Bst Bang for your buck 1911

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
Looking at getting a pistol to throw in my pack to take bow hunting . I was looking at a remington 1911 today and liked the feel of it but I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on best bang for the buck . I am not a very knowledgeable person when it comes to diferent models so any feedback would be appreciated .

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have a kimber, but looked at the remingtons. They seemed to be a decent piece for the price. Basspro had a 100th an edition remington that was nice

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
Best bang for buck would have to be Rock Island Armory. Can be had for just over $400, goes bang every time I take it to the range, and all modifications that can be done, and that are done to higher end models, can be done with ease to RIA's. I currently have 2 1911's, one full size from RIA, and a Detonics Combat Master. The triger, sear, firing pin, break down lever, frames, everything will interchange (with exception of the Detonics Mag's will not work in the RIA, due to being too short.)

If you are in the 600-800 range, I would still recommend a RIA, as you can use that extra 200-400 on some VERY nice upgrades.

But for an out of the box gun in your range, I believe you would be happy looking at Springfield's. There lower end 1911's are towards the bottom of your budget, and fire well out of the box. You would have less left for upgrades, but the machine work is of slightly better quality. My experience has been the tolerances are the same between the stock Springfield's, and RIA's, just sometimes the RIA's need a little TLC right out of the box. Mine fired fine, but I polished the feed ramp a little as it had some tool marks.

I believe another firearm that may be in your price range would be para ordnance, but I have read nothing but negative reviews of their products for the last 3 years, so I would not recommend them.

To recap, I have a RIA in full size, worth 400 new, and about 250 in mods done to it. I have over 10k rounds through it, and it lives on the cheap range ammo (maby one or two fail to eject every 100 rounds), and fires my carry ammo 100% with out issues.

Last edited:

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
I was looking at a remington today . I loved the way it looked and the trigger felt great so that is what I was leaning towards just wanted some expert opinions .

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
A buddy of mine has a Remington, I haven't handled it so I can not offer an opinion on it, but I have read they are reliable. I truly think it is hard to screw up a 1911, the design first came out in what, 1909, and went into production in it's namesake, so the design is sound. Any decent manufacturer should make a great weapon. The only thing your paying more for is how refined it is.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have a matching set of the CDP II and ultra CDP II and love them. Flawless guns. Only bad part is they are so nice, I don't like getting them out a lot...

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
I have a matching set of the CDP II and ultra CDP II and love them. Flawless guns. Only bad part is they are so nice, I don't like getting them out a lot...

This is one of my reasons for not getting a Kimber or any other higher end gun for that matter. I would rather tune and shoot a 400-600 dollar gun than own a 1000+ safe queen.

I did get the .22 Kimber conversion, it fit's both my Detonics and RIA, and makes range day MUCH cheaper.

Last edited:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
Rock Island Armory

They are made in the Philippines but from what I have read they are forged using the Colt dies from the WWII era.

They also fit your budget and function just fine from personal experience.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
This is one of my reasons for not getting a Kimber or any other higher end gun for that matter. I would rather tune and shoot a 400-600 dollar gun than own a 1000+ safe queen.

I did get the .22 Kimber conversion, it fit's both my Detonics and RIA, and makes range day MUCH cheaper.

I was kinda joking. I get them out quite a bit. They are a blast to shoot

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
I was kinda joking. I get them out quite a bit. They are a blast to shoot

I kinda figured, but your statement, and mine, I feel are valid. I've dropped my RIA twice (my fault, mis handled it at the range, too many guns on the bench, but was unloaded both times) and bent the tritium night site on the front. Didn't even flinch.

I do have plans for a high end 1911, but I'm going to be building that one, no company makes it. Of course the price tag is going to make a kimber look like an economy car.

jcstroker

spin tires
Aug 15, 2012
Corydon , IN
i bought a slighty used ria 1911 for 300 bucks with 2 boxes of ammo.Seems to be a really nice piece so far .No jams and shoots pretty good.

Thor200587

Mar 17, 2009
I don't personally own a 1911, but the current consensus on the gun forums I read seems to be that the Kimbers are over priced based on their quality. Apparently they've been sinking a ton of money into advertisement as of late?

Not sure if you're absolutely set on a 1911 but, I went to the local shooter's world last year with my ex. Every friday they have ladies night where girls can shoot any gun they have you just have to buy their ammo. She just kept going out and trying different ones (they let me shoot them too). I shot damn near ever gun they had and ended up with a Smith & Wesson M&P that I absolutely love. Good Luck!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
No love for a Taurus 1911?! Seems at that price range, they offer a lot of nice features normally accompanying higher priced primo manufacturers. ie front strap checkered, extended beaver tail, cocking serrations on front & rear of slide, skeletonized lightweight trigger & hammer, "match" trigger, "match" barrell, chamfered mag well, etc.

Thoughts?