• 305 rebuild

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 383 is block is good

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
If it was me I would put the 305 back in the Malibu and build the BBC. Me and my Dad with the help of a few friends built the motor in my old 79 GMC some 6 years ago. These are the specs of that motor:
454 std bore
Stock rods w/ ARP bolts
Stock pistons w/ new rings
High volume oil pump
Stock crank, journals cleaned up
Oval port heads, 2.06/1.75 valves, 112cc chambers, no machining done
Stock head bolts I think
Comp Cams springs, retainers, locks, rocker studs, guide plates, seals
Larger diameter pushrods, and stamped steel rockers
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy XE268H cam, hydraulic, flat tappet, 224/[email protected], .515/.520 lift
Weiand Action Plus intake, Edelbrock 750, Dynomax headers, Mallory distributor

Maybe not the fanciest build, but it was a fun truck and everyday I regret selling it...to my Dad:D. I used it as a daily driver for a while before I bought a new truck. I usually averaged around 8-10 mpg at best. :)

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
BBC would be my vote =)

did the cam go flat in the Malibu?
i new about the oil and the lack of zinc and other lube minerals that were normaly in in then oil that had been removed

no the camshaft is fine in the BBC you and i put in. cylinders #5 and 6 run ~150-200* cooler at idle then the other 6. also have #1 has piston slap.

Dan

currently the BBC in the Malibu has the following
208/218 @.050 .475/.500
same heads as yours with K-motion 800 valve springs retainers and locks
comp 1.72 roller tip rockers
edelbrok O-port manifold dual plane from dave
MSD 6A box
MSD pro-billet distributor
msd blaster ss coil
msd sc wires
600cfm carb
with 26" tires +2.41:1 gears the 750 cfm carb didnt like it too much...
80gph summit fuel pump
summit high flow water pump
1 7/8 tube headers
ARP bolts
HV oil pump

coming back from down week form college me and another guy and 600lb of stuff in the car avg 18mpg running ~75mph cruising at ~1800rpm.

i would put then 305 back in the wagon.. that motor has over 70,000 miles on the "re-ring" job i did in 03 on worn out cylinders walls...
and 2.41 gears woudl really be a problem here is SW pa in the hills

"ideally" i would liek to pull the bbc out of the malibu and build it.. but need the malibu running right now.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
BBC would be my vote =)
did the cam go flat in the Malibu?

did a compression test all 8 cylinders ranged from ~118-122psi IMO not to bad for 8:25:1
heres is said noise either its piston slap or a colapsed lifter.
only hear it in no load to light load conditions 1500rpm it goes away
cam has ~20,000 miles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BH0AVS8r6g

heres the EGT at 750rpm and 180* operating temp in *F
1. 512 2. 470
3. 420 4. 402
5. 340 6. 450
7. 530 8. 410

i think #5 has a problem... not sure what excatly

Last edited:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I have a 87 k5 blazer thats kind of a turd, but i got it for cheap, i thought about throwing a set of one ton axles and a rat in it this winter while im not working on my truck. But who knows.:eek:

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
im gona say 305 stroker on this one! i know i said 383 but what was i thinking:rolleyes: i love high rpm motors

wingnut96

Jul 13, 2008
Iraq 2007-2012, A'stan til now
So Adam you got out of the Navy? Dumb question I reckon but maybe you joined the reserves. Haven't talked to you for eons. But you're on the right track with continuing education and what better way to play with cool stuff. I wish you well Brudda.

This will be more work down the road but I kinda lean towards just putting the stock 305 back in there and drive it until you can get some other blocks. You wouldn't be so rushed that way and it would give you time to look. The 305 will still have smaller bores (how far can a 305 be opened up?) even if you stroke it and then you're back into 383 territory with a longer stroke. Not sure of the specs and maybe I'm thinking of the 307 with a 283 bore and 327 stroke. You're probably all set up with BBC exhaust and headers though. If you have the stock exhaust manifolds for the 305 and you can go back together easily, that might be your best (cheapest) option at this time. There should be tons of 350 blocks out there since a lot of people are going for the LXS engines. That would be my ultimate recommendation (LQ4 truck engine, trans and all the trons but oh man $$$$) but then that's a dream of mine. Almost toying with the idea of pulling a the LS2 outta the Goat and putting that in my Camaro and then a twin turbo setup in the Goat. I digress.

Other than going with the 305, I'd start looking for a better 350. The BBC with a sleeve just sounds like trouble but then I guess they have it pretty well ironed out. Sounds like a couple of those blocks are at the max on bores. Your 383 kit, is it at the stock bore. Trying to think. Isn't a 383 already at .030 to get to that size and then a 400 crank and journals turned down? Been so long since I considered going that route that I haven't researched it. Good luck and tough call. I know you want some power for those hills but maybe an interim fix would help. BBC would be cool to but I ain't sellin' my 454. :)

My bad, just went back to check you parts list. I'd still consider doing something with the 305 whether stroked or stock. Then when you pull the BBC out, tear it apart and evaluate the repair bill. Do you have that kind of time though? Sounds like you need to have another engine rebuilt and ready to go back in. Cheapest would be to slap the 305 back in but it means redoing it later on when you have a mill built up. If you have time to rebuild the BBC, I'd just go there since you have a lot of parts...barring any major damage that is.

Check ya later and enjoy class.
Wayne

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
So Adam you got out of the Navy? Haven't talked to you for eons. But you're on the right track with continuing education and what better way to play with cool stuff. I wish you well Brudda.
yep got out oct 08... been on here and compd and sled pulling my 2wd dmax ;)
This will be more work down the road but I kinda lean towards just putting the stock 305 back in there and drive it until you can get some other blocks.
the 305 i have has been re-ringed at least once on OEM bore that i know of(i did it on 03)...and i have put ~75,000 easy on the motor since. this motor was my DD when my dmax lost the engine.
You wouldn't be so rushed that way and it would give you time to look. The 305 will still have smaller bores (how far can a 305 be opened up?) even if you stroke it and then you're back into 383 territory with a longer stroke. Not sure of the specs and maybe I'm thinking of the 307 with a 283 bore and 327 stroke.
std 305 bore is 3.736 and common options up to .060 over of 3.796

You're probably all set up with BBC exhaust and headers though.
have a BBC in the car right now
If you have the stock exhaust manifolds for the 305 and you can go back together easily, that might be your best (cheapest) option at this time. have long tube headers for both motors.
There should be tons of 350 blocks out there since a lot of people are going for the LXS engines. That would be my ultimate recommendation (LQ4 truck engine, trans and all the trons but oh man $$$$) but then that's a dream of mine. Almost toying with the idea of pulling a the LS2 outta the Goat and putting that in my Camaro and then a twin turbo setup in the Goat. I digress.
IMO putting a dmax in it would be ultimate :D esepcially with the T56 tranny that is in the malibu right now :D

Other than going with the 305, I'd start looking for a better 350. The BBC with a sleeve just sounds like trouble but then I guess they have it pretty well ironed out. Sounds like a couple of those blocks are at the max on bores.
Your 383 kit, is it at the stock bore. Trying to think. Isn't a 383 already at .030 to get to that size and then a 400 crank and journals turned down?
the eagle 383 kit i have is a 350/3.75 eagle fordge(? will know tommorrow night) came with KB 135 hiper 18cc dish pistons...5.7 rods.. i killed two pistons from detonation on then first time i built an engine.. they are .030
Been so long since I considered going that route that I haven't researched it. Good luck and tough call. I know you want some power for those hills but maybe an interim fix would help. BBC would be cool to but I ain't sellin' my 454. :)

My bad, just went back to check you parts list. I'd still go with doing something with the 305 whether stroked or stock. Then when you pull the BBC out, tear it apart and evaluate the repair bill. Do you have that kind of time though? i dont know about the time.. class graduate 12-18 all project ahve to be out 12-16 iirc... 305 have been a "back up motor" for a while

Sounds like you need to have another engine rebuilt and ready to go back in. Cheapest would be to slap the 305 back in but it means redoing it later on when you have a mill built up.

Check ya later and enjoy class.
Wayne

as for exhaust/alt/power steering i have all those on hand in a box.

if i went 305.. gear change would be a MUST from 2.41 to at least 3.23/3.42 or 4.10

BTW check post 27 out... thats a vid of then 454 that is in the malibu
heeres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BH0AVS8r6g ;)

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
took my 350 4 bolt and 383 R/A and 454 and R/A to the machine shop

350 4 bolt with rusty bores is 4.075" :eek: he had .080 pistons cast all piston setup for a 3.75" crank... dont have a clue to sonic check prices... dotn have the extra $$ to pay for something that MIGHT be ok:(

454 block is getting
cleaned
bored .060 over,
decked,
mains are getting checked for straightness.
rods are getting shot peened and re-sized they are cast GMC rods with 3/8" bolts gettign ARP bolts to go in them.

i have two pistons i am looking at a Flat top or a -12cc dome piston pending how much the block gets decked.
i can get .060 over pistons for 275-280 vs 334 piston for 400.00... if i had 5.565 rods i can get them cheaper.. all i got is 5.7..

side note then bolt circle on a BBC gen 4 /SBCgen 1(2 peice) for the flexplate and flywheel are the same.... :D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
so you aren't having to do all the machining yourself for the class project? What DO you have to do? Just wondering as I figured you'd have to do EVERYTHING and all that would be done with school equipment and basically free. :confused:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
so you aren't having to do all the machining yourself for the class project? What DO you have to do? Just wondering as I figured you'd have to do EVERYTHING and all that would be done with school equipment and basically free. :confused:

there is no "machining" in school
boreing
decking
blanacing
installing valve guides
cutting the crank shaft.

closest thing to machinging i can do is a vlv job and port work.
they have 2 supper flow 600 benches. hot tank and jet washer.

and eveything you need to assemble an engine.. from ring gaps to dial bore guages degreeing engines... both in-block and over head.
incuding 2 chassis dynos.. and engine dyno is 90% done need intake/exhaust ducting plumbing waiting on corparte aproval...
6 or so run stands... strip dirt car chassis for puttin an engine in to to put it chassis dyno.

they have 2 clean rooms for engine assembly that is temp controled.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
there is no "machining" in school
boreing
decking
blanacing
installing valve guides
cutting the crank shaft.

closest thing to machinging i can do is a vlv job and port work.
they have 2 supper flow 600 benches. hot tank and jet washer.

and eveything you need to assemble an engine.. from ring gaps to dial bore guages degreeing engines... both in-block and over head.
incuding 2 chassis dynos.. and engine dyno is 90% done need intake/exhaust ducting plumbing waiting on corparte aproval...
6 or so run stands... strip dirt car chassis for puttin an engine in to to put it chassis dyno.

they have 2 clean rooms for engine assembly that is temp controled.

wish we had all that at laramie, we did have 6 clean rooms though :D beware of the ring filer ours was trashed and its part to blame why i have a 408 that leaks a qt of oil a week...