Do a good deed with your computer.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Stanford University Medical School is researching the construction of the proteins in our bodies. Proteins are the real force behind life as we know it. IIRC, they work because they "fold" into different configurations when acted on by other molecules or forces.

To analyze these proteins, they would need several $$$$ supercomputers they don't have. So instead, they have enlisted the help of computer users all over the world to hook up to their mainframe and act as little worker bees. Each donor computer is given a protein problem to solve, and when you aren't using your computer's full power, it solves the problem with your unused CPU time. It's called Distributed Computing, and it gives the scientists access to one of the most powerful computer systems in the world.

To participate, go to http://folding.stanford.edu/ and do a little reading and download the "client" software if you choose, it works on Windows PC's, Mac OS X, and 64-bit Linux and even the Sony Playstation 3 (PS3, it's called "Life with Playstation"), and if you like, sign up with team:

Team #: 195247
Team Name: DuramaxDiesels

It runs in the background, and you don't even know it's there, except the PS3, which will only run when you tell it to, and won't run while playing games.

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
I run this on my 2nd computer 24/7. I run Seti at home and folding, I notice a decent change in my electric bill since my CPU is running 100% utilization all the time.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Thanks out to John_M :hug:

The power consumption is something to consider. I'm trying to run as "green" as I can. Our PS3 consumes about 90w, but some modern computers will consume a lot more than that. If the computer is indoors in an air conditioned room, the power usage is over doubled because the heat must be removed with the A/C. Now if you pay to heat your home in the winter, it's actually a bonus since the power goes towards heating the house.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Awesome, Ill jump on board here.

I have been folding @ home with my PS3 and my PC for quite some time now.

:thumb:

for those concerned about a PC or PS3, the power consumption isnt really too big of a deal. If you are running a pretty good machine or multiple you may see a dent in electric, but I have not seen much from my devices...just something to think about.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I'm at 23% today...it quits when the comp sleeps...I was hoping it would run all night

I have certain Windows machines that I can't allow to "sleep" (machine controllers) so I:

Right Click COMPUTER.

Click PROPERTIES

Click Performance Info and Tools

Click Power Settings

Select High Performance, or
Machine Sleep = Never
Monitor Sleep = 20 minutes.

This can also be found under Control Panel > Power Settings.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
FYI: Laptop people may want to configure not to run while on battery....It will eat a battery pretty quick. This mode will automatically stop your project when you unplug so you dont forget.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Awesome, Ill jump on board here.

I have been folding @ home with my PS3 and my PC for quite some time now.

:thumb:

for those concerned about a PC or PS3, the power consumption isnt really too big of a deal. If you are running a pretty good machine or multiple you may see a dent in electric, but I have not seen much from my devices...just something to think about.
I wish we didn't have to worry about the power bill. The stupid electric company here has various "tiers" and once you use so much power, the rate goes up for the remaining kilowatts. Last summer, we payed over $0.50/kWh! Freaking PG&E...

The only computer that is on 24/7 here is my server. It doesn't use much power at idle, but when I'm using all the CPU cores and CUDA (GPU as a processor), I've seen over 650W power consumption. Which, sickeningly, can cost almost $8 a day during the summer. I'm (hopefully) moving soon, and if power is cheaper, I'll put BOINC back on the server.

Back when I was in school, all my machines ran BOINC 24/7. But power was free! Those suckers...

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I wish we didn't have to worry about the power bill. The stupid electric company here has various "tiers" and once you use so much power, the rate goes up for the remaining kilowatts. Last summer, we payed over $0.50/kWh! Freaking PG&E...

The only computer that is on 24/7 here is my server. It doesn't use much power at idle, but when I'm using all the CPU cores and CUDA (GPU as a processor), I've seen over 650W power consumption. Which, sickeningly, can cost almost $8 a day during the summer. I'm (hopefully) moving soon, and if power is cheaper, I'll put BOINC back on the server.

Back when I was in school, all my machines ran BOINC 24/7. But power was free! Those suckers...

Lol, I was thinking more of the general guys concerned about running on a basic PC/laptop at home...:D

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Lol, I was thinking more of the general guys concerned about running on a basic PC/laptop at home...:D
I'm always the bad example, lol!

Yeah, normal PCs and laptops don't use much power at all. I've got a giant 17" laptop, and the most I've ever seen it use is 50 watts. That's a much more sane amount of power. Probably wouldn't notice it on your bill.

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
I will have to change my settings TY...running with the folding app on it uses approx. 30W contant...and around 0.01 cubic ft. CO2 in a minute

found this out from joulemeter from microsoft its pretty cool

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Ah ok. I think it was at 35% or so at 4:30 so it will probably finish later today. I'll just let it run 24/7 unless I need it for testing something. It was working on something Alzheimer's from what the log was saying. Could be something I'll need in the future. :D

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Thanks out to John_M :hug:

The power consumption is something to consider. I'm trying to run as "green" as I can. Our PS3 consumes about 90w, but some modern computers will consume a lot more than that. If the computer is indoors in an air conditioned room, the power usage is over doubled because the heat must be removed with the A/C. Now if you pay to heat your home in the winter, it's actually a bonus since the power goes towards heating the house.

Thats me lol.....yeah i ran it for about 10 hours on my Alienware M15x laptop......thing barely would go over 25-30% cpu...

I think I left it running at home today too.