Factory frame coating removal

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Looks good. Will be nice not getting the nasty wax all over you when you work on it.
Thank you. The truck was starting to look like a 90s gasser frame all rusty looking. (Not quite as bad) It was getting depressing to look at. Plus I bought a new house back in July with a garage. Now that I can keep the truck in the garage over winter. There isn't a better time to do something about the rust starting to form.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
I need to do this to my truck this summer. Ive got several layers of rattle can paint on top of rust and is starting to bug me. I bought my truck in texas rust free and after one winter in kansas it was rusting pretty good.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Moto how long did it take you?
It took two days corbin. I removed the bed the week before and did the frame this past weekend.

I did go with the 285/50s like you said I should. They rub just a hair. And the powder coat guy is waiting on me after I hack my bumpers down.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It took two days corbin. I removed the bed the week before and did the frame this past weekend.

I did go with the 285/50s like you said I should. They rub just a hair. And the powder coat guy is waiting on me after I hack my bumpers down.

Awesome.. Good to hear on tires.. I need to save your number next time you text me lol.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Driveshaft will be fine with a thin even coat. If you cake it it could possibly cause an issue but I used to coat and paint them all the time and never had an issue, and all the trucks saw well over 120.

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
I need to do this to my truck this summer. Ive got several layers of rattle can paint on top of rust and is starting to bug me. I bought my truck in texas rust free and after one winter in kansas it was rusting pretty good.

Same thing I've been doing. :hug:

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Over the years I have used a few different products on off road bumpers and jeeps. I used rustoleum truck bed coating textured. Work really well and durable. I have tried the rubberized undercoating and that stuff is best if you throw it in the trash can. Have the truck bed coating on a custom teryx bumper I made and we have hit trees etc regularly and it still hasn't chipped.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Any tips as I'm doing my frame rails now. From the cab forward. Got 3' done in about 3 hours with a scraper and diesel lol

04.5 lly

Mar 15, 2015
6991369a8d71e113536579e7f76df2ad.jpg

This is what i used to paint my frame,its a bit pricey but a year later still looking good

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Any tips as I'm doing my frame rails now. From the cab forward. Got 3' done in about 3 hours with a scraper and diesel lol
I used a yard sprayer with diesel let it sit then pressure washed it off. Then I did the same thing but with oven cleaner. A pressure washer takes off quite a bit. If you don't have a pressure washer you need to try to source one.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
6991369a8d71e113536579e7f76df2ad.jpg

This is what i used to paint my frame,its a bit pricey but a year later still looking good
If this is the stuff I saw it brushes on, and it evens out then hardens like an epoxy. The stuff I'm thinking of you can take a hammer to it and it doesn't phase the stuff. Our local ppg industrial coatings shop has it. It's like 60 dollars for a gallon.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I just bought a can of air craft remover and it bubbles up and takes it down to bare metal with minimal use of a razor.

04.5 lly

Mar 15, 2015
If this is the stuff I saw it brushes on, and it evens out then hardens like an epoxy. The stuff I'm thinking of you can take a hammer to it and it doesn't phase the stuff. Our local ppg industrial coatings shop has it. It's like 60 dollars for a gallon.

Yep that sounds like it,the brand is KBC,i did mine over a year ago and still looks good