LLY: Crank Balancer Bolt thread pitch?

mowsnow

Jun 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
I am trying to get the crank balance bolt off and its working me over. First off is it left or right hand threads?

Secondly do I need to put a puller on it or can I just beat it off if its giving me hell? :D

Any other tips or tricks you guys might have would be greatly appreciated!

Oh P.S. I dont have that J-22375903-59-4954-95 fly wheel holder. :rofl:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It is right hand thread. Not sure on the pitch. The stock balancer is a slip fit. Pat posted a tip about using a socket and bolt to hold the flywheel. You should be able to find it if you do a search.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
^^^yep use pats method to hold the flywheel or borrow the dealers. Youll need some way to do it. Theyre tight, I believe the torque spec is 225lb-ft or somewhere close. Ive zipped them off with an impact before too.

Then it should slip off with some wiggling or the aid of a pry bar. But its a snug fit

The ones ive taken off come off with ease with a little finesse.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
get a socket and breaker bar, brace bar against frame rail, click key dont crank, starter will do all the work for you.

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
i removed the starter and stuck a 1/2 extension in the hole to hold the fly wheel and took 66 inches of cheater on a 3/4 breaker bar to get the bolt loose.

i wass too iffy about bumping it off with the starter, anything that can go wrong will go wrong with me:(

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
if you dont have a torque wrench that goes to the 270-something ft lbs, the "other" spec I believe is 74ft lbs, and then another 105* past that.

I could be wrong, thats off memory.

ben

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've only used the torque angle method. It is posted in the GM Spec area.

mowsnow

Jun 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
Thanks for the info, I wouldnt be this far without your guys help!

Got the fan off and got the balancer off, old water pump out and now waiting to go get new o rings for the inlet tubes and other small stuff, Just to cover my a$$. I also need to get a new crank bolt?

I ended up putting the IR impact on it and it spun the bolt right off! I should have done that before using the breaker bar and "FUBAR-ING" my balancer. A chunck fell off it when I took the balancer off! it was in the spot where i had a pipe jamming it from spinning. Lesson learned.

Moving on to more important things, I need a new harmonic balancer!!!

Where would you guys suggest scaring one up?? Or do any of you have any sitting on a shelf in you garage, I would happily paypal you some money for it!:)

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
01-04 is 278 ftlb's
05-up is 74 ftlb's then 105 deg turn

But when i just got a new balancer bolt for Dmavaz, Gm has changed the bolts.the 01 and up uses the same one now so the tq spec should be 278 ftlbs.

If you need a new balancer send me your vin and I will get you a price for a new one.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
IIRC there are two specs for tighteneing depending on what model of engine you have. One is a torque angle method and the other is a straight up torque and that's it. I'll see if I can find it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
01-04 is 278 ftlb's
05-up is 74 ftlb's then 105 deg turn

But when i just got a new balancer bolt for Dmavaz, Gm has changed the bolts.the 01 and up uses the same one now so the tq spec should be 278 ftlbs.

If you need a new balancer send me your vin and I will get you a price for a new one.

hey my memory was right!! :D

Why did they change the spec? Is it critical? Ive always just tightened mine with the torque-angle method because I dont have a torque wrench that goes up to 278 ft lbs

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
hey my memory was right!! :D

Why did they change the spec? Is it critical? Ive always just tightened mine with the torque-angle method because I dont have a torque wrench that goes up to 278 ft lbs

Hey Ben this parts change just happened so I guess it much be cheaper for Gm to use one.

mowsnow

Jun 20, 2009
Omaha, NE
Well I got one from a local salvage yard here. It cost me 120 bucks. It almost looks the same but my old one has some dimples on the side of it and the used one does not. I was told the used one I got was more "true" to balance from the factory so that is why it does not have these dimples in it? Is that true or do I have the wrong balancer. Are all the balancers the same from 02 to 07?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
No they are not. You need a balancer from an 05 or older. 06 and newer are balanced differently.