Carnage......

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So trans died in the truck last week (most of you read that crap on the "what you did to your dmax today" thread). Mike was thinking the converter let go...... that definitely wasnt the case.

towed everything out there wednesday night with my dads 15.5 LML on his flat bed. love the truck but god damn do i hate the power it puts out, feels anemic. Grabbed a hotel for the night and showed up at his doorstep sometime before 8:00am. Got the truck up and yanked the trans out. Pulled the converter and there was no tell tale sign of a bad converter (bluing, noises, etc). So the trans tear down started. here is what was found

cyFZuj6l.jpg

1lwLsCkl.jpg

[YOUTUBE]geqMfM00TAk[/YOUTUBE]

thats the low/reverese planets. C2 drum was shot, pump was shot, planets shot , c2 hub splines still had the same amount of twist they have had since i damaged them 60k ago, converter was FULL of all this debris along with the internal filter (obviously), c2 apply was chipped and a host of other small things. i really did the f**ker in good :roflmao:. the funny thing about it all, every single clutch and steel looked damn near new. I had G3 clutches in the C2 and C3 and they showed no signs of wear and no heat into the steels. C1's iirc were red altos we put in about 50k ago and the C4-C5 were red altos that i think have been in the trans since the beginning, if not, they were put in at the first refresh when my engine was done. We found it funny the clutches were no longer the issue but hard parts were now :roflmao:. seems this isnt as much of an issue in these trucks and rare to happen unless you tow heavy ALOT, get her hot and are pushing some power. only time i ever got it hot was on my grade braking but we think the planets starting to die may have had something to do with the lack of cooling there. ill know when i tow again this summer

so because of all the damage and lack of 5 speed cores, she got a 6 speed trans with 5 speed valve body/harness, all G3 clutches, new G converter, full flush for about 4-5 hours to get the crap out of my coolers, and all the rest of the internal goodies.

I swapped my dads LML to the trailer, hooked my truck up to it and towed everything home last night without one issue and a smooth shifting trans again. I cant thank you enough Mike, you are a damn wizard with these things and one hell of a great friend :hug: :beer: mikelsheep:

Pt9OvhZl.jpg

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Definitely did a number on them innerds! Lookin forward to seeing how it acts on the hills now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Wow!!! Lol. That's some serious destruction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Glad to see everything worked out. I had the day off yesterday and was thinking of stopping by Mike's shop to visit since I was kinda out that way in the morning. Looks like I missed out......

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike needs to read up on turbo 400 stuff... I need an excuse to go over there :rofl:

Looking at your signature, you state you are tailgate member #1. How can that be when there are others claiming to be #1?
There can only be one.:cool2:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol is that 15 a Denali?
I would be so confused if I passed you on the highway:D

nope, just a loaded SLT. he couldnt justify the denali price tag. oh im sure if anyone saw me both ways, they were scratching their heads :roflmao:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I love that mentality!
Drive wot blow up fix rinse repeat :hug:
Glad your back in business

ha! no no, no WOT blowing things up. dont get me wrong, i USE this truck but i dont go out hammering on her, abusing her though that can be a fine line

Awesome timeframe from first post the other day to first tow haha.

ha! i dont dick around :D. We have a trip to the dunes for Thanksgiving and head out monday after work till sunday. one of our big trips we plan for and after all the damn work i put into the sand car and my daughters first quad to ride down there, i wasnt about to let this hold me up!

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Did you go with a different converter this time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im reminded of the phrase, "If you're going to do something, then do it right". You covered that both in how you wrecked the trans, and then how you dealt with it.
Nicely done. :thumb: