Decent Sporting Clay Gun?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
What do you all recommend for an entry-level (aka <$1000) shotgun for sporting clays - skeet or trap?

I went on a men's retreat with church this weekend and afterwards we shot clays. I've always hunted and never shot clays before. Needless to say, I had a blast though my shoulder is telling me otherwise. :baby: Anyways, I've found myself browsing a little and man, the guns that seem to be near the top Beretta's, Benelli's etc. are out of reach for me unless they are half-priced as used. :angel:

So, do any of you recommend a reasonably priced alternative that is reliable, 28-32" barrel, switchable chokes, won't beat the tar outta me and did I mention reasonably priced? :coolspot:

TIA! :hug:

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
my experience, simi-autos will kick a little less than over/unders, pumps.
a lot of people use the Remington 1100. you can find them used for cheap these days (200-300 @ local gun shows). the 11-87 is similar too, but different chokes??(integrated...non-integrated?)
some of the pros you will see use over/unders, which gives you the option of using 2 different chokes. i've never really been a fan of them. i just use my Remington 870 (pump)...due to the fact that i use it for dove hunting too, so i want to use the same for target practice.

Berettas & Benillis (sp?) are nice, but pricey. i read that winchester has a new simi-auto (not new anymore...maybe a year out) that takes most of the recoil out.

p.s. the sore sholder is a badge of honor that proves you did something "manly" recently. :D

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Franchi makes a nice semi auto, check them out. There made by Benelli too. I would also recommend buying from Bud's Gunshop in Paris, They've always treated us well and a great selection.
Personnally I use my 870 express for everything under the sun and it hasn't done me wrong even once yet

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Speaking of the trusty 870... they make a trap version of a reg. ol' 870 that is upwards of $800. :eek: I like to have croaked! That's a lot of upgrading on an 870 to get to $800+. LOL

I like the Rem. 1100. Need to go to some gun shows I guess cause anything worth having is expensive new. :(

A friend has a Benelli Super Sport. Bow chica bow wow!! :cool2: Sweet machine right there but gracious day the MSRP on one is $1800. :spit: Similar Berettas are pretty a little cheaper but still $1500 or there abouts. It makes me sick to spend even half that but I'd consider it I suppose.

I suspect I already know the answer but how about the cheap Charles Daly rem. knock offs??? New, they come with lifetime warranty and if they're modeled after a Rem., maybe they are decent for entry level?

C-ya

Last edited:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I use a 12ga. 28" Browning BPS for clays, chucker, Pheasent, Duck and Goose. I also have a Franchi, but find myself going back to the good ol BPS for fun! I get bored of just pulling the trigger.

T2CH

<<<Me...Not My Wife...
Apr 30, 2008
Charlottesville, Va
A question you need to ask yourself is what you are going to shoot the most. If skeet, trap or sporting clays or hunting dove, geese or ducks.
The reason I say this is if you shoot enough you will find the gun is not the most expensive thing to this sport. Shooting 2 3/4 shells is cheaper than 3 or 3 1/2. Yes, they have less pellets per shell but they also kick less. Plus, if you learn to shoot 2 3/4 for target it should be easier to hunt with 3 or 3 1/2.
Also, not all semi auto's will cycle 2 3/4 shells as well as the others.

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
like said, it really depends on what you will do the most with the gun. If you plan on just skeet shooting, many people choose the over and unders. If you want an all purpose gun that throws you in a different kinda range. You can find many different great guns for around five to eight hundred. I personally like the trusty old 1100. That was remingtons first gas operated semi and i think it was the best. However, there are many new ones that will work well too, but be carefull with gun shops cause most of them are ridiculously HIGH!!!

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Remington 1100's work well for skeet/trap, but the Browning Citori is a VERY nice shotgun. My grandfather has two, a 28ga small frame and a full frame with four barrels (12, 20, 28 & 410). I'd take them over an 1100 any day. One of the advantages of the O/U is if you reload, or decide to start, you don't have to go chasing your shells.

Also, not all semi auto's will cycle 2 3/4 shells as well as the others.

:confused::confused: Huh? Most Semi autos are designed for 2 3/4" shells. I've never shot anything but. what you need to watch for is if it's chambered for 3" shells.

Last edited:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
i bought a Stoger P350 a few weeks ago now and since have put around 1300 shells through it and couldnt be happier with my purchase. it has low recoil i have shot 425 shells in one day with it at the local range and didnt even know i shot the gun the next day

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
Browning Citori if your looking for o/u...Remington 1187 if your looking for a semi.

FYI, you will want a longer barrell so the shot is more evenly dispersed.

My uncle owns a sporting clays range and he had a loaner browning citori with thousands upon thousands of shells through it and I always shot with it when I wasn't trapping (13-18 yrs old) and I loved that gun! I'd recommend it to anyone.

Brayden

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
X2

Remington 1100's work well for skeet/trap, but the Browning Citori is a VERY nice shotgun. My grandfather has two, a 28ga small frame and a full frame with four barrels (12, 20, 28 & 410). I'd take them over an 1100 any day. One of the advantages of the O/U is if you reload, or decide to start, you don't have to go chasing your shells.

:confused::confused: Huh? Most Semi autos are designed for 2 3/4" shells. I've never shot anything but. what you need to watch for is if it's chambered for 3" shells.