Few sled pulling questions?

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
1. When starting out is it better to boost it up or start out slow or just mash the go pedal?

2. What are egt numbers going to look like while pulling, i have seen ec33 talk about peggin the needle at 1600 and i start to get scared at anything above 1250? will it hurt anything to run that hot for that amount of time?

3. When coming to the end of a pull do you just let of the gas and let everything just abruptly stop or do you bump it into nuetral and rev the motor a bit and let things come down nice and easy?

4. i am running 2" blocks in the rear to level out my truck with green keys, i am taking the green keys out and lowering the front down to pull but should i be ok pulling w/ those 2" blocks or should i take them out too? i am running 285's and 16x10's so rubbing might be an issue w/ the front end down?

5. Any other team salad pointers are more than welcome.:rockon:

thanks
travis

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
1. Depends on the track....dont boost it up if you have a stock charger. If the track it tacky and the truck is going to hook up good. Then just give her heck after you tighten the chain....if it is a loose track i like to roll out alittle ways like 5-10 feet about half throttle then give her hell
2. Um well you just dont look at that gauge:) it doesnt tell you anything that you already are going to know
3. I Always bump mine into nuetral and give alittle teeny rev at the end.....thats to keep the turbo from barking.....its not hard to do and dont be afraid of throwing it into reverse....if it does go into reverse the allison is smart enough to keep it from really engaging for a few seconds...
4. if you have traction bars you Should be ok with the blocks...but if not take the blocks out...it will cause the truck to axle wrap and wheel hop.
5. dont run the rear tire pressure lower than 45 psi....that will cause a wheel hop situation if the rears are to low
6. Have fun and just pay attention to the flagers:)

jeramoosh

Sep 17, 2006
Harrisonville, PA.
1- I tried once to boost mine up, but in low range it just started to roll out like i wasnt even holding the brakes.
2- 17 hooks and have never looked once at the gauge!:)
3-I bump mine into neutral
4-Just make sure the cv shafts are straight if not saging down lower in the front! Not sure about your 2 in. blocks in the rear.
5- I run half the air pressure in the front as i do in the back. Useally Front-25psi,Rear50psi
Get your truck as close to maximum weight as possible, 3rd gear low range

Last edited:

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
you dont even have to rev it.....as long as you hit neutral it wont bark the turbo as long as its the stock turbo

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I have avidly watched diesel truck pulls for about 5 years (probably go to 25 - 50 pulls a year just to spectate and hang out with friends that already pull) or so and will finally be making my first hook this upcoming season (stock or work stock type classes). On another site it was recommended that I not run front weights for my first few pulls until I get the hang (no pun intended) of pulling. I figured I should at least try to be as heavy as possible though, right?

Sorry if this is a Hijack. I figured it would be appropriate for the thread originator to hear the answers to this since he is new to pulling also.

Thanks.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I have avidly watched diesel truck pulls for about 5 years (probably go to 25 - 50 pulls a year just to spectate and hang out with friends that already pull) or so and will finally be making my first hook this upcoming season (stock or work stock type classes). On another site it was recommended that I not run front weights for my first few pulls until I get the hang (no pun intended) of pulling. I figured I should at least try to be as heavy as possible though, right?

Sorry if this is a Hijack. I figured it would be appropriate for the thread originator to hear the answers to this since he is new to pulling also.

Thanks.

i was also wondering if i should hang wieghts for my first pull?

trailerpro

Aug 6, 2006
Salem, Ohio
I don't see why you wouldn't want to hang weight the first time. We made about half our hooks with and half without and the truck seemed smoother with the weight hanging.