Cognito braces or dhd brace for DD/track duty?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
What would be better for me? The cognito braces actually tighten up the steering, correct? That would be great since I hate the loose wiggle in the steering. But they reduce turning radius sooo... Which do you prefer and why?

Wolf.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What would be better for me? The cognito braces actually tighten up the steering, correct? That would be great since I hate the loose wiggle in the steering. But they reduce turning radius sooo... Which do you prefer and why?

Wolf.

you need to find where the play is coming from first.

cognito supports dont reduce turning radius if you make sure they clear the frame and/or clearance them to fit. only some trucks need that

i prefer neither as they are just a bandaid on a problem. others will say differently but thats why its my opinion :D

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

cognito supports dont reduce turning radius if you make sure they clear the frame and/or clearance them to fit. only some trucks need that

i prefer neither as they are just a bandaid on a problem. others will say differently but thats why its my opinion :D

New pitman/idler arm and bracket, new tierods as well. Some of the slack is in the gearbox. But I can move the steering wheel + or - 10 degrees before wheels move. Roughly

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

Speaking of steering (James you dirt bag:hug:) how in the blue blazes do you get Mac to call or e-mail you back? I would love to get my hands on one of his steering kits but... Your the only guy I know lucky enough to get one before Cognito started there sh*t.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
New pitman/idler arm and bracket, new tierods as well. Some of the slack is in the gearbox. But I can move the steering will + or - 10 degrees before wheels move. Roughly

you need to be sure where its all coming from. new or not, after the launches ive seen you post about, they very well can hurt new parts

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Speaking of steering (James you dirt bag:hug:) how in the blue blazes do you get Mac to call or e-mail you back? I would love to get my hands on one of his steering kits but... Your the only guy I know lucky enough to get one before Cognito started there sh*t.

you wont.... ive tried to get ahold of Mac off and on for the past few years. never got anything back. i think about 10 kits made their way out before they got sent the letter from cognito. sucks too cause its still my favorite kit and i need a new piece on the end of mine that rusted and cross threaded.

i really really wish i could figure out a way to get rid of bend in the centerlink all together but the frame and motor wont allow it...

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
you need to be sure where its all coming from. new or not, after the launches ive seen you post about, they very well can hurt new parts

I can barely move the centerlink up or down with truck in the air. No side to side slack. One ball joint has some wear... Minimum wear really.

PM me, I've been here long enough. I'm tired of messing with this I want it right.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
you wont.... ive tried to get ahold of Mac off and on for the past few years. never got anything back. i think about 10 kits made their way out before they got sent the letter from cognito. sucks too cause its still my favorite kit and i need a new piece on the end of mine that rusted and cross threaded.

i really really wish i could figure out a way to get rid of bend in the centerlink all together but the frame and motor wont allow it...
I figured as much, sucks.

I can barely move the centerlink up or down with truck in the air. No side to side slack. One ball joint has some wear... Minimum wear really.

PM me, I've been here long enough. I'm tired of messing with this I want it right.

Take some video of it launching. Might be able to see something going on?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I figured as much, sucks.

Take some video of it launching. Might be able to see something going on?

I've read so much about this "kit" and that "brace" I'm just lost. Because reviews are all over the place. The truck did great last weekend, with the exception of pulling left....

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have had cognito braces and sleeves for 60k and all is well. Hundreds on hundreds of boosted launches on street tires to cheater slicks down in the low 1.5x 60'. Torsion bars all the way down and Qa1 shocks.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I like my cognito braces. My truck is as low as the torsion bars can go though. I had one of the older style dhd braces and didn't like it. Ended up putting my cognito back on.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I had the cognito braces and I truly believe they effect turning radius, I was having to 3-point turn every time to get into a parking space. I really like the dhd brace alot.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I should add they felt like steering was tight, not binding but felt tight in a bad way, like they were loading up towards full lock. Either was I was glad to be rid of them.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I took my cognito braced off and put a DHD brace on with the bearing upgrade. I like the DHD better for launching vs the cognito, it launches way straighter and smoother, granted this with the T bolts about half way up.

colorado.dmax

Apr 19, 2015

What bend in the centerlink are you talking about not being able to eliminate?

colorado.dmax

Apr 19, 2015
Yes the stock unit has the little dog legs, but they can be eliminated. I run a PPE centerlink that is straight and I believe there were a couple other manufacturers that had straight bars.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Certainly can be eliminated by another idea of a fix but your steering geometry changes. Putting a straight bar on the steering system as it is now screws up the Ackerman angle and creates terrible scrub as you turn. The more you turn, the worse it gets.

Adding a full krytonite setup puts the inner joint behind the bar, effectively creating another "bend" like the stock center link but less leverage. Ackerman angle is still off but not near as bad as say a ppe centerlink.

This is all stuff I've gone over many many times. Search on here or dp and read on through :D

What we want is a ppe centerlink but the idler/pitman arm need to be moved back on the frame to the point that the tie rods are almost parallel to the centerlink when looking from the side of the truck down the length of the centerlink. This can not be achieved without some major front end reworking.