Factory frame coating removal

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Anyone have a good way to remove the factory under coating? It already peeled off a lot of it. I have tried using wire wheels and buffing wheels. Takes way to long and doesn't take it all the way down. Also tried a scaling tool it's good for knocking off loose rust but that's about the extent to it. My next step is sand blast but before I go that route I figure I would run it by you guys. It doesn't need to be down to bare metal but I would like to not have layers of paint higher than other parts. If that makes sense. I'm using a rust reformer and good spray coating when it's done. What are my options here?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I have found blasting does the nicest job.I used jet blast 30 60 media then a black epoxy.1457319362950.jpg

Attachments

• 1457319362950.jpg
    1457319362950.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 157

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I wish I had access to the stuff readily. I have an old portable I used to use on the bike frames. I may know someone with a better portable. Buddy mentioned using a heat gun and scraping it off. It's pretty tacky stuff.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I wish I had access to the stuff readily. I have an old portable I used to use on the bike frames. I may know someone with a better portable. Buddy mentioned using a heat gun and scraping it off. It's pretty tacky stuff.

I used a scraper first to get all the under coat or whatever that is off first before blasting.Found the rust comes off no prob but the undercoat is a biatch.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Pretty sure I read somewhere diesel fuel or wd-40 will take it off. Spray it on, let it soak, then scrape.
I know for a fact diesel fuel will because all the factory coating is gone around my secondary filter on the frame rail.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
The undercoat is the hardest part to get off. I read somewhere that dollar general oven cleaner will take about anything off. Not sure on undercoating though.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Pretty sure I read somewhere diesel fuel or wd-40 will take it off. Spray it on, let it soak, then scrape.
I know for a fact diesel fuel will because all the factory coating is gone around my secondary filter on the frame rail.
Any solvent will remove it BUT it turnes to slime and ends up everywhere you dont want it.best to scrape then wash or blast.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

Yep, Diesel fuel in a garden sprayer...;) pretty much makes it run off the frame...

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Hmmmm I got plenty of diesel and a garden sprayer. I'm going to try that first. I didn't think diesel was that potent.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Hmmmm I got plenty of diesel and a garden sprayer. I'm going to try that first. I didn't think diesel was that potent.

Its not potent but its chemical composition is such that it will break down the wax coating on our frames. Any petrochemicals probably will, but like other said it will turn to slime. I would scrape most of it off before using chemicals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
i used a dewalt cup wire wheel and i got it down to bare metal very easily. Don't buy harbor freight junk.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
It might not be so bad on older truck. That stuff does seem to dry out some. IDK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I wont have time this week I may get up early Friday and give it a try. That's the soonest I will be able to do anything.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm going through this now on my frame. First I painted the frame with diesel, then scraped it and got the bulk of it off. Then coated it with gasoline since that seemed to work better. The problem I was having would be it would just smear everywhere after it had been melted. So now I have the frame coated in oven cleaner and we will see how it turns out in the morning.

Biggest problem with mine is I have the frame plasti dipped so there was a shit load of rubber on the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I'm going through this now on my frame. First I painted the frame with diesel, then scraped it and got the bulk of it off. Then coated it with gasoline since that seemed to work better. The problem I was having would be it would just smear everywhere after it had been melted. So now I have the frame coated in oven cleaner and we will see how it turns out in the morning.

Biggest problem with mine is I have the frame plasti dipped so there was a shit load of rubber on the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep me informed on the oven cleaner.