Downpipe Only

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
Look at it this way,your gonna rent the down pipe for about 30 bucks because it will be super easy to sell when your done with it,maybe not even that a magnaflow down pipe is only 112 plus shipping.Get the down pipe and throw it in.

I just didn't want to do all that work on this truck just to remove the turbo a couple months later like I did on my zf truck, I haven't decided if I'm doing another billet s400 or twins, either way the vvt is going!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
On Corey's truck we tried taking the exhaust off to make lighter and have less back pressure.We installed the flange and 90 for about a foot and then put a 90 turn down on it.It lost performance and sounded like Shit.He imeaditaly turned around and came back and we reinstalled the full exhaust and the truck hauled ass again.It shouldn't have slowed the truck down but it sure did.
This happened to me on an 02 lb7. I put a big exhaust on and lost 3 mph off my 1/4 mile trap. I put the stock front pipe back on and ran the 4" muffler and tailpipe and power went back to where it was. I came on the forums trying to get input and got called all kinds of dumb sob's. No one believed it.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
hmmm, wonder who did that!?! :roflmao: btw, she showed up today! thanks again scott. ill owe ya my friend
No problem James :hug:

This happened to me on an 02 lb7. I put a big exhaust on and lost 3 mph off my 1/4 mile trap. I put the stock front pipe back on and ran the 4" muffler and tailpipe and power went back to where it was. I came on the forums trying to get input and got called all kinds of dumb sob's. No one believed it.
Yeah its the weirdest thing the truck was noticably slower you wouldnt think back pressure would make a difference with the turbo and it still had the down pipe and 2 90s on it,makes me wonder if a stack truck is a bit slower after the install from full exhaust to a stack???

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
No problem James :hug:

Yeah its the weirdest thing the truck was noticably slower you wouldnt think back pressure would make a difference with the turbo and it still had the down pipe and 2 90s on it,makes me wonder if a stack truck is a bit slower after the install from full exhaust to a stack???
Think about it the larger the downpipe the slower the exhaust velocity is leaving the turbo. I think there is a sweet spot for every setup, 3" may give too much back preasure on a 400 HP truck 3 1/2" may be perfect and 4" may slow exhaust down too much for 400? It would be interesting to see someone test this on a dyno.