Front Hub Replacment

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
Front Drivers side hub is going out. Found a brand on the internet…but it is a lot cheaper than an AC Delco Replacement. I know cheaper is not always better but sometimes it works just fine. Anyone ever used this brand? Or do they recommend another brand?

Attachments

• 27DE57D6-99C8-4214-B5D8-2D9A2F3B086D.png
    27DE57D6-99C8-4214-B5D8-2D9A2F3B086D.png
    727.4 KB · Views: 24

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Go ahead. When you come back in a few months asking why it failed, well......you can do the job the right way, or do it twice.

Timken are on my truck, but they are older style, and even Timken quality is suspect nowadays. I use SKF or AC Delco on our cars.

TRQ is pure junk parts. I shake my head every single time I deliver one of those boxes to a customer. If one of my kids brought those parts to me, I would refuse to install them.

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
Put a drivers front Delco in my 2010 in 2020 @204k. Now at 226k its making noise. Made slight noise from new though but...what can you do. It is getting really hard to buy good parts it seems. And more and more people are keeping older trucks on the road, and offshore continues to flood markets with crap.
Gave it a new delco starter at 195k though, and it never has failed me nor has the truck ever spun over that fast!.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Go ahead. When you come back in a few months asking why it failed, well......you can do the job the right way, or do it twice.

Timken are on my truck, but they are older style, and even Timken quality is suspect nowadays. I use SKF or AC Delco on our cars.

TRQ is pure junk parts. I shake my head every single time I deliver one of those boxes to a customer. If one of my kids brought those parts to me, I would refuse to install them.
I had two SKF bearings go bad in 10k miles, everything is going to shit these days 🤷🏻‍♂️

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022

That’s how I figured it would be. I found Detroit Axle brand hubs. Those any good. I had never heard of the brand I posted until when I looked em up but I figured with a price tag like that they have to be junk. I know Kryptonite makes good front end parts for these trucks and they have a front hub. Thought about buying those. Just going to keep looking around. Will probably go with AC Delco but I have heard good things about Detroit Axle but don’t know if the hubs are good.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What i noticed is the cheaper bearings just SNAP. no warning. Better ones will start to go and make noise or become loose.

That said, its luck of the draw on SKF, Timken, or ac delco. You are going to have the best luck with those but get the one with the best warranty. napa is great for that.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detroit Axle is TRQ. Same thing. Cheap crap.

That makes me sick that any SKF hub went bad quickly. WT-everloving-F?!? They were my last option on hubs.

Max, do you know about adding grease to the front hubs? Was found years ago to help them live longer.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That makes me sick that any SKF hub went bad quickly. WT-everloving-F?!? They were my last option on hubs.
it really sucks... i kept a spare hub in the back of the truck because of that. having one fail on the highway 12 hours from home sucked ass. got towed to napa so i could repair it in their parking lot. spent 2 hours waiting on a truck to fix it in 30 min

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
it really sucks... i kept a spare hub in the back of the truck because of that. having one fail on the highway 12 hours from home sucked ass. got towed to napa so i could repair it in their parking lot. spent 2 hours waiting on a truck to fix it in 30 min
Is the one in the back still good? I was looking at it wondering 🤣

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I thought the bearing were sealed? On my ranger I rebuilt hubs and packed new bearings but I thought these trucks had sealed bearings. How would I grease them because if there’s a way I can I want to add some grease till i fix it.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
DMax store has them. I just want to go with a brand i truest. Some of the AC Delco stuff I haven’t been a fan of lately. I always like DMax stores parts. Anyone tried these?

Attachments

• F510EB8D-B1C7-4E39-80F9-032467039022.png
    F510EB8D-B1C7-4E39-80F9-032467039022.png
    755.9 KB · Views: 19

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thing is, NAPA hubs are SKF.
yes i know. thats why i listed the three mfg i feel are the best and then said to get the ones with the best warranty because regardless, you are probably going to be using it
Is the one in the back still good? I was looking at it wondering 🤣
its a used one with a cunt hair of play off my buddies dually. its a factory wheel hub so i know it will get your ass where ever you need to before getting a new one.

Reactions: gmduramax

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just go with kryptonite, they offer the lifetime warranty or will it not apply to the bearing?
the problem with dmax store is the "sit and wait". they want the old one back before warrantying it and its up to their discrecion. with a box store unit, it usually as simple as "walk in, exchange, walk out".

Reactions: MaxComp88B

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
the problem with dmax store is the "sit and wait". they want the old one back before warrantying it and its up to their discrecion. with a box store unit, it usually as simple as "walk in, exchange, walk out".
Ya that's an issue. Even if I wasn't using my truck to dd I'm not going to sit around for a few weeks waiting.

That being said I put new SKFs in about 5 years ago. Still working alright.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
When I called Kryptonite, It didn't seem like an issue to warranty stuff as long as it is registered or you have proof of purchase from an Authorized dealer. Bdsankey would probably know better since he is a Dealer.

Yes you have to send it in first because they need to claim it back. In the past people would call for a warranty and never return the bad stuff.

Yes that is a little inconvenient for some Vs. going to a parts store in your neighbor hood. Occasionally though some parts store are out of stock on said part and you have to wait a few days as well.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I bought TRQ hubs for mine from 1Aauto back in 2016. Still on there and no noise, I figured for $150/pair why not try. Lifetime warranty