drop shackle questions

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
So I installed some drop shackles in the rig last night. Not totally happy with how it sits. Its not quite as low as I feel it should be. I do have air bags and they have 5 PSI in them so maybe thats why, but I have about 8 inches between my tires and wheel well. I'm also wondering what harm is running the shackle bolts the way I have in the picture? I'm assuming the factory installs them the other way so they cannot fall out. would they ever come loose and fall out? I cannot get them in without dropping the leafs all of the way down so I installed them backwards. I have the shackles in the hole that measures 7.5 inches CTC of the bolt holes. Factory was 4.5, so I assume that is the "3 inch drop" setting?

IMG_20151120_151613825_zpsbfdteiez.jpg

IMG_20151120_150536505_zpsxnmrzh26.jpg

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
If you were to take out the air Im willing to bet you would be squashing them on the bumps. But like mentioned above, the top whole would make it lower.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
No I mean in the top picture you have it opposite of how it should be if you want it lower. My bolts are in the very top hole.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Ah OK. For the record, depending on airbag size and mounting plate size you might just have to get outboard mounted bags.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Thats the issue. I'm already compressing the bags unloaded, so I probably shouldn't go Any lower at the moment. Is 8 inches between tire and wheel well average for 3 inch shackles?

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
If the Nut on the end of the bolt is loose, the nut will come off.. The bolt may not fall out, I loosened one of my bolts when i had it lowered on my LB7 and the nut fell off. But the bolt never came out.. I cut my factory bolts so I would'nt have to remove my tow package and just used different bolts... But like all others said, top hole makes it lower..

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
If the Nut on the end of the bolt is loose, the nut will come off.. The bolt may not fall out, I loosened one of my bolts when i had it lowered on my LB7 and the nut fell off. But the bolt never came out.. I cut my factory bolts so I would'nt have to remove my tow package and just used different bolts... But like all others said, top hole makes it lower..

So, would it be wise to take it back apart and flip the bolt?

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
No, you will be fine

Like stated nope you are good to go.. My bolts were the same way, the shackle itself was the other way around, Flat looking towards the bumper.. But I dont think that matters either. I like to put things back together like they came off,the stock ones had the flat-end out.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Those look like ebay Crown drop shackles, I just recently installed a pair with the flat part to the front so they would not fill with water/dirt/mud had you installed them with the flat spot to the back. I also cut the end of the bolt like you did to adjust if the first hole was not enough.

I installed mine in the first hole to see where I was going to be as I was unsure how low they would actually lower the truck and have no airbags. I lowered the truck enough in the back for me

You have a twin truck brother...
=
No shackles in this picture.
=
=
2heep1u.jpg

=
=
=

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
No, you will be fine

great, thanks. I will keep an eye on them.
Those look like ebay Crown drop shackles, I just recently installed a pair with the flat part to the front so they would not fill with water/dirt/mud had you installed them with the flat spot to the back. I also cut the end of the bolt like you did to adjust if the first hole was not enough.

I installed mine in the first hole to see where I was going to be as I was unsure how low they would actually lower the truck and have no airbags. I lowered the truck enough in the back for me

You have a twin truck brother...
=
No shackles in this picture.
=
=

=
=
=

look at that. is yours also the "cashmere" or sandstone? yes they are ebay shackles. they are actually surprising quality. good welds. so is yours set on the 2 inch drop setting? I'm still wondering how that works. do they go off 3 inch drop being how much the truck drops? or how much longer the shackle is?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
great, thanks. I will keep an eye on them.

look at that. is yours also the "cashmere" or sandstone? yes they are ebay shackles. they are actually surprising quality. good welds. so is yours set on the 2 inch drop setting? I'm still wondering how that works. do they go off 3 inch drop being how much the truck drops? or how much longer the shackle is?

Don't recall the color code or name...

I installed mine in the first hole, that don't sound right but oh well. I never measured before I installed mine and it sits where I need it and have yet to trim the bump stops...
=
=
IMG_20151120_151613825_zpsbfdteiez.jpg

=
=
=
And a modification to the modification, going to drill and tap the leaf springs when I replace the bushings....
=
=
w6qnnr.jpg

=
=
=
=
=
=

Last edited: