Front Seal replacement

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, my front seal decided to die, so I'm going to have to replace it... Should have replaced it while I had the motor out but I didn't :rolleyes:. Anyway, are there any places that would have the proper tools for removal & installation such as Autozone or O'Rilley? They probably have similar tools for gassers, but not sure about anything that would work in the DMax...

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Its a Kent Moore only tool. You might be able to plead with your dealer to borrow theirs. You can do it without the tool but you have to be careful. I will take a picture of the tool when I get home and maybe you can make something similar.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Well, my front seal decided to die, so I'm going to have to replace it... Should have replaced it while I had the motor out but I didn't :rolleyes:. Anyway, are there any places that would have the proper tools for removal & installation such as Autozone or O'Rilley? They probably have similar tools for gassers, but not sure about anything that would work in the DMax...

I made my own seal drivers for the front and rear main seals , if you have a plasma and can cut the ring ( ID /OD of the seal ) its as easy as welding the ring to a piece of pipe / tubing , for removal you will have to get clever unless you pull the front cover , I have gotten a few rear mains seals out with a slide hammer and self tapper screw into the face of the metal ring that stays on the crank .

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
Its a Kent Moore only tool. You might be able to plead with your dealer to borrow theirs. You can do it without the tool but you have to be careful. I will take a picture of the tool when I get home and maybe you can make something similar.

how bout a part number as well i really need to get one of them!

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
After jumping threw hoops to borrow the tool from the dealer for the rear main seal I decided I was not doing that again a few weeks later when I had to remove the front cover do to a bad O-ring (Oil Leak).. I used a combination of PVC pipe (3" IIRC) and a rubber mallet. So far so good, NO LEAKS :) If the tool was not so over priced I would definetly buy one but after seeing how it works and the simplicity of it I just can't justify the $500 bucks for the Front/rear kit. I did hang onto both my old front and rear seals and plan on doing like Trent did and building my own when I get time..

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
why to diff part numbers? and why so dang high? whats so great about it? if you guys are sayinwe can make somethign that works just as good heck i will try and make mine also,what about some pics of ones that been made.

thanks guys

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
It's alot more in the kit for the money. You get the front and rear puller and the installer front and rear and also injector puller valve spring compesor and flywheel holder. You can find the kits on eBay for 300.00. All the part numbers are in the tool crib area for these guys with little pics.