Deleting the factory fuel filter?

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
Just put a loop in it to bypass the filter. Have airdog so the 3 micro should be good enough. What benefits will I see racing? More flow, quicker recovery?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
just did it to mine a few weeks ago and cant say i notice much difference other than i dont have to worry about leaks or second filter.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Any chance someone has a picture or DIY for dummies instructions on how to get rid of the stock fuel filter and bypass the FICM at the same time? Thanks!

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
I haven't deleted the filter just bypassed for now to see how it worked. What pid's do I need to turn off? And sofar the only thing I e noticed is my frp up 2k on start up. 5 to 7? I tow a Trailor everyday so I won't see any result until the weekend.

marcusrushing90

Mike L wants my body
Nov 26, 2010
With Mike L and his wife
I did it with the left over hose from air dog install. Just looped it the hose with two hose clamps. You remove everything fuel filter housing and all. Those plugs..i just left mine hanging. No benefits to me except for having two 2micron filters instead of one 4micron or whatever it is. There is a detailed write up on another forum.

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
And codes come up that I need to get rid of with Efi? The delete is easy looking, but just wanted to make sure I don't blow up driving down the street. Worst case...:angel:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
yep also you can clean up the engine bay some more you could rerun the fuel line to just go right to the cp3 if you want to get crazy :rolleyes: thats my plan is to redue some fuel plumbing once i get some other intake set-ups planned out an put together buddy of mine has got wheels turning in my head after seeing his :rofl:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
No codes or nothing.

You can add a hose barb to the 2 lines right at the filter head to splice them together, or you can loop about a foot of hose from the 2 lines more toward the front of the motor, or you can use a 180° fuel fitting and 2 short pieces of hose to clean it up better. Dont use a short piec of hose to "loop" back as it will collapse...

You wont see any gain in deleting the filter. You lift pump already pushes the fuel up to the motor. If you see any gain, your factory filter was prolly bad.

This mod allows you to not have to change an expensive filter, also its not hard to get to to change anymore.

You will loose your primer though, and if your lift pump fails, and you bypass it, good luck getting your truck running. I had to pull vacuum from the fuel test port to prime my truck when my FASS failed. I also run a AirDog now :D

The AirDog filters work very good, and are like 3 micron, I am thinking about putting my 2 micron CAT filter back in line as well, to catch anything before lift pump, since its cheap to change and can go a long time.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
No codes or nothing.

You can add a hose barb to the 2 lines right at the filter head to splice them together, or you can loop about a foot of hose from the 2 lines more toward the front of the motor, or you can use a 180° fuel fitting and 2 short pieces of hose to clean it up better. Dont use a short piec of hose to "loop" back as it will collapse...

You wont see any gain in deleting the filter. You lift pump already pushes the fuel up to the motor. If you see any gain, your factory filter was prolly bad.

This mod allows you to not have to change an expensive filter, also its not hard to get to to change anymore.

You will loose your primer though, and if your lift pump fails, and you bypass it, good luck getting your truck running. I had to pull vacuum from the fuel test port to prime my truck when my FASS failed. I also run a AirDog now :D

The AirDog filters work very good, and are like 3 micron, I am thinking about putting my 2 micron CAT filter back in line as well, to catch anything before lift pump, since its cheap to change and can go a long time.

Couldn't have said better my truck wouldn't pull fuel threw the failed pump any way so primer didn't matter

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Thx guys. Just took the filter unit out and had the barbed fitting in. Where can I get a u shaped brass tube or aluminum?

Jegs, summit, a hose supply store....

Looking to do something like this:
aer-fbm1562_w_m.jpg

Plus this:
fra-180106_w_m.jpg

(pictured is not "exactly" what you want, I just found 2 pics that looked right to give you idea)