• crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 670

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Measured deflection is about the same as the computer model's prediction.

I need to make a jig to hold the crank to I can squeeze on it like a piston and rod would.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I can send some old rods over if you want them to make the jig.

Could you line bore 2 old block saddles and put them together to hold it at the main journals?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I have lots of old rods, thanks.

I need to work out how to keep the crank from turning while I squeeze it.

Tied up with piston production right now.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Eventually, yes. Right now I am doing measurements piece by piece a throw at a time so I tell when additional loads are introduced.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
My lbz crank that I just got pulled out of my motor is busted completely in half at the 4th journal back what do you think was the course of that? I know that this discussion was talking about the 1st journal not being so great I just found it to be very odd to be broke at the 4th journal

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I disagree on the twisting Pat. A Torsional fracture looks completley different from a Bending Fatigue Fracture. I do think your on to something possibly with the different weight/inertia between the front and rear of the crank. I also think flaws in the casting are a big/biggest contributer, I think I read somewhere you had mentioned that as well?

Looks like you had to sit through 5 days of failure analysis class too? Hope your instructor was more interesting than mine.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I disagree on the twisting Pat. A Torsional fracture looks completley different from a Bending Fatigue Fracture. I do think your on to something possibly with the different weight/inertia between the front and rear of the crank. I also think flaws in the casting are a big/biggest contributer, I think I read somewhere you had mentioned that as well?

Looks like you had to sit through 5 days of failure analysis class too? Hope your instructor was more interesting than mine.

A crankshaft is not purely a shaft. You can't directly apply twisting or bending forces on them from the rod journals, or even the flywheel or pulley. It's a vector.

It both bends and twists at the same time.

Put a _|-|_ shaped bar in a vice. First hold just one end in the vice and see how hard it is to bend. Then put both ends in the vice and bend the journal. Way different. Equal load on both sides is hard to defeat. But with only one side stopping you, it's simple.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
In any case, when you have something that breaks at a known location, the ghetto fix is not to analyze why it breaks there, but to figure out how to beef up the fracture area.

Not an easy fix.

But figuring out how to balance the loading on both ends will make it harder to break.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Any way to increase the radius of the mains? Isn't that what they do in high compression gas motors? Taking some material away actually helps it's longevity my relieving a stress point. Such was the thought with "delipping" pistons.

Could be way out in left field on that one...just thinking out loud. If it can be done, I'm assuming a new bearing would need to be manufactured as well....?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Friends LBZ in Iowa snapped @ #1 main @ 75mph.

Attachments

• 1044359_10201673983437245_1440422744_n.jpg
    1044359_10201673983437245_1440422744_n.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 168

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Any way to increase the radius of the mains? Isn't that what they do in high compression gas motors? Taking some material away actually helps it's longevity my relieving a stress point. Such was the thought with "delipping" pistons.

Could be way out in left field on that one...just thinking out loud. If it can be done, I'm assuming a new bearing would need to be manufactured as well....?

There is some merit to relieving the area near the rod journals. Changes the bending from a point (stress riser) to a larger area. Kinda the fishing rod mentality.

The problem, as is the case with most any crank, is that the transition from the rod journal to the throw is a focal point for the loads on the crank.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
IIRC, somebody checked core hardness vs surface hardness on the busted cranks?

If so, what did the find? Could it be the core hardness is too high?

You want the surface hard enough to resist wear, but you want the core mild enough to absorb shock loads, ie - has some give to it.

This is not necessarily just a mental exercise (but close). Perhaps somebody with lots of bucks and lots of time could anneal an OEM crank, then heat treat it again, then cryo it? You'd probably have to regrind it though, and depending on how much it moves, it might be trash when you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.