Help: Coolant leak--Idler arm area

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I had thought this was my trans lines but apparently not. For a couple weeks now there has been a good size puddle around that area. Just checked and it's coolant.
Looking under the truck it's dripping onto the idler arm and skidplate directly in front of that. I haven't crawled completely under to check the weep hole but from GM's diagrams of the water pump location that should be on the drivers side of the crank shouldn't it ?
Truck warms up normally and heater works right. Truck had not been started/moved in 17 hours but there was pressure on the tank cap when I topped it off. Due to GM's amazingly clear "full cold" indication line, I overfilled the tank but it was maybe 1 1/2" low from the actual full line.
Thanks, Chris

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Coolant bypass pipe connections leaking?

Last edited:

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I'm honestly not even sure where that is. It's cold as hell today so I've just looked it over and nothing obvious. It's dark now so I'll have to get under it tomorrow and look good. Is it easy to spot?

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
When I had my coolant leak JoshH pointed me back to the adapter plate on the back of the block. There is a coolant block off plate back there that's above the starter and behind the downpipe. When mine was keaking there I had coolant up on around the idler.

SDP

AKA Dmax15
Dec 20, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
Another possibility is the small aluminum coolant tube going to the heater core, they can break at the welds on the tabs. I started seeing my leak in the same spot you are talking about, welded it closed and all is good now.

Last edited:

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
When I had my coolant leak JoshH pointed me back to the adapter plate on the back of the block. There is a coolant block off plate back there that's above the starter and behind the downpipe. When mine was keaking there I had coolant up on around the idler.

And it travelled all the way back to the front before dripping anywhere else?

Thanks guys, I'll try and look at it again tomorrow.

Last edited:

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Another possibility is the small aluminum coolant tube going to the heater core, they can break at the welds on the tabs. I started seeing my leak in the same spot you are talking about, welded it closed and all is good now.

I had the same problem here as well. However, I am no welder (unfortunately) so I replaced the tube.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Chris, are you talking about the clamp on the driver's side of the balancer, up against the front of the motor? Mines leaking a bit around there too.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Not sure as the dealer found it as he was checking something else. think it was the radiator side of the lower hose/ pass side.

Devolont

Jun 27, 2010
I believe it to be the lower rad hose going into the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. Mine is leaking like crazy. As well as somewhere on the passenger side block. I didn't check that aluminum pipe going to the heater core. I just got the motor in last night and today was the real test run. I have two clamps on the lower radiator nub. The stock one and another hose clamp just above it. If someone could answer me this, the line that is aluminum and threads into the radiator, is that a coolant line, or a transmission cooler or oil cooler line?