LB7: Fuel problems

hammerwood

Sep 21, 2012
IL
I have a 2001 gmc duramax with lb7 was running great until a week ago when i pulled into the driveway and died. It would not start back up. Did some research and i desided the cp3 pump was bad so i replaced it with a new one. Now it still wont start unless i use strating fluid and it will not idle. It also losses prime after i start it. I have checked the lines and they are not clogged, there is not leaks, and no air in lines. My oil pressure gage has also stopped working since i changed the cp3 pump.
Any ideas on what could be wrong?

hammerwood

Sep 21, 2012
IL
Started with starting fluid and i keep my foot on gas to keep it running for 30min and it still wont idle. The air should be out of the lines

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Fuel filter housing thing where the filter screws on can I bad and won't hold prime u can get a rebuild kit cheap or just a while new one.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I'd look at your fuel filter housing, they are a common issue. Also I would change all the rubber lines on the motor, they get pretty dry rotted and cracked..

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I got some BAD fuel a couple weeks ago, truck wouldn't start. Drained the tank and put new filters on now its back to normal (I hope).

hammerwood

Sep 21, 2012
IL
Ok now i have tried pumping the prime and it pumps just fine and pumps up til i cant pump it no more but in 10min of just sitting ( not running not trying to start it ) it loses prime and i cant find where the pressure is going,

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
You could have an injector stuck open and you can't maintain the min fuel pressure to keep the ficm working.you can bottle test the returns or a crude test is pull all the glow plugs and pull the inj fuses have some one crank it over with a man on each side of the truck send check to see which cylinders are misting out the glow plug holes.Those would be your injectors that are stuck open.

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Not trying to be an asshole but do you have enough fuel in the tank? Reason I ask is because my fuel gauge quit working a long time ago and I keep track of fuel level with my trip odometer. Girlfriend accidently reset it without knowing. Clueless to me, my truck died and had the exact same symptoms. However, there was enough fuel to prime and turn over for a second as well as hearing the lift pump return fuel to the tank. Easy fix.

Where did you get your cp3 from? Is it an LB7 cp3?

hammerwood

Sep 21, 2012
IL
it has no fuel coming from the injection pump and its new it has fuel coming in but none coming out is there anything that can couse it to stop pumping

hammerwood

Sep 21, 2012
IL
i have put injection pump fuel lines filter preasure regulater injectors i got more in parts than i got in the truck so i need some help i dont know what else to check

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Rebuild the fuel filter head, cheap and easy to rule out. Do you have a way to log fuel rail psi while cranking? So this issue started out of the blue and since it quit running you have put a new cp3, regulator, and injectors in it? Do I have that sequence correct or did it quit running after you put the new injectors in?
And how do you know that there is no fuel coming from the injection pump?