Fass trashed

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
First off I'd drop the tank. There white or grey inside. Id pump out the tank, and hand wipe it clean. It's easy to do. Then I'd get diesel from a place where highway tractors fuel up, or a well know place that moves lots of diesel. Then go find yourself some FPPF additive. It's a small bottle, that treats 200+gallons. The bottle is small and white only holds 6-8oz. That stuff is the ONLY additive that I've found that mixes the water with the diesel and carries it through the fuel system SAFELY!! 911 is junk! Don't ever run it. That stuff is for emergencies only, and DOES NOT mix with water. I have tried with all additives and FPPF is the only!! Stuff that works. After all that I would just keep an eye on my filters and drain them every couple of days. You'll be fine. I've been throught the exact same thing!! Hope this helps.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
In my opinion, you don't want an additive that makes the water mix with the fuel. You want an additive that separates it out and makes it easier for the filters to catch. You just have to make sure you drain the water from time to time.

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
You'd be surprised from that additive. I put it in a jar with diesel, water, and that additive. Shook it up really good left it for a day and it looked like straight diesel. I agree with water shouldn't be ran through. But it works!!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You do NOT want any additive that emulsifies (mixes) water and diesel so it can pass through the fuel system.

Here is the 2013 Duramax manual. In section 9-19 through 9-20 (pages 45 & 46), it says:

• Notice: Diesel fuel or fuel additives not recommended in this manual could damage the fuel system, fuel‐operated heater (FOH) (Van models only), and engine. Your warranty would not cover this damage
  • Some additives, particularly those which contain alcohol or water emulsifiers, could damage the fuel system.
All year models contain similar text in the manual. The only safe additives are the ones that help to separate the water, so it can safely be trapped in the water separator and drained as needed.

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
Never had an issue. Been running it for years. By far the worse additives to run are Kleenex flow and 911! So many killed injectors and pumps with that stuff.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
In my opinion, you don't want an additive that makes the water mix with the fuel. You want an additive that separates it out and makes it easier for the filters to catch. You just have to make sure you drain the water from time to time.

That's why I use Seafoam as that's what it does. You can even put it in your engine oil to do a clean to remove water.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Dito: remove the water do not mix it! Why do you think almost all diesel fuel systems have water separators! If you are emulsifying the water you my as well remove the separator from the system.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I doubt anyone has ruined a fuel system from using an emulsifier a few times... IIRC FPPF was the product Kennedy used and sold.

Boy I though I was anal. I must be getting lazy in my old age. In my line of work it never fails if someone forgets to put the fuel cap on a piece of equipment or my Dragup tank its going to rain that night...I have gotten water out of a fuel tank a time or two.

A long time ago Bodysurfer on DP did a little test on fuel additives not real scientific, but interesting. Stay the hell away from EZoil I ran it back in the day. My truck would "diesel" on cool morning sometimes running it. After I quit using it my truck has never sounded that bad again.