LBZ: Broken glow plug

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Soap and water works nice, along with not riding people's ass in the winter, I've never had any corrosion on my motors, I pressure wash them once a week in the winter and every trip to the rig from home and from the rig to home, saves a lot of headache.

Changed my first glow plug last days off at 90k and it spun right out.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
This is why I replaced all 8 glow plugs when one of mine failed at 60,000 miles, I used a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid for a few months on and off before I replaced them. All 8 came out no problems as they have been known to weld themselves in place or as I read once "became one with the engine" or head....

50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid

As clean as those motor mounts wore I'd say your motor is as clean or cleaner than mine, I'd say you'll never have an issue.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
As clean as those motor mounts wore I'd say your motor is as clean or cleaner than mine, I'd say you'll never have an issue.

Reger, that's where your wrong, the moisture is dried 100% and then wet again, when this happens over many years time and time again the glow plugs will weld themselves in place, bolts, bearing etc. do the same thing. When I removed them after what I did they came out like I had installed them yesterday...:thumb:

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
Tony Burkhard said in a thread somewhere to weld a nut to the plug and hit medium throttle with a 3/8 battery. It may take several nuts/heat cycles. Worked for me.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Reger, that's where your wrong, the moisture is dried 100% and then wet again, when this happens over many years time and time again the glow plugs will weld themselves in place, bolts, bearing etc. do the same thing. When I removed them after what I did they came out like I had installed them yesterday...:thumb:

Mine came loose with zero effort and spun out by hand. My LLY glow plugs were same way, granted they had been removed 3-4 times in 200k I never had an issue.

I can understand using something for just in case, but some of the motor pics I see of some of these trucks is just ridiculous, I wouldn't let a motor on a festiva get as bad as some I've seen esp with 150k miles or less, give or take as a lot of them have.