Cadillac ATS

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
What are you guys thoughts on these. The girlfriend is ready for a new ride and has her eyes on these. Told her the only way we were getting one was in AWD. any engine options to stay away from? Or other none issues. I don’t believe she’ll be happy with a car. She’s drove two different Yukon Denalis over the last 8 years. So this is a big change for her.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Well change of plans. Went and test drove the ATS. She doesn’t think she can make the switch to a car. So we found a 16 Yukon with a 5.3. Talked her out of another Denali as the trim packages are basically the same. The major difference being 6.2 L and The eight speed transmission. Literally no need for the 6.2 as anything we haul will use my truck. The 5.3 is pretty basic and proven motor. So my question is is there anything quick and easy I can do to improve the mileage a little. This has always been the biggest complaint about her Denali. Not so much the miles per gallon. More the size of the tank and how frequently she must stop and fill it up. She’s pretty sure her time is the most valuable on the planet and it’s an annoyance to her to have to stop and fill her tank LOL

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Well change of plans. Went and test drove the ATS. She doesn’t think she can make the switch to a car. So we found a 16 Yukon with a 5.3. Talked her out of another Denali as the trim packages are basically the same. The major difference being 6.2 L and The eight speed transmission. Literally no need for the 6.2 as anything we haul will use my truck. The 5.3 is pretty basic and proven motor. So my question is is there anything quick and easy I can do to improve the mileage a little. This has always been the biggest complaint about her Denali. Not so much the miles per gallon. More the size of the tank and how frequently she must stop and fill it up. She’s pretty sure her time is the most valuable on the planet and it’s an annoyance to her to have to stop and fill her tank LOL

What was her last vehicle? My wife drives a 16 Tahoe with an active fuel 5.3. It gets 21-23 mpg on the highway. And 16-18 driving around town. She doesn't have to fill up very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
What was her last vehicle? My wife drives a 16 Tahoe with an active fuel 5.3. It gets 21-23 mpg on the highway. And 16-18 driving around town. She doesn't have to fill up very often.

She’s been driving an 08 Denali for the last 5-6 years. Probably gets 16-18 mpg on the highway. The Yukon we are looking at has active fuel as well. The problem is she doesn’t want to get out of bed 10 min early to stop at the gas station at the end of our street lol

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
She’s been driving an 08 Denali for the last 5-6 years. Probably gets 16-18 mpg on the highway. The Yukon we are looking at has active fuel as well. The problem is she doesn’t want to get out of bed 10 min early to stop at the gas station at the end of our street lol
We get the same with our Tahoe 17 hwy and 11city maybe.

I used to get onto my wife every time I got in her Tahoe and it had less then 1/4 of a tank. Drove me nuts since its hard on the fuel pump and I like to have vehicals full for emergencies. Now since all of her trips are to and from school/work with the kids every weekend on one of my errands I fill it up for her. It gives me a chance to look it over for damage as well as repairs that need to be made to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
This has always been the biggest complaint about her Denali. Not so much the miles per gallon. More the size of the tank and how frequently she must stop and fill it up. She’s pretty sure her time is the most valuable on the planet and it’s an annoyance to her to have to stop and fill her tank LOL

I remember seeing something about this service a few months back. I'm not sure if they have it where you live, but she sounds like the type of person that might be willing to pay the extra money to use the service. https://www.trybooster.com/

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
We get the same with our Tahoe 17 hwy and 11city maybe.

I used to get onto my wife every time I got in her Tahoe and it had less then 1/4 of a tank. Drove me nuts since its hard on the fuel pump and I like to have vehicals full for emergencies. Now since all of her trips are to and from school/work with the kids every weekend on one of my errands I fill it up for her. It gives me a chance to look it over for damage as well as repairs that need to be made to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I generally do the same as you when I home. I travel for work though and can be gone for a couple months at a time. She just needs to get her ass out of bed 10 min earlier or stop on the way home lol

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
In my 2014 1500 5.3, I disabled AFM via tune and bumped timing a bit and gained 1mpg. I'd def put a catch can on there as well.

For custom tubes there is black bear performance or diablew. Both offer a nice custom job for less than $500. Driveability is way enhanced

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
In my 2014 1500 5.3, I disabled AFM via tune and bumped timing a bit and gained 1mpg. I'd def put a catch can on there as well.

For custom tubes there is black bear performance or diablew. Both offer a nice custom job for less than $500. Driveability is way enhanced
I guess someone is going to have to explain what catch can they are talking about.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
It's the gas version of ccv re route.

Plumbs in pre intake. The new motors are DI
And it helps reduce intake coking. I had to walnut blast mine around 20k miles, put that on and the vavlves were still clean when I sold it 20k miles later

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
The 6.2 hauls the mail. I drove the regular yukon first... Then the Denali. The old lady likes her Denali. Its getting around 18 mpg on the hwy.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
The 6.2 is no joke. I often drive her current Denali just to have a little fun spirited drive. But I literally can’t justify paying $10,000 for the 6.2 when we don’t need it. The SLT were looking at has everything that a Denali does minus a couple pieces of wood grain trim. Plus she really likes the metallic iridium color.
And someone has already replaced the factory SLT grill with the Denali grill. And it has the gunmetal gray Denali rims on it already. But if it were mine I would want the 6.2 lol

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK

x2 on the mileage. My wife’s ‘16 suburban gets the same.

To the OP, get a Yukon XL and you’ll get a bigger tank. 30 gals I believe.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
x2 on the mileage. My wife’s ‘16 suburban gets the same.

To the OP, get a Yukon XL and you’ll get a bigger tank. 30 gals I believe.

XL is out. She doesn’t want the longer Yukon. She doesn’t need a Yukon period to be honest. All of her kids are older 16 and up so no real need for it in my opinion. But it’s what she feels the most comfortable in and it’s what she wants. Happy wife happy life.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
New tahoes get great mileage and are plenty strong. You can tune it and do intake and exhaust to get about 30rwhp out of it on a 93 tune.