converter with Danville 68mmstg2r

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm not sure where to start here... I am not happy with my current converter. It's dead off the line and the lockup is far too harsh. I can deal with the former but NOT with the latter. It's my understanding that this lockup in light/mid throttle is what you get with Suncoast now; some more than others. Talking to Towyouforfree, his 1058 locks really harsh on his 68mmstg2r build as well, so I'm shying away from Suncoast.

My builder agrees with me, and agreed to change the vert; top-notch service! But to what??? It was suggested that Precision's ML would offer smooth lockup. I'm looking for suggestions! ML-R looks like maybe even a better match? I'm 8,000lbs empty, 4wd, aforementioned turbo. I do everything from boosted launches playing in the street, dd, family trips, tow light, tow heavy - everything! My 777 is too tight - not sure of specs but I think very comparable to the 1054.

I was going to call Mike, but I think maybe having this thread might help some other folks with the new 66/68stg2r turbos that Mark is making; which are awesome BTW!!

Thanks in advance!
Wally
P.S. I did read Mike posting about a possible resetting taps from Allison's DOC helping the lockup. I have not tried it through. WKS

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I've got the same turbo on my truck and when I talked to Evan he had mentioned a new converter from Suncoast. Might be worth giving him a call and seeing what he's got to say.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Thanks - I did just that, and he also told me about it. However, what I can't be sure of is if the lockup will be the same. I ASSume it is.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Call back and ask him. He told me it was the cats ass for this turbo. I almost bought one but my 58 does fine for what I do

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Heard mention of a 1074 Suncoast converter in testing.. Via Facebook.. To fix the basic problem of blowing through the stall/coupling/what ever you want to call it,
Due to how fast the 68stg2(r) and like chargers comes on..
I have similar issues due to the amount of weight I tow

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Call back and ask him. He told me it was the cats ass for this turbo. I almost bought one but my 58 does fine for what I do

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I asked already - it was the same I've heard about the line; some do and some don't. He furthered that some ML do too. That wasn't the greatest news :( I hope he doesn't mind me repeating this in paraphrase.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Talked to mike about this last week. He recommended the goerun "g" converter.

Truck has a 1056 that will slide stuff off the dash when it locks at part throttle 45mph right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I asked already - it was the same I've heard about the line; some do and some don't. He furthered that some ML do too. That wasn't the greatest news :( I hope he doesn't mind me repeating this in paraphrase.

My ML-G with tight stall is fricken awesome! This sucker is damn near coupling at idle. It was a night and day difference going from the ML precision to the MLG by georend. I'm 7800lbs on 37s and 4.56 gears and even on the 600hp tune, I could blow through the ML. Now it's like having the converter locked and pulls so well before converter lock up. Only issue now is traction.

Shime

May 21, 2013
I believe it is a Suncoast 1074R. My understand is that there was some collaboration between Danville and Suncoast on the converter. I'm running one of Marks 72R and just blew a Suncoast 1058 and they(Danville) are putting in 1074R to try. I will let everyone know how it works. Hope get out there within the next week. Mark my add some insight .

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Chevy1925 - is tight stall an option or you are just saying its stall is low? How is lockup? thanks!

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I'm not sure where to start here... I am not happy with my current converter. It's dead off the line and the lockup is far too harsh. I can deal with the former but NOT with the latter. It's my understanding that this lockup in light/mid throttle is what you get with Suncoast now; some more than others. Talking to Towyouforfree, his 1058 locks really harsh on his 68mmstg2r build as well, so I'm shying away from Suncoast.

My builder agrees with me, and agreed to change the vert; top-notch service! But to what??? It was suggested that Precision's ML would offer smooth lockup. I'm looking for suggestions! ML-R looks like maybe even a better match? I'm 8,000lbs empty, 4wd, aforementioned turbo. I do everything from boosted launches playing in the street, dd, family trips, tow light, tow heavy - everything! My 777 is too tight - not sure of specs but I think very comparable to the 1054.

I was going to call Mike, but I think maybe having this thread might help some other folks with the new 66/68stg2r turbos that Mark is making; which are awesome BTW!!

Thanks in advance!
Wally
P.S. I did read Mike posting about a possible resetting taps from Allison's DOC helping the lockup. I have not tried it through. WKS

I have a Danville 66 and couldn't be happier with how mine takes off and how the lockup is. been running it for 5+ years now. and I have the equivalent of the 1056 from MikeL himself. which if I'm not mistaken should be more lag then a 1058.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Chevy1925 - is tight stall an option or you are just saying its stall is low? How is lockup? thanks!

oh also - any pushing through the brakes during daily driving?

I've heard there have been a few looser stall MLGs out there from hose specifying more. mine is what it originally was designed as. Adding more stall to a converter will affect coupling though. I have not stalled it yet but I can still light my modded stock charger just as fast as before on the old converter. Lock up is firm but no where near harsh. Now that the rpm difference between the engine output and trans input shaft are a lot less due to the better coupling, there isn't a huge drop in rpm when lock up occurs so you don't get the slam from slowing the motor down.

There is a little more push on the brakes at idle but not bad. I'm due for a brake fluid flush and power steering flush though too

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I've heard there have been a few looser stall MLGs out there from hose specifying more. mine is what it originally was designed as. Adding more stall to a converter will affect coupling though. I have not stalled it yet but I can still light my modded stock charger just as fast as before on the old converter. Lock up is firm but no where near harsh. Now that the rpm difference between the engine output and trans input shaft are a lot less due to the better coupling, there isn't a huge drop in rpm when lock up occurs so you don't get the slam from slowing the motor down.

There is a little more push on the brakes at idle but not bad. I'm due for a brake fluid flush and power steering flush though too

What makes the ML G converter so great is it stalls pretty well and at a higher rpm, but couples amazingly low when normal driving.... I picked up a slightly used one and a low mile Fleece 63.5mm Cheetah, if I ever finish getting my dd back together... It doesn't help I have trucks backing up in the yard and keep breaking the pulling truck front driveline!

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I believe it is a Suncoast 1074R. My understand is that there was some collaboration between Danville and Suncoast on the converter. I'm running one of Marks 72R and just blew a Suncoast 1058 and they(Danville) are putting in 1074R to try. I will let everyone know how it works. Hope get out there within the next week. Mark my add some insight .

Definitely interested to hear results

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I've never driven a Danville charger so I have no opinion here. I haven't tested the new SC converters so I have no opinion there either.

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com

Just to set the story straight. We have never worked with Danville on any torque converters( not to say that we wouldn't) . All of the new options we have coming out are solely based off ideas and research/development/testing done between Evan, Our machine shop/jerry our converter builder and myself. There is much more to come in time, New 3K + stall, more Billet stator options, smaller/lighter converters... Stay tuned :D

Last edited:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
It's not a 1074r its just a 1074. Suncoast and I have been trying out some different options and the 1074 is one of them. So far it seems like a great converter. Once more are out in different applications and feedback is given the necessary changes will be made to perfect it.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I like my 1054 with the R turbo. It couples great down low and locks smooth every time. Really loads the truck well with such a fast spooling turbo, makes for a great combo.