deleting a lbz intake heater

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
If one wanted to delete the egr and install a whole new intake tube is there a way to make it where the check engine light wont come on for the intake heater without having efi live.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
to remove it you must have efi to "turn off" the code.

i might be remaking my intake and selling my egr/intake air heater pipe if you are interested.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
It wont come on til it gets cold enough it thinks it needs it but basically no you can't (without efi live) but you may be able to make a plug in resistor to make it think its plugged in still

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe running a dummy plug with a jumper wire. Would have to look at a wiring schematic and then find out what the ECM is looking for to make it happy. I have a feeling thought the ECM also looks at the IAT sensor while its commanding voltage to the heater though, I doubt there is a way around that.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Thats what I was thinking. Maybe running a dummy plug with a jumper wire. Would have to look at a wiring schematic and then find out what the ECM is looking for to make it happy. I have a feeling thought the ECM also looks at the IAT sensor while its commanding voltage to the heater though, I doubt there is a way around that.

Ahh I didn't think bout that one ill have to look into that? But the dummy plug would work if the IAT didn't have anything to do with it which I also doubt now

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
If you can figure out a way to apply voltage to the feedback circuit you could do it, but you would need to figure out what the resistance is in the intake heater itself, and then figure out from that how much voltage to apply to the feedback circuit, and then figure out how to switch it on and off when the ECM calls for the heater on. Seems much easier to me to just find someone with EFI Live to disable the heater cycle, code and diagnostic test...this way you don't have a hot wire floating around under the hood either.

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
It wont come on til it gets cold enough it thinks it needs it but basically no you can't (without efi live) but you may be able to make a plug in resistor to make it think its plugged in still

I have an lmm so it might be different, but it turns on at 100% for 30 seconds no matter the outside temp. I saw it glowing red when I removed it and tie wrapped it to a bracket lol. After that I just made two aluminum plates to cover it to prevent a fire under the hood.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
This is for a buddy with a pretty much stock truck but he wants the EGR cooler deleted. Tony B is the only one that makes a delete kit that comes with a new IC pipe with the intake heater provisions and that kit is very expensive. Josh and I both have EFI but the owner doesnt want to spend 100 bucks on a liscense if there is cheaper way around it.

Odds are you can log the heater voltage and put a jumper wire from the power wire to the signal wire with an inline resistor and make the ECM happy.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
You still need to tape off the big red power wire when you unhook it, It stays hoot or you can trace it back and unhook it from the power box. I would tell the guy to suck it up its only 99 bucks alot better then the time you will spend search ing and tring to figure this out.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I have an lmm so it might be different, but it turns on at 100% for 30 seconds no matter the outside temp. I saw it glowing red when I removed it and tie wrapped it to a bracket lol. After that I just made two aluminum plates to cover it to prevent a fire under the hood.

I see in your sig rob does your tuning just have him turn that stuff off. An for the open its worth the 99 bucks to just turn it off with. Efi live but is possibly doable without it?

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
I see in your sig rob does your tuning just have him turn that stuff off. An for the open its worth the 99 bucks to just turn it off with. Efi live but is possibly doable without it?

Your right, but I guess I didn't want to bother him and at least the wires stay on the heater rather than having to remove them. Man I'm a bit tired of working on the truck lol!

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
This is for a buddy with a pretty much stock truck but he wants the EGR cooler deleted. Tony B is the only one that makes a delete kit that comes with a new IC pipe with the intake heater provisions and that kit is very expensive. Josh and I both have EFI but the owner doesnt want to spend 100 bucks on a liscense if there is cheaper way around it.

Odds are you can log the heater voltage and put a jumper wire from the power wire to the signal wire with an inline resistor and make the ECM happy.

I have a Stream/Workshop cable, no licensing costs for me.

Is he close to Statesville ? When are you looking at getting this done ??

Lemme Know.

:D