Fass trashed

steve86

Apr 8, 2014
kansas
Truck fell on its face on Friday there wad a p0087 code went out and pull all filters rust all over the fass pump the pickup tube in the water seperater side rusted mind u 6000 miles on new injectors fass same time line that was installed pissed filter in bay area I dunno good maybe I dunno this is my first time going threw this normal or not

Attachments

• 20141012_122902.jpg
    20141012_122902.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20141012_122912.jpg
    20141012_122912.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20141012_122856.jpg
    20141012_122856.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 94

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
Truck fell on its face on Friday there wad a p0087 code went out and pull all filters rust all over the fass pump the pickup tube in the water seperater side rusted mind u 6000 miles on new injectors fass same time line that was installed pissed filter in bay area I dunno good maybe I dunno this is my first time going threw this normal or not

I can't understand a word your saying, did you just eat some peanut butter or something?

steve86

Apr 8, 2014
kansas
My truck threw a p0087 code. So I pulled all of the fuel filters off and they had rust everywhere! The pickup tube that goes in the water seperater side is completely rusted. I installed the fass lift pump same time I did injectors 6000 miles ago. Where's all the rust coming from and has anyone come across this

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It sounds like you got a bad tank of fuel with allot of water in it. Hopefully the Fass did its job and removed all the water before it got to your new injectors. First thing I'd do is drop the fuel tank and clean it out. Put as much of the fuel in a clear container of some kind and let it settle for a while. Check and see if there is water in the bottom of the container of fuel. It will be easy to see after sitting.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Then you've had a lot of water in the fuel I check for water every tank. I've had the same pump for 6 years without a issue and I even submerged the truck in water once smh.....

I'd pull the tank and check it to. Also I'd contact fass and talk with them about it. Did you send in your warranty paper work?

On edit got treed on the water issue.... lol

steve86

Apr 8, 2014
kansas
Well so what's the damage here? Pulled the one in the engine bay it's a ac Delco didn't look near as bad as the fass but had some water in it! I run diesel service every tank.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
No, they have it on file if you sent it in. As far as the damage, Sounds like between the fass and the stock filter the water was removed. I don't know what to tell you other than clean the tank, repair the lift pump and filter setup and replace the stock filter. Hopefully someone else will have better advise for you.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I wouldn't be blaming the FASS sounds like it saved your @ss. I would be looking at where you buy your fuel from!!!!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
What is he dropping the tank and checking for? Water...How are you going to see water looking into a black plastic tank? Thats a lot of work when all he needs to do is drain his water separator weekly. Drain it into a glass jar leave it sit somewhere for a day and look for a lair of water in the bottom of the jar. If your anal you can drop the tank, but thats a little over kill.

How do you feel about a sump? You could install a sump then you would know there is little to no water left in it. Or you could run something like Power Service 911 they have alcohol in them normally to help deal with water better. You just don't want to run them often since they are hard on injectors also it might not be such a good idea if there was a lot of water in your fuel tank.

The Fass did its job, and so did the diesel service. Read up on fuel additives. They help water separate out of fuel so the water separator can catch it. The problem was YOU never drained the separator.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'd pull the box, open up the tank and clean every drop of fuel out just for piece of mind. Clean fuel is key to keeping your fuel system happy.
Use some diesel 911 or sea foam and drain your fass filter and the one under the hood every tank till clean as well.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
What is he dropping the tank and checking for? Water...How are you going to see water looking into a black plastic tank? Thats a lot of work when all he needs to do is drain his water separator weekly. Drain it into a glass jar leave it sit somewhere for a day and look for a lair of water in the bottom of the jar. If your anal you can drop the tank, but thats a little over kill.

How do you feel about a sump? You could install a sump then you would know there is little to no water left in it. Or you could run something like Power Service 911 they have alcohol in them normally to help deal with water better. You just don't want to run them often since they are hard on injectors also it might not be such a good idea if there was a lot of water in your fuel tank.

The Fass did its job, and so did the diesel service. Read up on fuel additives. They help water separate out of fuel so the water separator can catch it. The problem was YOU never drained the separator.
in my post I suggested he drop the tank so it could be cleaned thoroughly, put a sample of the fuel in a clear container so he could see if water was there. I Didn't suggest he pull the tank every time he filled up, hope it didn't sound that way. LBZ actually had the best idea by lifting the bed off to clean the tank out.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If it has fuel in it it's easier to lift off the box. I've done the teeter totter on a floojack dance too many times.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Lol no I would burn my truck to the ground before dropping the tank every fill up.

Dropping the tank or pulling the box is still a lot of work IMO. He has/had water in the tank it's easy enough to get it out via the separator.

Now with winter coming around I would expedite it by keeping the tank low on fuel. Putting no more then you think is reasonable. Maybe even add a few gal every day. It will get the water out faster. That is if there is even any water left in it. You really don't want water in there come winter.

Oh like other said find a new fuel stop.

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Having pulled my bed to replace the fuel pickup, it is not that hard to do. And contrary to what you would expect, the inside of the tank (at least mine) was gray, not black.

I looked around with a flashlight, and found a couple beads of water (pea-size) that I sucked out with a syringe. I also found the felt seal to a bottle of fuel additive that must have fallen down the filler :eek:

All in all, probably only took 2 hours start to finish. You'll want 2 friends (4 would be better) to help lift the bed off if you don't have a lift.

With the amount of water/rust found in the OP's tank, I would personally go ahead and pull the bed, and suck out any water. Well worth the 2 hours.