Front Hub Replacment

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I’m going to be doing a lift here right away and want to put new bearings in the new knuckles. Was looking on rockauto and it seems no matter the brand (With the exception of Mevotech where their HD part is corrosion resistant coated) they all have 2 or 3 different grades where the only real difference appears to be the warranty. The more you pay the better the warranty.

My experience used to be oem was best but nowadays it doesn’t seem to matter-its a crapshoot if you get a good one. Being as this job isn’t terrible to do, I’m going to buy the cheap mevotech bearing with the 5 year warranty and roll the dice.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've always steered customers to Timken. That said my Timken set on my LLY (still have the chassis) are the old Timkens, probably from 2017 or so. My LB7 has a set of Raybestos with ~15k on em and they've been fine but it's also sat the last 3yrs. I will tell you one thing tho, my Timkens are not staying on the chassis when it goes to the wrecking yard.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
DMax store has them. I just want to go with a brand i truest. Some of the AC Delco stuff I haven’t been a fan of lately. I always like DMax stores parts. Anyone tried these?
Both of my hubs are Kryptonite. Have been on for not sure how long, couple/several years at this point with probably 30-50k miles or more put on them. Just put a set on dads truck also.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've always steered customers to Timken. That said my Timken set on my LLY (still have the chassis) are the old Timkens, probably from 2017 or so. My LB7 has a set of Raybestos with ~15k on em and they've been fine but it's also sat the last 3yrs. I will tell you one thing tho, my Timkens are not staying on the chassis when it goes to the wrecking yard.
those are still in the "risky" years. They started going to crap around 11 or 12 iirc. I think they changed production or materials since we were still in a recession from the crash. Since then, they just aint been the same

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
those are still in the "risky" years. They started going to crap around 11 or 12 iirc. I think they changed production or materials since we were still in a recession from the crash. Since then, they just aint been the same
Knock on wood I haven't had issues out of them yet on customers vehicles but most guys shy away when it comes to price and go to a different shop who will put in whatever is cheapest without a care in the world.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I thought I read that they move production (maybe to China or somewhere similar) and the new plant was having growing pains with quality control but it was expected to eventually iron out the issue. Unfortunately many of the bad ones make it into the wild and no one knows which ones they are. I would expect by now they would have it all under control and either they are all good or all crap depending on which direction Timken decided to go