Choosing a Suncoast Converter 1056 vs 1058

streetwise

Dec 8, 2009
Springfield OH
I am choosing a converter and need to add a Signature. Truck is going to have a Suncoast v installed in next two weeks 2002 CCLB 4WD EFI by me, Fass 150, Aem Bf HD intake, AEM watermeth, Aem Gauges, MBRP single 6" Black stack, ARB lockers front and rear, leveled, 20" Dick Cepek Torques with FC 2's.

Truck is a Daily Driver Highway miles, some towing, will be doing some pulling next season 2.6. WD CP3, injectors, Turbo coming in late Feb. or early March. Trans is wounded and has to be upgraded now.

Looking for experience with these converters will I hve problems with the 1058 when towing. will I be sacrifice with the 1056 pulling (damage converter) looking for suggestions.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
1058 will give you a little better bottom end power and still couple pretty good. The 1056 was tightened up a couple of years ago because the 1057 was getting too expensive to build. The 1056 is a good all around converter.
I preferred the 1058 over the 1056 in my '04 LB7 running about 500 hp at the wheels. Strength wise they they are equal.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I've never had problems towing with 1058s and have always liked them. Like Mike said the 1056 is a good all around converter but not the greatest when you start upgrading your turbo and need the higher stall. I would recommend the Precision Industries ML series converter over either of them though. Depending on where you are I would also recommend saving a big chunk of money and having a reputable shop build your trans.

insane3639

Sep 22, 2008
This may be a little off topic but does the 1058 still have good street manners compared to the 1056?

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I've never had problems towing with 1058s and have always liked them. Like Mike said the 1056 is a good all around converter but not the greatest when you start upgrading your turbo and need the higher stall. I would recommend the Precision Industries ML series converter over either of them though. Depending on where you are I would also recommend saving a big chunk of money and having a reputable shop build your trans.

I second the ML converter. Right now I have a ATS 5-star but thats only because the truck came with it. The ml did everything awsome in my lbz from everday use, towing, and racing. In my opinion you can't beat it.

insane3639

Sep 22, 2008
I second the ML converter. Right now I have a ATS 5-star but thats only because the truck came with it. The ml did everything awsome in my lbz from everday use, towing, and racing. In my opinion you can't beat it.

Thank you but where can i buy this ML converter just in the process of looking for now

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Thank you but where can i buy this ML converter just in the process of looking for now

You can buy it from quite a few vendors. I ok'ed Precision to sell it to anyone.
Never thought it would be this big. It's the in house PPE converter. I run it in my truck and I can have any converter I want for free. It's that good.:D

Dura-Ration

You Shoulda GotA Diesel
Jun 20, 2008
Escatawpa, Ms.
What Mike L isn't telling you is that he helped designed the ML converter with Precision Industries in Tn. MLconverter=Mike L converter.
Like all the people that has used this converter,I am very happy with its performance and daily driving capibilties. If you do a search on this forum and most other forums you'll find an enormus following.

Last edited:

insane3639

Sep 22, 2008
You can buy it from quite a few vendors. I ok'ed Precision to sell it to anyone.
Never thought it would be this big. It's the in house PPE converter. I run it in my truck and I can have any converter I want for free. It's that good.:D

Ok i went to precisions site and i cant find it? sorry if asking alot but im cornfused now :eek:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yep X? on the PI ML. I love mine and couldn't be happier with it. It really woke up my LB7 just by building the trans and adding in the converter.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
OK...yea this is an old mother flip pin thread and has long since been dead, but instead of starting one and getting a billion more answers I'll just roll with this old one here.

I've got an 06 LBZ. Weighs 8k. Truck is a daily driver and I'd like to take it to the localish track. Truck has bw s366 kit. 66/80 .91 has a suncoast gmax 6r-3 kit. So I need a new converter and am curious what would be recommended. I've looked into Goerend, precision industries ml or mlg, and into the suncoast 1054, 1056, 1058.

I'm not brand loyal just looking for what will be best for my truck and needs... all input will be much appreciated

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk