Dip your truck WHAT!!!!!

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Long tubes are worth the money, shorties are no better than manifolds...

Kooks has a split the difference approach, I've been running a set for over a year and love them...

I tend to agree....I installed edelbrock shorties back in the day on my 2000 5.3 1/2 ton and didn't notice much of a gain. If your manifolds aren't shot and leaking I'm not sure if its worth the coin. What else are you planning in terms of exhaust? When i installed the LT's I had planned on removing the cats and running only some sort of highflow mufflers. I think the cats on those trucks are pretty damn restrictive. I had the Lt's through the cats and just had some local exhaust shop run some exhaust through some bullet mufflers.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I agree the shortys lose the low end power but the big block should have plenty of that. The shortys or whatever will gain on the top end. The factory manifolds are total shit just like rest of the motor. The factory cats are pretty good. But if they burn the oil like most of them do then the cats could be full of crap. I will check them out. Plan on is headers back exhaust all new. Then go from there. It seams like a dog to me. But I'm just trying to figure out which route to take first.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
the 01 02 trucks still had frame mounted fuel filters under the driver door I believe. Have you changed it?

Yep fixing to change it. Forgot to mention it needs plugs bad also. After sitting for 8 months it ran like shit for 20 minutes. Cylinder 7 had 1800 misfires. And others had many also. But it's clearing up. I'll change the fuel filter and plugs Friday.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Well wife loves the truck and took it over lol. Friday night and she wanted to clean on it lol. But that means I get my lbz back haha. It's been a fun project. Still want to hit rod it though. She's all in. Update is got a lot of new parts coming. All new pullys for the whole serpentine system and some kryptonite tie rods probably overkill. But it's been fun. And a lot more fun to come. Decided it needs cam and exhaust pronto.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Also tune needs to happen. I've been wanting efi live so I may just play with it and see what happens. Here's some pics

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Shoot i was float Craigslist found couple 01-04 2500 suburban 4x4 with 8.1s and claiming to have Allison's behind them..

Truck looks nice:thumb:

Must be special ones lol. Some people think they have the allisons but they didn't come with them. 4l85s I believe. Wasn't enough tunnel room for the allisons.

Thanks

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I'm curious how the truck is running if you have changed the fuel filter and plugs....its been 11 or so years but I don't remember my 8.1's feeling like dogs at all.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I put plugs and fuel filter in. Also cleaned up kn air filter. It had ngk plugs in it. Those 3 things definitely helped out some. I still have a feeling I'm dealing with a plugged up cat. Next chance I'm going to have a look at them. Or the o2 sensor is getting slow on bank 2.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I've read both ways lol. On the cats. So finally got around to wrking on this around the rains in dallas area. Figured out the miss. Some idiot forgotten to tighten bank one plugs :roflmao:

I was teaching by 13 year how to change tie rods on the other truck and was to busy watching what he was doing instead of concentrating on what I was doing lol. Anyways running great now. O2 sensors look good now. Got some kryptonite tie rods on. Damn these are impressive. Also left hub was worse I've ever seen. Should have caught that sooner. All new pullys on serptine changed out. No more noise from that. Runs and rides great now. Race still coming soon. Havnt had a dry day in a week or two around here. Also new head and tail lights.

Things left is exhaust, spraying the roof and bed. And what ever else I find wore out.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
e400dada7be210b46f0ddbcbb6ea8f4b.jpg

12900a351cdc65c79915e9893fb61a83.png

99367fe3b7e7715aad75e7e052a9db35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Thanks. It has been a fun project. Plan on calling raylar tomorrow and seeing there stats on shortys vs long tube. Also ordering the 203 cam swap on stock motor. We'll see. It's been shity weather for dallas.

Interested in what they say...It's been raining there for like 2 weeks now, crazy weather weather for you guys. And the avatar has only offended like one or 2 people on here lol

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Interested in what they say...It's been raining there for like 2 weeks now, crazy weather weather for you guys. And the avatar has only offended like one or 2 people on here lol

Lol. It hasn't offended me by all means. Makes me want to ............

I'll let you know what they say.

Plus weather has been crazy here