Downpipe Only

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
Not sure where to put this really, but I saw that a member on here was running an open downpipe and no exhaust. My truck feels like it has no balls and it's so quiet. I should be purchasing a new exhaust in the next week or two, but wondered how it would do until then. I will be getting a 5" exhaust, efi, egr blocked, pcv reroute, and lift pump(tired of priming).

I wasn't sure how bad the exhaust smelled up the cab or how crappy it would sound.

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
It sucks with just a down pipe and you will get a good smell of the exhaust in the cab I would just wait for the exhaust to come in if I were you... Had mine like that for I day at a pull and I still every once and a while when I turn the heater on get a small smell of it

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
On Corey's truck we tried taking the exhaust off to make lighter and have less back pressure.We installed the flange and 90 for about a foot and then put a 90 turn down on it.It lost performance and sounded like Shit.He imeaditaly turned around and came back and we reinstalled the full exhaust and the truck hauled ass again.It shouldn't have slowed the truck down but it sure did.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
i have a good size hole in my downpipe and it is loud as fawk. No way i would ever run open downpipe.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Like everyone is saying it is gonna be loud and not good sounding at all! I hated life the day I didnt have exhaust ran on my truck from how crappy it sounded!

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
i never said it didnt sound good :D

i love the sound, it makes my turbo sound retarded loud and like helicopter blades

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Just installed my DP on my stock turbo :cussing:

NEVER AGAIN!!!

I will say it sounds better then a stock 6.4 stroke with exhaust, Hairdryer!!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
See the problem here is, you guys dont have a second turbo to make it sound good :angel:

i ran just a down pipe off my second turbo for about a month. had a nice rumble to it but a second turbo really quites it down. never did get any smell though

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I ran mine with the billet 66 for about 2 weeks before I could get exhaust made.....turbo was ear shattering when passing by concrete barriers....like real bad.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I will just wait then, I just don't want to put in a 3" dp because I don't want to keep the stock turbo so that would be wasted time/money there, already went through that haha
Look at it this way,your gonna rent the down pipe for about 30 bucks because it will be super easy to sell when your done with it,maybe not even that a magnaflow down pipe is only 112 plus shipping.Get the down pipe and throw it in.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
shit, brian and i fought with mine for about 4 hours. if it wasnt the down pipe bolts, it was the tight clearance between the motor and firewall to get it out! shoulda just cut the damn thing in half

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
shit, brian and i fought with mine for about 4 hours. if it wasnt the down pipe bolts, it was the tight clearance between the motor and firewall to get it out! shoulda just cut the damn thing in half
That would be cheating :D

Thats like cutting an uppipe because you cant get it out:spit: