start.

Have any recommendations of where to purchase a full rearend rebuild with ring and pinion? Thanks for all the help fellas!

Greensburg Machine in PA. Very good prices.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
The biasing has to do with how a Torsen transfers power. In a Truetrac for our trucks I think it's 4:1. So if you can manage 100ft lbs of torque before one tire slips, it will send 400ftlbs to the tire that grips. That's why guys that rock crawl don't use them; 0ftlbs of a tire in the air means 0ftlbs to the tire that grips... Means one spins and you don't move. Guys cheat this by applying some brake. Iirc the Dodge unit does not have as much bias.

I don't get that the truetrac more aggressive then the tracrite then. In what way? If the tracrite is 2:1 bias, and the trutrac is 4:1. To me the tracking right would be the way to go for some one who drives more off road no?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
No the truetrac is technically more adept at managing loss f traction when compared to the track right. The difference is probably negligible in 99% of scenarios. Technically, the truetrac can manage the torque split to a greater extent before the wheel with less traction becomes the o ly one receiving power.

In short, more fine control over the torque bias. I've no idea in actuality how great or small the actual difference would be

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I've never seen hard evidence posted of what the bias ratio actually is for both differentials. So for me it's all speculation at this point.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I can't speak to hard evidence, but the AAM is listed as 2:1 and the truetrac in all sizes is listed at 3:1. If Wally is right, the 11.5 has a 4:1 but I can't comment beyond that.

Wally after this is done I'll be down to hang with you haha

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
The only time you'd be wrong by saying that is if one wheel is not touching the ground. With the torsen it will freespin, so add a little brake to brin things back within it's workin range