LB7: Found my fuel prime problem

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
As you all know, the drive back from Mizzouri with the Q-steer bed wasnt too fun due to my truck losing prime at idle.

Rebuilt existing filter head -- helped but didnt solve problem
New filter head -- helped but didnt solve problem

I have a Kennedy single pump setup (what a nice kit!) ready to go on.
I was under the truck scouting pump mounting locations this afternoon and checking fuel line connections.
I found the supply line hose to hardline connection behind the fuel cooler to be heavily rusted and wet -- leaking slightly.
So I probably should look into new fuel lines before I mount the pump and filter head. Won-der-ful.

If anyone knows the GM part number for the complete fuel line assy from cooler/tank to the engine connections, let me know. 03 CC/SB
My searching only gives me "front" and "rear" assemblies, which is confusing.

Word to the wise -- if you live in salt country and/or park your truck for extended periods (months) on grass or dirt when you're not using it, check your brake and fuel lines for corrosion.

Last edited:

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I'm in the same boat but luckily the cooler lines went first and leaked fuel instead of sucking air. Right now there is a rubber line bypassing it untill I make up my mind on fuel lines. I'm thinking parker transportation hose and custom fuel pickup tube.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
let me know Tom of this helps or is what your looking for? I have part numbered saved at shop. I just did this on a 2002 ccsb lb7.

Attachments

• 133266.jpg
    133266.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 133262.jpg
    133262.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 53

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks Arneson. 15169344 is it. I guess GM calls that the "front" lines in the system. Finelines crosses to FL588A for LB7 CC.

Nick, XC LB7 number is 15169342, Finelines FL588B

RC LB7 is 15169343, Finelines FL588C

Keep in mind, none of those numbers include the lines on the tank. Those are the "rear" lines in GM lingo. The Finelines numbers are their standard replacements, not stainless steel. If you want stainless, change the "FL" to "SS". Finelines also includes the fuel cooler line. I dont think the GM sets do? Turns out Rockauto sells all of them. http://www.linestogo.com/product-finder/?year=2003&make=GMC&model=Sierra+2500+HD
I had always assumed the lines to/from the tank were the same for all body styles. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the assist.

Last edited:

mulmur1

Aug 27, 2014
I found new lines at a company called linestogo.com. They offer a full set of replacement fuel lines. I went with the stainless version. Their part number is SS588-A1 for a crewcab, short box. There is a second line #5069-01 which goes between the tank and cooler. The lines all connected to the OEM frame rail fittings perfectly. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool, which you can purchase at Advanced, NAPA, OReillys etc. The line going from the tank to the cooler is a bit of a pain. Also, if you lines were as rusted as mine, you may have to cut off some of lines with a dremel tool. Just be very careful to not damage the inner fittings. My fuel cooler also needed to be replaced, due to rust and I purchased it through Merchant-automotive.com.

While I was replacing the line, I added an AirdogII for additional filtration and it also made it much easier to prime the engine, after changing the main engine fuel filter. Merchant-automotive also has a fuel filter head spacer block, which makes it a little easier to get your hands or filter wrench around the main fuel filter.

Good luck with your repair.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks for the post. Got them ordered this morning. Opted for the FineLines/Lines To Go set.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Why not just run new soft lines front to back? I did that on my LMM when it had fuel issues, I just pulled the bed and connected them straight to the tank then to the air dog and up to the factory fitting on the drivers side with a hose clamp...

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Me too but between the winter trip up north and going to the beach things aint looking so hot.

I would never replace all the lines with soft lines on a truck I was planing to keep for a while. They come with hard line for a reason.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would never replace all the lines with soft lines on a truck I was planing to keep for a while. They come with hard line for a reason.

can you elaborate on this. i am curious to hear your take / opinion on why this is so

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I replaced all the transmission cooler lines on my plow truck with parker 801 push lock a few years ago with no issue. They would rust out in 3-4 years when I used coated steel lines.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
can you elaborate on this. i am curious to hear your take / opinion on why this is so

Me too???

I see extreme duty marine applications use nothing but soft lines. I'm almost positive it's some epa mandate. I do know the factory hard lines are a restriction...;)

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Me too???

I see extreme duty marine applications use nothing but soft lines. I'm almost positive it's some epa mandate. I do know the factory hard lines are a restriction...;)

Do the marine apps have a fuel pump in or near tank? If a Duramax has soft lines and only sucking from cp3 wouldn't that collapse soft lines?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Hard lines take a lot more abuse and generally hold up a lot better. Corrosion issues and dedicated competition vehicles being the only time I would consider running soft lines. Marine applications isn't a fair comparison. I dont know enough about the industry to commit other then guessing the vibrations of land use. There are very few land based vehicals that don't use as much hard line as posable.

I believe Mike L was against replacing the hard trans lines with soft.

Now they make reinforced soft lines that will hold up as well as our cheap hard lines, but I doubt thats what most are using.

They make soft line that will hold up to vacuum.

Look at it like this these hard lines lasted 10 year in Tom's truck. There isn't much for soft lines that I bet would of done the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Trans lines are a bad idea bc of the heat involved. Im pretty sure hard lines are epa and safety mandated on production vehicles. Vibration is WAY worse in marine applications, I figure Tom lives in the rust belt so why not?

I dont think hard hold up better at all. Go hit a hard line with a hammer then go hit a soft line...

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Pump will go on when new fuel lines do.

I see nothing wrong with using rubber all the way up, except in a racing application. I chose not to in this instance

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
How are your all's lines and fittings rusting? Sitting too much?

I wouldn't have thought to check the fittings or lines either, I have seen some old beat up half tons rusted to death but I can't figure out how. I drive a lot of miles on shitty salty roads.

My trucks have never sat longer than 12 hours unless of course I was working on something.

I have a heated garage now, which killed my grandparents vehicles it seemed like, hope this one doesn't start.