LB7: Found my fuel prime problem

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Trans lines are a bad idea bc of the heat involved. Im pretty sure hard lines are epa and safety mandated on production vehicles. Vibration is WAY worse in marine applications, I figure Tom lives in the rust belt so why not?

I dont think hard hold up better at all. Go hit a hard line with a hammer then go hit a soft line...

The soft lines doesn't fail on the trans line the crimp does. So heat isn't the sole issue.

Hit it with a hammer? Ya thats practical. Go test it I'll put my money on a hard line. No one's ever had a tire get a bulge after hitting a pot hole.

You say you think it's a safety mandate, but why would that be if they ain't "better".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
The soft lines doesn't fail on the trans line the crimp does. So heat isn't the sole issue.

Hit it with a hammer? Ya thats practical. Go test it I'll put my money on a hard line. No one's ever had a tire get a bulge after hitting a pot hole.

You say you think it's a safety mandate, but why would that be if they ain't "better".

Your right, protect me, oh great government...:D

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia

I had my LLY trans over 300 degrees a time to two, rubber held up fine, it had the original set at 230k miles.
I'm on my second set on this truck and they blow out at the crimp, looks like the rubber is getting soft and pulling away from the end on mine.

Power steering cooler lines are 3 years old now, and the ends seem to be getting pretty soft, I think the type of hose you use depends on the life, cheap rubber hates diesel a little more than other oils . I'm changing the p/s lines tomorrow with the pump and added cooler.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
How are your all's lines and fittings rusting? Sitting too much?

I wouldn't have thought to check the fittings or lines either, I have seen some old beat up half tons rusted to death but I can't figure out how. I drive a lot of miles on shitty salty roads.

My trucks have never sat longer than 12 hours unless of course I was working on something.

I have a heated garage now, which killed my grandparents vehicles it seemed like, hope this one doesn't start.
It's because the salt sat there and doesn't get cleaned off. If you think the rust belt is bad go find a vehicle that sat by the ocean. I have gensets and light plants that are just a engine and a frame sitting on the ground. The body etc has rusted away after 6 years.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
How are your all's lines and fittings rusting? Sitting too much?

I wouldn't have thought to check the fittings or lines either, I have seen some old beat up half tons rusted to death but I can't figure out how. I drive a lot of miles on shitty salty roads.

My trucks have never sat longer than 12 hours unless of course I was working on something.

I have a heated garage now, which killed my grandparents vehicles it seemed like, hope this one doesn't start.

I had my truck parked for a couple months in our side yard this spring. I also didnt wash it as much during the winter as I should have -- so the salt had a chance to work its wonderful magic on the underside of my truck.
A heated garage is death in the winter...the heat allows the salt to work, too. Keep your truck washed.

GM's fuel lines and brake lines on these trucks are SHIT metal. If you live anywhere that gets snow, and you havent replaced either yet, just wait. You will.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wonder how much good it would to to paint them. Nothing crazy maybe plastic dip. Not sure if you could install them without scratching it all off.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Wonder how much good it would to to paint them. Nothing crazy maybe plastic dip. Not sure if you could install them without scratching it all off.

My brake lines on my LMM have a black coating on them, not sure if it helps but it's on there.

Paint or something on the fittings at least would have to help for a while.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This 6-foot-tall box showed up today. uploadfromtaptalk1472864496617.jpg

"Free shipping" for that thing from NovaScotia? WTF? Now I understand why those fuel lines are so expensive. :hehe:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1472864496617.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1472864496617.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 37

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Finally got the truck done. Working until 7pm most days now pretty much puts the kibosh on chores during the week.

Notes:

Every single "quick-connect" fitting under my truck -- wasnt. Everything was r-u-s-t-e-d up completely.

Had to drop the tank and replace the braided feed line, too. Used the Kennedy line and quick fittings for now. Will have to find time to install the pump setup. Just wanted to get the truck running for now.

Luckily I had the tank straps from the half-ton b/c I had to cut mine to get the tank down. Both strap bolts/nuts rusted and the trapped nuts broke.
Dorman 55157 are the replacement bolts and nuts to remount the tank. Anyone in the North will have to buy these, too.

The lines from LinesToGo, both fuel and brake lines, are some of the best-made parts Ive bought. Perfect fit and they even made the fuel lines in two parts for easier install (they separate at the soft lines between the trans and frame).