LBZ: Drop-in Replacement

pmason92

Dec 2, 2012
Madera, CA
Looking to upgrade my turbo, will be going twins in future, but right now I'm running stock fuel and stock tranny(until it limps). I'm wanting to get a larger turbo though for future setup. I've been trying to look at just drop in replacements, no big changes needed in other words. Anyone have some recommendations? Or would a batmowheel be just fine? By the way, nothing is wrong with my stock turbo.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
depends on use. i wanted the stage 2r 68 as well and was dead set on it . I spoke with mark and went with the 3794a stage 2 from him for a few reasons. it would get me similar results but not quite as much power , slightly quicker spool being a 65mm vs 68mm. lower egt's while towing which is not often for me at all maybe a few times a year. So far i love it , turbo brake is better than stock by far . sound is awesome . Not a huge difference from stock but there is a noticable gain. I have a dsp5 , built trans , goerend converter and fass 150 with down pipe , egr block, and 5 turbo back no cat. These are all prequisites in alot of peoples opinions including my own. My one thing that deterred me from the stage 2r was it will push the limits of the stock lbz , yes others have blown them with just a tune but this turbo mark and i decieded would be best suited for keeping the stock engine alive longer.

I plan on 30-45% over sticks when money permits to lower timing and keep the engine happy. Get a game plan (power level, et or what ever and budget and stick to it ) if you plan to twin it , then plan on building a trans and engine come time. If thats not in your budget then play it as safe as possible.

pmason92

Dec 2, 2012
Madera, CA
depends on use. i wanted the stage 2r 68 as well and was dead set on it . I spoke with mark and went with the 3794a stage 2 from him for a few reasons. it would get me similar results but not quite as much power , slightly quicker spool being a 65mm vs 68mm. lower egt's while towing which is not often for me at all maybe a few times a year. So far i love it , turbo brake is better than stock by far . sound is awesome . Not a huge difference from stock but there is a noticable gain. I have a dsp5 , built trans , goerend converter and fass 150 with down pipe , egr block, and 5 turbo back no cat. These are all prequisites in alot of peoples opinions including my own. My one thing that deterred me from the stage 2r was it will push the limits of the stock lbz , yes others have blown them with just a tune but this turbo mark and i decieded would be best suited for keeping the stock engine alive longer.

I plan on 30-45% over sticks when money permits to lower timing and keep the engine happy. Get a game plan (power level, et or what ever and budget and stick to it ) if you plan to twin it , then plan on building a trans and engine come time. If thats not in your budget then play it as safe as possible.

Right now, I'm looking to keeping the engine stock for as long as possible. If it blows, budget isn't a problem for rebuilding. I'll cross that bridge when it comes, same with the transmission. But this truck will be driven mostly be a daily driver until another one comes along for right price, then it's going to be torn down and built. So basically what I'm looking for is under the $2500 price limit, a good streetable turbo that in the future will be a good turbo to pair in a compound setup. I've looked at the 3794a's just because of the drop in factor, and that's really what I'm looking for. I don't really feel like replumbing everything over a single turbo setup when the truck doesn't have a built trans or engine yet.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
then your two best are just that imho the 3794 stag 2 or 68 mm stage 2. both fit your budget and both will most definatly require a built trans within a week . the truck will be so much fun from where its at now youll blow the trans quick so imo get that done then do the turbo or if your doing the turbo yourself and sending the trans out . pull the trans and do the turbo when its out , lots easier that way.

towing was my choice of the 3794, it wont see the higher egt's the 68 will but it can tow. i dont even tow alot but when i do its still under 10k lbs but it is for near 300 miles or so and usually around 7500 lbs.

Your best bet is to talk to mark and let him make your head explode. if you live near him or even a a drive that you could fathom making , do it . if i didnt live on the other side of the milky way i would have gone to him and do his cylinder pressure tune , that alone will help your motor live.

my budget didnt have room for a built d max as well so i played it safe, i do kind of wish id done the 68mm but im very content with the 3794 and have a stock lbz turbo i may send out to get made into something similar to see what it is like but for now im going to keep on trucking.

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
I would definitely go with the BMW 3794 from Mark. Especially of your looking to keep the engine stock. That charger will support enough hp to melt it down. Spools close to stock, lower drive pressure than the 68 or 72 and the turbo brake in the tuning is very close to stock. A guy I know has one on his lly and tows a lot with it. Needless to say he is in love lol

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I liked the 3794 but didn't like the low boost code my lmm threw. You lbz guys have it made lol. The 3794 is a cheaper turbo but it sounds good and is an upgrade over stock for sure.:thumb:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
If you're planning on twinning down the road I'd modify your stock charger. That way you'll get really quick spooling from valley charger and power of the large atmospheric turbo.

Yellowchevy

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
For towing... Another hotshot guy on a different forum runs a 3794 on his LMM. Grossing 36,000lbs as well. And on stock transmission for a while now.. Just recently replaced the TC with a billet single disc.. He seams to like it alot..

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The big question is if you want to use this turbo in your twin setup how much power do you want to make when you have twins? That will tell you how big you need now.