Info: Engine Torque Specs

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Where can I find the torque specs for my LB7?
Also need to find the correct order to torque everything, like the main caps, flywheel bolts, and t/c bolts and so on.

Thanks for any info.:)

P.S.
A part no. for a service manual would sure be helpful for the next time I do something like this.
CD or book would work.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Thanks Guy, That helps a lot.:)
I don't suppose it matters, but any particular order to do them in?

Kevin

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Sounds like things are coming together :D

Well I thought so...I've been off for the last two days because of rain, but since I had a little trouble getting the bearings so I haven't got anything done. Now between Guy and Tony Burkhard we got that figured out. They are supposed to be here tomorrow, so I thought I was set.
Then I got a call tonight, and since it's supposed to rain again we are going to haul as much dirt as we can before it gets to wet tomorrow. So I don't know when I'm going to get back to it. Hopefully I can get the motor part done at night by the weekend, so all I have to do is set it in and put the core support back on. Boy when you just say it out loud it sounds so easy doesn't it.:D

I guess I don't understand the thinking behind this....we are hauling dirt to plug a culvert that goes under the tracks to drain piece of bottom ground, and busting our asses to do it BEFORE it's supposed to be raining for 3 or 4 days straight while they are talking about severe flooding from this rain???
Then again we spent last week filling a 150ft long 50ft wide and 8ft deep hole with base rock just so they could dig a ditch 8ft deep and 4ft wide all the way through it. I asked what they were going to do with rock they were digging out and the hoe operator said "It's trash, we're going to load it right back on you so you can haul it to the other side of the building and dump it with the dirt from this hole.":confused: Doesn't really matter to me I guess because they're paying contractors by the hour.:) I put 20 gal of fuel in the truck after a 13hr day Friday. That doesn't happen very often. I actually made some money for once.:D

Must be nice to have the kind of money that these companies waste sometimes.:(

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Service Information

2003 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Engine | Engine Mechanical - 6.6L | Repair Instructions - Off Vehicle | Document ID: 1736216
Cylinder Head Installation - Left Side
Tools Required

J 45059 Angle Meter

1. 1411025.gif

Notice: The left and right cylinder head gaskets are not interchangeable. Improper placement of the cylinder head gasket will block coolant and oil passages. Blocked coolant and oil passages will cause severe engine damage.
    Important: The stamped letter R or L, must face up. R is the right bank, L is the left bank.
    <LI type=1>Install the left cylinder head gasket of the correct grade. The left and right cylinder head gaskets are not interchangeable. Refer to Cylinder Head Gasket Selection .
    1336110.gif

<LI type=1>Install the left cylinder head.
    663831.gif

Notice: This component uses bolts with a preapplied molybdenum disulfide coating for thread lubrication. Do not remove the coating or use any additional lubricant. Improperly lubricated threads will adversely affect the bolt torque and clamp load. Improper bolt torque and clamp load can lead to engine damage.
    Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
    <LI type=1>Install the NEW M12 cylinder head bolts. Tighten the M12 cylinder head bolts in three steps:

Tighten
    1. <LI type=1>1st step 50 N·m (37 lb ft) <LI type=1>2nd step 80 N·m (59 lb ft) <LI type=1>3rd step tighten 60 degrees using J 45059
    2. 4th step tighten 60 degrees using J 45059
  2. Reuse the M8 bolts. Install the M8 bolts. Tighten
    Tighten the M8 cylinder head bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
gmLogoFlat.gif
Service Information

2003 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Engine | Engine Mechanical - 6.6L | Repair Instructions - Off Vehicle | Document ID: 1736220
Cylinder Head Installation - Right Side
Tools Required

J 45059 Angle Meter

1. 1411025.gif

Notice: The left and right cylinder head gaskets are not interchangeable. Improper placement of the cylinder head gasket will block coolant and oil passages. Blocked coolant and oil passages will cause severe engine damage.
    Important: The stamped letter R or L, must face up. R is the right bank, L is the left bank.
    <LI type=1>Install the right cylinder head gasket of the correct grade. The left and right cylinder head gaskets are not interchangeable. Refer to Cylinder Head Gasket Selection .
    1336113.gif

<LI type=1>Install the right cylinder head.
    663831.gif

Notice: This component uses bolts with a preapplied molybdenum disulfide coating for thread lubrication. Do not remove the coating or use any additional lubricant. Improperly lubricated threads will adversely affect the bolt torque and clamp load. Improper bolt torque and clamp load can lead to engine damage.
    Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
    <LI type=1>Install the NEW M12 cylinder head bolts. Reuse the M8 bolts. Tighten the M12 cylinder head bolts in three steps:

Tighten
    1. <LI type=1>1st step 50 N·m (37 lb ft) <LI type=1>2nd step 80 N·m (59 lb ft) <LI type=1>3rd step tighten 60 degrees using J 45059
    2. 4th step tighten 60 degrees using J 45059
  2. Install the M8 bolts. Tighten
    Tighten the M8 cylinder head bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
gmLogoFlat.gif
Service Information

2003 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Engine | Engine Mechanical - 6.6L | Repair Instructions - Off Vehicle | Document ID: 667357
Engine Flywheel Installation (Automatic Transmission)
Tools Required

J 44643 Flywheel Hold Tool
J 36660-A Torque/Angle Meter​

1. 660311.gif

<LI type=1>Install the flywheel to the crankshaft. <LI type=1>Install the flywheel washer to the flywheel with the beveled side facing the engine. Notice: This component uses bolts with a preapplied molybdenum disulfide coating for thread lubrication. Do not remove the coating or use any additional lubricant. Improperly lubricated threads will adversely affect the bolt torque and clamp load. Improper bolt torque and clamp load can lead to engine damage.
    <LI type=1>Install NEW flywheel bolts.
    660308.gif

<LI type=1>Install the J 44643 to lock the flywheel.
    663928.gif

2. Tighten the flywheel bolts in the proper sequence.
    Tighten
    • 1st step 79 N·m (59 lb ft).
    • 2nd step 60 degrees using J 36660-A .
    • 3rd step 60 degrees using J 36660-A .​
© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
gmLogoFlat.gif
Service Information

2003 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Engine | Engine Mechanical - 6.6L | Repair Instructions - Off Vehicle | Document ID: 884059
Crankshaft and Bearing Installation
Tools Required

J 36660-A Torque/Angle Meter

1. 663789.gif

<LI type=1>Install the upper crankshaft bearings into the cylinder block. The bearing halves to be inserted into the crankshaft main bearing saddle have a wide groove and oil hole in the center of the bearing (1). <LI type=1>Install the lower crankshaft bearings into the crankshaft bearing caps. The bearing halves to be inserted into the crankshaft main bearing caps do NOT have an oil hole or groove in the bearing (2).
    663800.gif

<LI type=1>Install the upper thrust bearings to the cylinder block. There are two thrust bearings (1 and 3) in the cylinder block and one lower thrust bearing in the No. 5 crankshaft bearing cap (2). <LI type=1>Lubricate the crankshaft bearing surfaces with engine oil. <LI type=1>Install the crankshaft into the cylinder block. <LI type=1>Install the No. 5 crankshaft bearing cap with the lower thrust bearing (2).
    663793.gif

<LI type=1>Install the remaining four crankshaft bearing caps.
    1704773.gif

Important: There are two different length crankshaft bearing cap bolts in production depending on the counter bore of the threaded hole/block. Using the wrong bolt may lead to improper thread engagement, bottoming out or improper clamp load. Look at the bolt head surface to determine which bolt was used in production. The bolt head will have either a raised circle (1) or it will be unmarked (2). Replace the bolt with the same type.
    <LI type=1>Install the NEW crankshaft bearing cap bolts. <LI type=1>Tighten the crankshaft bearing cap bolts in the proper sequence.
    Tighten
    • 1st step 98 N·m (72 lb ft).
    • 2nd step 132 N·m (97 lb ft).
    • 3rd step 30 degrees using J 36660-A .​

663798.gif

<LI type=1>Clean the crankshaft bearing side cap bolt threads, sealing flange and mounting holes with GM P/N 12377981 (Canadian P/N 10953463) or equivalent. Dry the bolts and mounting holes with compressed air. <LI type=1>Apply GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480) to the threads and sealing flange of the bolts. <LI type=1>Install the ten bolts. Tighten
    Tighten the crankshaft bearing cap side bolts to 78 N·m (58 lb ft).

881732.gif

2. Install the oil pressure sensor. Tighten
    Tighten the oil pressure sensor to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
gmLogoFlat.gif
Service Information

2003 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Engine | Engine Mechanical - 6.6L | Repair Instructions - Off Vehicle | Document ID: 884055
Engine Prelubing
Tools Required

J 45299 Engine Preluber

1. 881739.gif

Important: A constant/continuous flow of clean engine oil is required to properly prime the engine. Be sure to use an approved engine oil as specified in the owners manual.
    <LI type=1>Remove the engine oil filter, fill with clean engine oil, and reinstall. Tighten
    Tighten the oil filter to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).
    <LI type=1>Remove the oil pressure sensor (1). <LI type=1>Install the M16 x 1.5 adapter P/N 509375.
    863255.gif

<LI type=1>Install the flexible hose to the adapter and open the valve. <LI type=1>Pump the handle on J 45299 to flow a minimum of 1-2 quarts of engine oil. Observe the flow of engine oil through the flexible hose and into the engine assembly. <LI type=1>Close the valve and remove the flexible hose and adapter from the engine. <LI type=1>Install the oil pressure sensor. Tighten
    Tighten the oil pressure sensor to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
  2. Top-off the engine oil to the proper level.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Ok my next question.:D Can someone tell me how to tell which bearing goes with what letter on the rods by the part no. on the box of the bearings?

I've got part numbers...

8-97250-410-1
8-97250-338-1

So which is "A" and which is "B"?
I got lucky and the mains are all the same with the other crank, just assumed on the rods that there would be a letter in the part no. on the box.:D

Last edited: