Cracked flywheel housing surprise

DmaxRvRrat

Mar 19, 2014
I've been so busy i haven't updated the progress as i went along but after working on it every night after work and this weekend, i finished the replacement of the rear cover and installed the trans.

Big thanks to Meshanic for helping me out with a different rear cover....Is the address on the shipping label you used a good address to send you something for your trouble? :hug:

Put a new flex plate in, it must have been a newer style but still worked. I also ended up dropping the upper oil pan as well. The rear cover came loose pretty violently and ended up ruining the dowels in the upper pan anyways. I also found it was seeping a little oil so i figured i would re-seal it while i had everything apart.

I got to drive it Monday night and Tuesday morning, then my ecm bricked (long story). :mad: I couldn't believe my luck. Good news is for the 20 minutes i got to drive it, there were no leaks and it seemed to shift good. :roflmao: I have another ECM arriving tomorrow morning and can't wait to put some miles on it this weekend.

Mike if everything goes as planned i will be able to send my old transmission back to you next week :thumb:

backyardwrencher

Jun 6, 2014
Ihey guys I ran into the same thing but I can't find a new plate!! If anyone has one they wanna sell I live in Maine zip 04623. Pm me with a price

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Josh H just did this repair on my brothers LBZ! Poor guy worked night and day! Big job for sure. Glad the guys could help you out with advice. Great people on this forum.

backyardwrencher

Jun 6, 2014
If you mess up those dowel pins in the upper pan you have to replace the whole pan or just the dowels?? And where did you guys get the o rings and gaskets for the plate?? Napa says they can't get them!!?

DmaxRvRrat

Mar 19, 2014
If you messed up just the dowels, you can replace them. I got all of my gaskets, o rings, seals, and dowels from merchant auto.

Dieseltech630

May 23, 2013
Northern KY
Why are you guys replacing the dowels just out of curiosity? I broke mine removing my plate and threw it back together. All the bolts lined up fine. I think its just a thing to help line the upper pan up for the guy throwing it together on the assembly line. I cant imagine those two little dowels actually do anything.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Why are you guys replacing the dowels just out of curiosity? I broke mine removing my plate and threw it back together. All the bolts lined up fine. I think its just a thing to help line the upper pan up for the guy throwing it together on the assembly line. I cant imagine those two little dowels actually do anything.

Dowels are there for a reason. Bolts are smaller in diameter than the holes they go into. The bolts only hold 2 units together. The dowels line them up perfectly. Yes they are very important.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Do I dare ask what could possibly happen if I let it ride? I mean, clamping force is a thing. I torqued everything the way it was supposed to be.

Engine vibration will eventually move the unit without dowels no matter how tight you bolted it down. Something will be thrown out of wack. Can it hurt something; yes. Will it hurt something; that remains to be seen.
In an automatic trans it can wipe out the pump and converter. In a stick shift it will cause uneven clutch and bearing wear. The question is; how lucky do you feel.

DmaxRvRrat

Mar 19, 2014
Do I dare ask what could possibly happen if I let it ride? I mean, clamping force is a thing. I torqued everything the way it was supposed to be.

Did you install the dowels in between the rear cover and block?

As far as the dowels in the upper oil pan; i don't see how it would cause any major problems as the orientation of the rear cover to block would still remain the same.

Turner87

May 24, 2014
I just got done doing mine, didn't have to remove the oil cooler. Removed the front differental and front steering linkage for better access to upper oil pan.. its a pain in the a** but just take your time. Also replace the flywheel bolts , torque them then do the two 60° turns. Hope you have a lift unlike me did it all on the floor.

DmaxRvRrat

Mar 19, 2014
I didn't remove the oil cooler either, just the elbow and replaced all the coppers and gaskets associated with it. My 4" lift allowed me to just drop the centerlink to gain easier access to the upper oil pan. The only time I enjoy this lift is when i'm working on the pickup!