Cylinder Head machining

Belldiver

Dec 11, 2013
Louisiana
A couple questions about cylinder head work...

I'm pulling the heads off a LYY motor, probably next week sometime to replace head gaskets. Motor has ~108K miles on it and appears to be in excellent condition other than the HG's. No smoke in exhaust or other issues. This is a bone stock truck and other than going back with ARP studs, I don't plans for any real performance upgrades.

What all should I have done to the heads and any special instructions for the machine shop? I know the usual, check for warpage or cracks, but should the heads be machined off a couple thousandths? I'll probably get the valves reground and guides/seals checked, but should I recess the valves any particular amount?

How tight are the tolerances in a stock LLY motor from valve to piston top? I'll be using Grade C gaskets. Do I need to do the clay test piston top check or can I just bolt'er up?

Thanks for any input.

Jim

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Are valve guides, springs, or seals a typical issue for these heads? Or usually good to go?

Specs on all those parts in the links I gave not bad to have spring pressure checked while there apart and reinstalling. They will check guides also while there in them that's there job. Your head gasket kit has valve seals in it so they can install new ones.