Empire Diesel Superchager kit

blackdmax15

Saving it to spend it
Sep 9, 2009
Beaufort, Sc
Hey mike thanks for all the info. These are all things i've been interested in but posting on duramaxforum never netted any results haha. Gasout your truck is so sick man. Mike were you at diesel drags last weekend? Wanted to go but stuff came up. I'm down in kingsville, TX.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
No, I didn't make it. We had a family re-union in Brady. We'll be out at that same track 14th and 15th of this month. If you are up this way, give us a shout. We will be doing the supercharged thing there. We want to run just the turbo and then the turbo and supercharger. Then maybe next test will be a compound turbo thing just to get some better and worse information. We just stay up in the air regarding these superchargers and want to know what is what. Not sure exactly how we can pull off the info accurately but we gotta try. Seems I've been biased towards the supercharger so long I've lost touch. Anyway, hope to see you there.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I'm sorry, I don't offer a kit to take pictures of. I'll tell you why. I thought I had some pictures on here somewhere one of my installed setups.

My first supercharger was grossly oversize for my engine. I was so excited to get it running and overwhelmed with response but couldn't offer a kit. I had a bad feeling about the setup. For due reason. The intake temperature at idle even, was tremendous, I had a hard time holding my hand on the tube between the supercharger and turbo. I had problems over a short time keeping the shear pin in shape and also the darn bolt through the center from breaking. I'll mention as part of this some of the failure and success helping Mick. Not to say he didn't help me as well but just saying tons of trouble and battle after battle. Then the second supercharger was a closer match but found the lbs/min and boost right for idle and cruising put me back in the lag arena. With this second charger, gear ration vs our very low operating range in comparison to what these chargers are designed to be driven. Double in most cases our rpm. As you may know, relating to superchargers, the larger the compressor wheel the harder efficient air is at lower engine rpm. Meaning surge. So on to the third charger. I then chose a small vortech and borrowed a small procharger. With the two chargers and their two unique internal gear ratios I was able to realize great low end performance from the procharger and even better upper end performance with the vortech. ( due to the crankshaft pulley diameter of 12" I had at the time ) 10" as of now. So now for the next superchargers, the Procharger F2 and the F1a. Very noisy and required a considerable amount of torque at idle. Adjusted the fueling for stable idle but found not to work. After doing some checking ( and by chance ) found these two to be in surge at idle. Wow, changed drive pulleys to the largest possible to slow it down and still had some surge. Although it was nice to hear a lope, it was not good on the charger. We decide to drill holes in the boost pipe to the turbocharger. Ended up with 4 - 1" holes to keep the engine smooth. Not much boost was being build ( hardly any ) but once the engine rpm increased, watching the gauge bounce was not fun particularly when the engine felt it was trying to exit the engine bay ( this did not happen once holes were drilled ). One note was with the holes, we built more boost. That is because we moved into the supercharger compressor map and started moving more air in a more efficient range along with climb into the pressure ratio. Anyway, you can see my frustrations so far and the list goes on.

You can see my interest in the kit that has been released. I've done searches and been on the site and can't find any specific information. I've had first hand experience with part of builds including F-1, F-1A,F-1R and the F-2 superchargers in front of theGT42, GT45, A5K, A4K and so on and I've also driven or have been part of building experiences with many other chargers and the dmax. P-1SC, D-1SC, Vortech V4-xx and V4-z and so on. No matter the configuration, turbo before the supercharger turbo after the supercharger, supercharger on its own and compound superchargers I haven't tried it all and want to see more information. At the end of all this, compound superchargers gave the best instant response for us. Problem is, sucked for making huge power. Gave up quick and didn't make near enough boost to reach high power levels. So, a high pressure ratio supercharger is a must to even start competing with the turbocharger.

Last edited:

blackdmax15

Saving it to spend it
Sep 9, 2009
Beaufort, Sc
So Mike you pretty have no idea what's going on huh:rofl: Just playing man nice to see someone actually researching this. The different configurations you have used is pretty mind blowing. I think the Empire kit is using the F-1c and stock turbo. Would like to hear more from Empire about their setup if at all possible.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
So Mike you pretty have no idea what's going on huh:rofl: Just playing man nice to see someone actually researching this. The different configurations you have used is pretty mind blowing. I think the Empire kit is using the F-1c and stock turbo. Would like to hear more from Empire about their setup if at all possible.

You are right, even after being involved with all that has been mentioned and more, I have no idea what is best. I can tell you want not to use :D. I too am anxious to hear about EDP's offerings. I've tried several times to ask questions and get conversation going. Unsuccessful every time. I hope this one is an exception.

Not to say these folks are keeping secrets or unsure, just saying it's time to talk and get the interest going for those these superchargers will benefit. To put my objective in prospective, if we were talking turbochargers, we could say this works best for this because and have specifics to back it up.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Sorry guys not trying to be vague..... was not on purpose. I dont seem to have time get on the forums much these days. As for what head unit we are using on the level 1 kit we are using the D1SC. We have found this to be the best blower for the stock VVT Chargers. We have trucks with all kinds of different combo's out there running right now and all kinds of different types of builds and hp gains. Georgia Diesel is running from last I heard a F1R with a 42 Mag. Our Drag truck was running a F1R and GT45. If we bring the truck back out it will have a F2 and a custom 94mm turbo. There is currently a few trucks stacked up outside the shop with different setups waiting to be installed. The HP gains are all dependint on the turbo size choice and how much fuel your going to push. Drag truck at the time was running Dynomite 28LPH dual stage 3 wicked pumps and within the 100' mark she would clean up a 2800-2900 pulse width tune. Truck was in need of more fuel to match the air. I drive a 08 LMM with the Level 1 kit and absolutley love it. We use this truck everyday for all kinds of situations. Original plan was to meet up with Duramaxtuner and do some dyno pulls yesterday but had some trans issues. Got issues resolved today but a day late and Nicks out of the country for the remainder of the month.....
If you guys want to see under the hood in person we will have the truck on display at truck fest first part of Aug and also at scheids at the end of aug. If you see us or see the truck anywhere (all blacked LMM with knight chrome wheels sportin BFG AT tires, to hesitate to ask for a ride or ask to see under the hood.
Otherwise if you guys have any more questions and I dont get back on here to answer them all for ya feel free to shoot me an email

By the way there is a motor fabed up as we speek with a F3 hanging out front getting ready to head to an engine dyno:thumb::thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Forestdale. Brisbane.Australia
Sorry guys not trying to be vague..... was not on purpose. I dont seem to have time get on the forums much these days. As for what head unit we are using on the level 1 kit we are using the D1SC. We have found this to be the best blower for the stock VVT Chargers. We have trucks with all kinds of different combo's out there running right now and all kinds of different types of builds and hp gains. Georgia Diesel is running from last I heard a F1R with a 42 Mag. Our Drag truck was running a F1R and GT45. If we bring the truck back out it will have a F2 and a custom 94mm turbo. There is currently a few trucks stacked up outside the shop with different setups waiting to be installed. The HP gains are all dependint on the turbo size choice and how much fuel your going to push. Drag truck at the time was running Dynomite 28LPH dual stage 3 wicked pumps and within the 100' mark she would clean up a 2800-2900 pulse width tune. Truck was in need of more fuel to match the air. I drive a 08 LMM with the Level 1 kit and absolutley love it. We use this truck everyday for all kinds of situations. Original plan was to meet up with Duramaxtuner and do some dyno pulls yesterday but had some trans issues. Got issues resolved today but a day late and Nicks out of the country for the remainder of the month.....
If you guys want to see under the hood in person we will have the truck on display at truck fest first part of Aug and also at scheids at the end of aug. If you see us or see the truck anywhere (all blacked LMM with knight chrome wheels sportin BFG AT tires, to hesitate to ask for a ride or ask to see under the hood.
Otherwise if you guys have any more questions and I dont get back on here to answer them all for ya feel free to shoot me an email

By the way there is a motor fabed up as we speek with a F3 hanging out front getting ready to head to an engine dyno:thumb::thumb:

Thats what I have these days Chad - F3-139 (hanging out the front)

Last edited:

deHuncho

Jun 18, 2009
SW Va.
That, is simply bad ass. That would be my next choice if the supercharged Duramax didn't work. Looks awesome:thumb:

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
damn sexy Mick...... We had a F3 on display at truck fest this past weekend ad talk about attention getter. The F1R along side it never got noticed....... I ll post up our F3 mount here in the next few weeks or so after she gets down the track until then shes.....:secret:

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Forestdale. Brisbane.Australia
I have a project started at the moment that is a bit like that Chad. Cant say much at the moment either but prelim testing shows a whole new picture about getting air into the duramax :thumb: